Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Davis colour-screen console

Posted

About time!

I wonder how much data it can store and does it still require the weatherlink dongle?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

No dongles required. It has Wi-Fi built in, which is optional whether to use it or not.

As far as I know, it's basically like a WeatherLink Live, but with a screen. I think it has an SD card slot too.

It has to be plugged in pretty much all of the time, as it's like a tablet, so it'll run out of juice quite quickly.

It's overpriced in dollars, but It looks like the UK will get stung more with the price though. $395 in the states, £499 here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Looks good, unfortunately out of my price range for now I expect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Gordon Bennet, Stupid price.

It doesn't matter what is does, a weather station is there to record and transmit data.

Rarely do I go to the main screen and even look at it, only time is after a power cut when I have to reconnect the exterior array.

Mine does everything, via the web, I can view all over my mobile, or now, over the Ecowitt  weather map too, helps for local anomaly verification.

• Like 2

Posted

I don't use a console for recording data any more. I just use WeatherLink Live, and have software capture the data. It's also all backed up on weatherlink in 5 minute increments.

My Davis VP2 console is still my favourite way to view the weather outside, because of how quickly it updates, particularly wind speeds. I have the console by my gaming/PC set up, so it's always in view. I also bought a cheap 10.1 inch tablet and made my own website template for it, so I can view my data at 5 second intervals. That sits in my porch and that gets viewed very often when having a coffee and a vape.

The new console is ridiculously priced, but unfortunately, I like it to much not to buy  it. I'll put it by my desk in place of the current VP2 console, and move the old console to the porch.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looks good doesn't look like you can download data from it though.

Posted

That's a shame. I hoped this would act like an updated datalogger and allow you to download data in a similar way to the console + weatherlink I'm using now connected to an old laptop.

That price though! 🤨

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

That's a shame. I hoped this would act like an updated datalogger and allow you to download data in a similar way to the console + weatherlink I'm using now connected to an old laptop.

That price though! 🤨

Have you thought about a WeatherLink Live?

Posted
2 hours ago, reef said:

That price though! 🤨

It may have I haven't seen the specs however it seems davis are moving to the cloud for data storage.

Posted

More info here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0515/5992/3873/files/07395.402_WeatherLink_Console_UG_RevA.pdf?v=1672878413

Here's some key points for a quick reference:

• Stores years of historical data with settable local archive update rates. This console offers years of data and analysis even without internet connection. (Dependent upon update rate.)
  • On this screen, you can change your Local Archive Rate from the default of 5 minutes to 1 minute, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or 50 minutes. You can change the Online Archive Rate in this screen as well.
  • For Online Archive Rates more frequent than 15 minutes, you must be a Pro or Pro+ subscriber. You can upgrade to Pro or Pro+ on WeatherLink.com.
  • “Local” Archive Rate refers to the frequency at which archive data is recorded on the Console’s internal database. The Console default archive rate is every 5 minutes. The more frequently data is added to the database, the faster the database will fill. However, the Console’s robust database will store historical data for years before it starts to overwrite the oldest data.

Posted

Yes they missed a trick here and should have included a method off downloading the weather to the pc as well. This could have been done over the usb c port witha bit more planning.

Posted
On 06/01/2023 at 23:53, Mapantz said:

I don't use a console for recording data any more. I just use WeatherLink Live, and have software capture the data. It's also all backed up on weatherlink in 5 minute increments.

My Davis VP2 console is still my favourite way to view the weather outside, because of how quickly it updates, particularly wind speeds. I have the console by my gaming/PC set up, so it's always in view. I also bought a cheap 10.1 inch tablet and made my own website template for it, so I can view my data at 5 second intervals. That sits in my porch and that gets viewed very often when having a coffee and a vape.

The new console is ridiculously priced, but unfortunately, I like it to much not to buy  it. I'll put it by my desk in place of the current VP2 console, and move the old console to the porch.

I operate exactly the same just using my old VP2 Console  to view real time data which I have set up in the kitchen . The WeatherLink live is great for storing data with uploads every 5 seconds and I can view on my phone or ipad anywhere . I’m not really sure what if any benefit the new console would offer .

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Yes they missed a trick here and should have included a method off downloading the weather to the pc as well. This could have been done over the usb c port witha bit more planning.

That will be possible via the API, just like WeatherLink Live.

Posted
19 hours ago, Mapantz said:

That will be possible via the API, just like WeatherLink Live.

Yes but then you're depending on the internet connection and also forcing you into having  a weatherlink live account.

Posted
Just now, The PIT said:

Yes but then you're depending on the internet connection and also forcing you into having  a weatherlink live account.

You don't need to internet connection to access the API, just a LAN.

Historical catch up data would need a WeatherLink Live subscription, just like you do now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

I have ordered one from weather shop

• Like 1

Posted

After reading an initial report from a user who has already received theirs, I won't be getting one.

They've missed several vital (for me, at least) components.

You cannot view any of your data that you've already uploaded to weatherlink.com. The console will either be for displaying your "now data" and logging it for archive purposes locally, or you set it up as a new station to send data to weatherlink.com.

You also cannot view your AirLink data.

We wait all these years for a new arrival, and they do something like that.. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

my order been delayed

We have been advised by our supplier that the expected delivery date for an item or items in your order has changed. We are now expecting the item(s) to arrive on 05-04-2023. We will despatch your order to you as soon as we receive the item(s). Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Posted
On 07/02/2023 at 21:11, Mapantz said:

After reading an initial report from a user who has already received theirs, I won't be getting one.

They've missed several vital (for me, at least) components.

You cannot view any of your data that you've already uploaded to weatherlink.com. The console will either be for displaying your "now data" and logging it for archive purposes locally, or you set it up as a new station to send data to weatherlink.com.

You also cannot view your AirLink data.

We wait all these years for a new arrival, and they do something like that.. 🤦‍♂️

Is data from weatherlink 6 that is already archived (.wlk file form) from an old console/pc viewable on this? I don't use weatherlink.com and Im guessing if I was to do so then it'd have to be as a new station altogether.

Its a shame they didn't allow Airlink data to be viewed. Hopefully in time it'll be updated to do so in firmware.

I don't really see who this is targeted at. It just seems like a straight console replacement with no real extra features and if anything, more limitations.

Posted
20 minutes ago, reef said:

Is data from weatherlink 6 that is already archived (.wlk file form) from an old console/pc viewable on this? I don't use weatherlink.com and Im guessing if I was to do so then it'd have to be as a new station altogether.

Unfortunately not. The data that is viewable is the data that the console stores itself, which doesn't need a weatherlink live account.

I'm extremely disappointed with what has been shown so far. I said on another forum, it's as if Davis made this 10 years ago, and put the project in a cupboard and forgot about it, until now.

There's been several firmware upgrades to it, and a user who updated said that the console froze and had to be reset. Also, while it froze, the image on the screen caused burn in after an hour of it being on.

No altimeter setting for pressure adjustment on it, either.

It's barely worth £150 imo, as it's just a glorified mid-range tablet with a WeatherLink Live chip inside of it. 

The lack of other features is an absolute deal breaker.

Posted

Ridiculous really, though not surprising with Davis. I've had a Davis station for 13 years now and in that time there have been few software or firmware updates. Back then it wasn't an issue as the hardware was so superior, nowadays however others have caught up.

I'd have preferred an updated console along with an updated ISS which allowed more channels, more frequent transmission, the use of multiple anemometer transmitters, airlink integrated, expandable memory and a good colour interface. A few hardware improvements like 24/7 AC powered FARS, 0.1mm rainfall gauge and a proper sunshine recorder. They could even call it a VP3 as we've been on VP2 almost 20 years now!

• Like 2