Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What did you think of 2022?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Happy new year, all. 🎆

The year 2022 is officially the warmest year on record and saw quite a few temperature records being broken in various places across the UK and will go down as being a memorable year. We had the warmest New Year's Day on record, a mild but stormy February, 40 Celsius was reached for the first time, an exceptionally mild autumn and the warmest Armistice Day on record. This was followed by a cold start to the winter which came as a bit of a shock to the system for many of us.

Having an interest in seasonal weather, I have a love-hate relationship with 2022. Winter on both sides of the year were somewhat disappointing. Both January and December had some great potential, and whilst my neck of the woods did have a few snowfalls in January it never actually settled. I enjoyed the stormy February and spring was decent enough. I also enjoyed the build up to that very first 40 Celsius day, and all the excitement from members on here. What made summer disappointing though was the lack of thunderstorms, which is becoming as precious as snow. I enjoyed September as it had a lot to offer and it actually felt seasonal for the most part, but the rest of the autumn was in my opinion mediocre at best.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

it sucked

Couldn't agree more, on a personal note at least. And I mean it REALLY did. 

As far as the weather is concerned it wasn't a lot better for the most part although Storm Eunice was rather interesting here, first time I'd really experienced winds as strong as that.

I missed most of the hot weather as I was stuck inside for most of it, not that it got as hot here as the sea breeze kept it cooler most of the time, but was still something I wish I'd been able to experience a bit more than I did. It was interesting seeing what was happening elsewhere during that spell, apart from the wildfires it caused. 

I had a couple of thunderstorms that were both decent. One at night In May which produced a great light show, just a shame it was fast moving so didn't last long. The other one was a daytime storm in October which produced at least two tornadoes nearby and left us without power for a while that day. 

So overall I guess not the most interesting and not the most seasonal at lot of the time but did have a few redeeming features.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

Couldn't agree more, on a personal note at least. And I mean it REALLY did. 

As far as the weather is concerned it wasn't a lot better for the most part although Storm Eunice was rather interesting here, first time I'd really experienced winds as strong as that.

I missed most of the hot weather as I was stuck inside for most of it, not that it got as hot here as the sea breeze kept it cooler most of the time, but was still something I wish I'd been able to experience a bit more than I did. It was interesting seeing what was happening elsewhere during that spell, apart from the wildfires it caused. 

I had a couple of thunderstorms that were both decent. One at night In May which produced a great light show, just a shame it was fast moving so didn't last long. The other one was a daytime storm in October which produced at least two tornadoes nearby and left us without power for a while that day. 

So overall I guess not the most interesting and not the most seasonal at lot of the time but did have a few redeeming features.

I forgot about 2022 weather wise lol, sucked too, winter sucked, summer sucked, 40c sucked, autumn sucked, had a bit of winter in early December which was nice, before the sucking returned for Christmas lol.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Even though it got really hot in a couple of instances, for here, Summer was only really one of the things weather-wise I liked about 2022. Mostly dry and bright which is what I liked, even though there could have been a bit more in the way of thunderstorms and overnight rain to make up for the fact some of the plants were suffering from the dry and hot weather. Thunderstorms are additionally just fun to observe. 

Rather enjoyed most of Spring, too. Offered a fair amount of sunny and useable days, but I think was quite showery at times too. 

Only other exception for this year was the early to mid December cold spell. Despite the snow shield staying mostly at full power (took a little battering on the odd occasion), the frosty conditions combined with the dusting of snow lasted for a number of days, more specifically over shaded areas. Made the landscape seem enchanting.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
34 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I forgot about 2022 weather wise lol, sucked too, winter sucked, summer sucked, 40c sucked, autumn sucked, had a bit of winter in early December which was nice, before the sucking returned for Christmas lol.

A theme? Alot Sucked.....🙃😉

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
46 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

A theme? Alot Sucked.....🙃😉

Don't get me wrong two days were awesome🥳

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 1

Posted

Too hot! The July and August spells were horrible. Many people were fed up by the end of it.

Other than that, the rest of the year was just incessant mild and humid.. especially the Autumn, what a disaster. 

Only spells I enjoyed was the December cold spell, the anticyclonic January and end of March.. you can tell what my preferences are 😁

3/10

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Frigid said:

Too hot! The July and August spells were horrible. Many people were fed up by the end of it.

Other than that, the rest of the year was just incessant mild and humid.. especially the Autumn, what a disaster. 

Only spells I enjoyed was the December cold spell, the anticyclonic January and end of March.. you can tell what my preferences are 😁

3/10

I don't recall any particular humidity which is probably why the maximums were so high compared with minimums which tends to go with dry conditions which 2022 had a lot of really until the autumn when the rain returned with the exception of early to mid December.

Generally one extreme or another throughout

"Extreme" dry if you can call it that with a more or less 8 or 9 month long drought from January to September with very few interruptions, mostly February and early June

Extreme heat for definite in the 2 day July burst with more typical modern style heat spell in August.

Cold and wet were the themes that generally lacked in 2022 with the exception of the cold and dry spell in December (The above average temp run had to end eventually)

Winter 2021/22 (Jan and Feb part anyway)

January 2022 - Generally dull and boring January with little frost and virtually no rain or snow either.

February 2022 - The only winter month with any weather action with the het stream and the Atlantic paying us a 1 month visit including storm Eunice,

Spring 2022

March 2022 - The first month I saw any settling snow since early December 2021 and this took until the end of March to arrive

April 2022 - So boring I have no standout memory

May 2022 - Similar to April 2022

Summer 2022

June 2022 - This month started off cool and wet around the time of the Jubilee and at this stage it looked like a cool washout summer was on the way, how wrong that turned out to be and as June progressed it got drier and a lot warmer, a hint of what was to come in July and August.

July 2022 - A very warm month overall but most memorable on the 18th and 19th. The build up to 40C was an incredible one and how the models saw these days coming from very much 15/16 days away. The consistency of the 40C 2m max temps appearing on the models was unusual and I thought, no way is this going to actually happen. These models are overcooking the temps again like they usually do. They got this bang on as it turned out.

August 2022 - Finally a decent August and a long time coming after all the drab and meh ones since 2003. Managed to get another hot spell out of the summer too but at least none of that 40C heat this time. To have that once was exceptional but if we'd done it again a few weeks later that would be an event that would probably not be repeated for a long time.

Autumn 2022

September 2022 - After all the heat of the summer it was pleasing to get those cooler days in the 2nd half of the month but it was the only cooler weather of the entire autumn as it turned out.

October + November 2002 - A boring mild period which helped to really seal the fate of 2022 as the warmest year on record for the UK, all UK nations as well as the warmest annual CET mean year as well.

December 2022 - The only colder than average month of 2022. It was exciting when the cold spell came, not for any snow amount but for watching the rolling annual CET mean and how it was dropping quite quickly during that cold spell and how at one point mid December it looked like we were going to miss out on the warmest year on the CET record but the mild weather from the 19th onwards ensured the record fell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Long dry periods interspersed by abrupt but short lived unsettled ones was the theme of 2022, though things seemed to balance out more from September onwards. I remember how frustrating it was when any rain being forecast kept getting pushed back, watered down or cancelled altogether. Does seem like a distant memory now though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
7 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Long dry periods interspersed by abrupt but short lived unsettled ones was the theme of 2022, though things seemed to balance out more from September onwards. I remember how frustrating it was when any rain being forecast kept getting pushed back, watered down or cancelled altogether. Does seem like a distant memory now though.

Sort of a continuation of the long dry periods we've had on a number of occasions over the last few years really. Just this time without the long wet periods that have often happened too. 

Posted

The unbelievable heat in July was the obvious standout, I’ve never experienced heat like that in this country. The August heatwave was memorable too and by that point the whole country’s grass was scorched and brown.

The December cold spell was nice before Christmas, other than that it was a boring year, especially January and April.

One of the worst years I can recall for storms, I found 2021 a lot more interesting weather wise.

• Like 2

Posted

Not just last year here that was largely uneventful, the last few years have been with just the odd moment of interest. 

Posted

Personnally I think its been a great year weather wise. Storm Eunice, then there was the summer which was amazing. Thunderstorms in late spring early June and then again in September and October and strong storms at that. Then we had a sprinkling of snow in December which stayed for 5/6 days and about 11 nights of frost on the trot. I mean I know thats not much for some but compared to some years around here its been pretty entertaining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

A very memorable year. I love heat and I love snow. We got a good dollop of both. 

Winter 2021/22 was awful for cold and snow, but at least it was dry with plenty of beautiful winter sunshine. I'll take that any day over wind and rain. The exception was Storm Eunice, which was quite an event. 

Summer 2022 was exceptional. Lots of warm/hot/very hot and sunny weather made it an all time classic. Loved every minute of that weather. 

The worst part of the year was the second half of Autumn - although the rain was badly needed, from a personal preference point of view, November 2022 was god damn awful. Frequent rain made it a washout. 

December 2022 - excellent first half, poor second half. We had a week of almost entirely sub zero temperatures with thick lying snow that barely melted at all. It was wonderful. 6 inches fell in the evening of Sunday the 11th and it didn't really start melting until late on Saturday the 17th and mostly on Sunday the 18th. 

Summer heat:

Could contain: Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Tree, Fir, Scenery, Shelter, Vegetation, Grass, Monastery

Winter snow:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Wheel, Machine, Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Winter, Weather, Snow

Could contain: Outdoors, Chair, Furniture, Nature, Snow, Weather, Winter

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Yard, Ice, Tree, Plant, Fir, Scenery, Snow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1