Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

February 2005

damianslaw

Posted

Trying to recall when we've had cold locked in synoptics that hasn't resulted from a SSW excluding Dec 10 and Dec 09 - Jan 10, I think late Feb 05 fits the bill, don't think there was a SSW that caused it.

I remember being very surprised to see the long fetch easterly flow towards the latter part of February, especially given how atlantic driven the winter had been until that point.

Any one more qualified than me, give reasoning / explanation for the sudden change in fortunes. We had seen some easterly influence latter part of winter 00/01 but not since Dec 96 into Jan 97 had we seen a sustained easterly flow.  I think it was a easterly/northerly/easterly flow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Looking at the synoptic charts and upper air temperatures, they weren't exceptional but there were patches of -10C uppers around so it wasn't quite as weak as I thought. I think had the synoptics occured at a different time it could have been very severe. December 2004 and January 2005 had been very mild for most of northern Europe so they were feeble in comparison to normal.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

The U.K. did miss out in February 2005 as it was actually a very cold February for much of the continent, even against the 1961-1990 average.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

We somewhat missed out on a notably cold March too. March 2005 was very cold across Scandinavia. We did have a cold period from mid-February to mid-March 2005 though, hidden by two unexceptional months in the C.E.T. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person

Edited by LetItSnow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
18 hours ago, Don said:

Possibly the most wishy washy long fetch easterly ever?!!

thaws between showers, decent ish E'ly, but not like Feb '94

Posted

I was in NE England at the time and remember lots of snow showers that gaev temporary coverings but were followed by quick thaws, it was quite marginal away from higher ground but there were a number of days with snowfall and patchy snow cover. Had it arrived a month earlier on the back of a colder period then it would have been quite severe I imagine. Still it was very refreshing to see such synoptics after a very long period of predominantly atlantic airstreams - more or less since Jan 97 bar occasions in winter 00/01, most cold and snow came from brief northerly shots.

Posted
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

thaws between showers, decent ish E'ly, but not like Feb '94

IMBY there were a fair few snow showers but only one fall partially settled overnight and had gone by lunchtime!  Overnight temps around 0C and daytime 4-6C throughout the spell.  Obviously, areas with elevation did better, but it was rather poor given the synoptics!

Posted

Feb 2005 saw some new records for most continuous days with falling snow. Unfortunately it was very light or snizzle for most.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
On 14/01/2023 at 09:58, Alexis said:

Feb 2005 saw some new records for most continuous days with falling snow. Unfortunately it was very light or snizzle for most.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Yes I remember seeing falling snow 15 days in a row, from 20th February to 6th March, but never did it lay more than a centimetre deep or more than a few hours at a time. A very disappointing easter

Ly