Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The absolute champion of European heat: Lindos, Greece

Athens Heat

Posted

Here you go guys!

Lindos in Rhodes is the warmest area of geographical Europe by far

With an average annual temperature of almost 22.0°C according to the official climate database of the National Observatory of Athens (https://www.meteo.gr/climate/), Lindos beats any area in geographical Europe! In fact it beats areas outside of Europe which are way south of Lindos. A few examples: It is is even warmer annually than the Canary islands, Cairo, Tel Aviv, Brasilia, areas in N and S Okinawa, Heyuan (located in the Tropic of Cancer) and areas of metropolitan Taipei!

It even ties Daytona Beach in Florida!

In August 2021 it broke the all time European record for the warmest month in European history!

This is due to the constant hot foehn winds the leeward side of Rhodes experiences year round!

Could contain: Scoreboard, Chart, Plot, Heat Map

Could contain: Poster, Advertisement, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Good to know. Stayed 19km south of here at Kiotari…..twice in 2019, June & September. Beautiful heat. Loved it.

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 16/01/2023 at 21:57, RebsAbbo said:

Good to know. Stayed 19km south of here at Kiotari…..twice in 2019, June & September. Beautiful heat. Loved it.

Yeah, it's dry heat so it's not uncomfortable 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Lovely bay there almost closed in great for kid’s swimming 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Posted

Updated climate data for Lindos until Feb 2023.

Next month it will enter its 10th year of operation with freely available data and the fact it persists to around 22C average annual temperature is significant for European standards.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Scoreboard, Measurements, Text

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

Been to Rhodes and we stayed in Faliraki, went to Lindos on motorbikes and on the way you just got blasted by pockets of hot air, probably the hottest place I've been and that was 25 years ago so will be hotter now.

Off topic but I see Seville in Spain is forecast temps in the 30's all next week, god knows how hot it will be there in July.

Edited by CongletonHeat

Posted
23 hours ago, CongletonHeat said:

Been to Rhodes and we stayed in Faliraki, went to Lindos on motorbikes and on the way you just got blasted by pockets of hot air, probably the hottest place I've been and that was 25 years ago so will be hotter now.

Off topic but I see Seville in Spain is forecast temps in the 30's all next week, god knows how hot it will be there in July.

Cheers for the heads up. We're off to Seville next Sunday.

We liked Lindos. Stayed up the hill, which was always a sweaty walk back.

I remember getting the bus down to the next town to the South, but there was literally nothing there, so just sat in an air-con pub for few hours until the bus came back for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Pretty sure the hottest place in Europe on average is actually somewhere in Spain not Greece.

Average temps in Seville and Cordoba are a bit higher than anywhere in Greece almost all year round. Not by a lot but it's still warmer in Andalusia.

Could contain: Scoreboard, Chart, Heat MapCould contain: Chart, Heat Map, Scoreboard

Edited by Dark Horse

Posted
1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

Pretty sure the hottest place in Europe on average is actually somewhere in Spain not Greece.

If you are talking long term averages, then its Greece again. The whole of Athens Riviera basically 

It's a pity Lindos has a station only the past 10 years. I think however a full 30 years time series would again be around 22C average annual T.

Btw here is an interesting article comparing Athens Riviera vs Seville average annual Ts. It's in Greek but with google translate you should be able to get a good idea.

https://www.meteoclub.gr/themata/egkyklopaideia/athinaiki-riviera-thermoteri-perioxi-stin-evropi

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
55 minutes ago, Athens Heat said:

If you are talking long term averages, then its Greece again. The whole of Athens Riviera basically 

It's a pity Lindos has a station only the past 10 years. I think however a full 30 years time series would again be around 22C average annual T.

Btw here is an interesting article comparing Athens Riviera vs Seville average annual Ts. It's in Greek but with google translate you should be able to get a good idea.

https://www.meteoclub.gr/themata/egkyklopaideia/athinaiki-riviera-thermoteri-perioxi-stin-evropi

Official stats are the stats though and are what we have at our disposal not unofficial hear say. No official stats say that Greece is warmer on long term averages. The south of Spain is clearly a warmer zone in terms of average temps. Record high temperatures are also higher by a good few degrees in Spain; both Seville and Cordoba can reach 40c as early as May and the heat stays longer into the year as well which shows the country is more prone to extreme heat compared to Greece.

Posted
1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

Official stats are the stats though and are what we have at our disposal not unofficial hear say. No official stats say that Greece is warmer on long term averages. The south of Spain is clearly a warmer zone in terms of average temps. Record high temperatures are also higher by a good few degrees in Spain; both Seville and Cordoba can reach 40c as early as May and the heat stays longer into the year as well which shows the country is more prone to extreme heat compared to Greece.

Sorry I think you are confused. You are the one who spoke about warmer ON AVERAGE.

That's Greece. No doubt about it. I am talking average annual temperature wise. So official 30 year stats show that the port of Athens, Piraeus for the period 1981-2010 has avg annual T of 19.4C vs 19.2C for Seville which is Spain's warmest on average. Did you even click on my photo?

Leaving aside the official 30 year stats the Lindos station is a very much official met station of the National Observatory of Athens. Below the climate normals for Lindos (albeit only for 10 years) from the National Observatory of Athens. An astounding 21.9C average annual T. Values unheard of in Europe

https://www.meteo.gr/climate/  (locate Lindos in the map and click on it)

Where I do agree with you is that summer average high Ts are higher in Cordoba. Seville is second best from major Spanish cities but even Greek cities beat the summer average high of Seville. Most notably Sparta. Cordoba however is unmatched in average summer Ts. Another point is that extreme heat in terms of records is Greece again as the official European record of 48C was recorded in Athens.

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted
3 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Cordoba can reach 40c as early as May and the heat stays longer into the year as well which shows the country is more prone to extreme heat compared to Greece.

Greece can also do that. Practically anywhere in S. Europe this is feasible. 

Also below are the record high Ts per month in Europe. 8 out of 12 months Greece holds the record

4 months go to Spain (2 ties with Greece)

1 month to Portugal 

1 month to France

https://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/99974-inventory-of-the-weather-records-for-european-countries/&do=findComment&comment=1123134

Could contain: Scoreboard, Chart

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted
2 hours ago, Athens Heat said:

1 month to France

Actually, that one which is the Feb record goes to Greece also. From the official station of the National Observatory in Athens located in Vryses, Crete with 32.1C

Posted

The title of this thread isn't true though. Like I said official statistics are there. And they show that places such as Seville and Cordoba are warmer than anywhere in Greece (on average). If you can show me an official graph of somewhere in Greece that is warmer than those places on average then please do so but you still haven't. My point stands.

Posted
7 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

The title of this thread isn't true though. Like I said official statistics are there. And they show that places such as Seville and Cordoba are warmer than anywhere in Greece (on average). If you can show me an official graph of somewhere in Greece that is warmer than those places on average then please do so but you still haven't. My point stands.

Come on, I already did that. Piraeus -the port of Athens-  from official stations has the highest average annual T in Europe from official 30 year stats. Cordoba has a mere 18.3C avg annual T. It's clueless to suggest Cordoba. Seville is the warmest in Spain and it is overtaken at every turn by many Greek official stations.

Btw here is the official  graphs of Lindos from the official station of the National Observatory of Athens.  Lindos is undoubtedly the warmest area of Europe from official stations the past decade with 21.9C avg annual T. 

https://www.meteo.gr/climate/

Could contain: Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, Plot

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted

There's no way Greece beats Spain. Look at the weather forecast for Seville. Granted it's about 6c above normal but you rarely see such conditions this early in Greece but you can in Spain. You are also using the daily mean. Most people use the yearly average high rather than the yearly daily mean as the latter is too vague and it doesn't take into account plumes and such which are more common place in Spain compared to Greece. Just like people use the yearly average low as well when assertaining how low temps might be in the winter. The yearly averages give a much better representation of the true conditions. Also snow is way more common in lowland Greece compared to lowland Spain as you are far more prone to cold NE winds from Ukraine/Russia and are away from the Gulf stream. Sorry but Greece is clearly a cooler place. Last time Seville had lying snow was 1954. How many times has Athens or even Crete had heavy snow cover in the last 70 years?....... loads of times I've seen it for myself on the news. 

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

There's no way Greece beats Spain. 

Realistically speaking there are no areas in the entirety of geographical Europe that can match the average annual T's of Greece. This has been particularly highlighted the past two decades when Greece through the massive network of the National Observatory of Athens has created the richest and biggest met station network in Europe and probably one of the largest in the world for its size. We currently have more that 600 official met stations (both from NOA and HNMS) which beats by far the UK for instance. 

No one uses the annual average max to ascertain the warmest place on average. At least in academia, research, peer reviewed articles, national met offices and so on. Everyone and I mean everyone in the globe use the AVERAGE ANNUAL T as the single most defining factor of ascertaining how cold or hot an area is on average. The use of the average annual T is the central variable used in major met applications, study of climate change, global warming and so on. It is clueless to suggest that anyone who knows basic meteorology will use the average annual high to determine how hot an area is on average annually. Like totally clueless my friend. 

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted
4 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Look at the weather forecast for Seville. Granted it's about 6c above normal but you rarely see such conditions this early in Greece but you can in Spain.

That might be the single most ridiculous comment I have ever read in a met forum. It goes to show that many people have no idea about Greece's climate. I am actually surprised that I am reading this at a European met forum.

My friend, do u know Greece's largest island? Crete? Well guess what, Crete and almost half of South Greece can see up to 30's in January! Yes January! This has never happened in Iberia. Our proximity to Sahara and Crete's unique orography give some crazy winter high Ts when strong S winds blow occasionally. We have had consecutive weeks in January or February in the past with highs of over 25C non stop in Crete. I mean come on, do your research mate. We are talking South Greece here. Not a random cool place in Central Europe.

As for the frequency of snow in South Greece. Ok I don't blame u for this one. Since not many people are aware of the Aegean Stream and how this can be responsible for giving snowfalls in South Greece even at +7C or +8C. Snow at such high Ts means nothing on determining how cold South Greece actually is. Anyway the phenomenon is amazing and very beautiful. Please read more from the link below.

https://community.netweather.tv/topic/84989-weather-news-from-greece/?do=findComment&comment=4778078

Btw mind you that the Aegean Stream influences only specific areas of S. Greece and most notably Crete due to its huge landmass. Anything E of Crete barely sees any snow. The port of Rhodes for example has never, ever seen settled snow the past 2 centuries that we have reliable sources. Kasos, Kastelorizo, Karpathos and various other islands in the Dodecanese have also never recorded settled snow at sea level the past couple of centuries.

In fact coastal South Karpathos has never seen a T lower than +2.2C for more than half a century when observations start on the island. At the same time even Malaga has dropped to -4C in the 1950's. Come on. Are you seriously comparing the cold dynamic of a huge landmass like Iberia compared to the islands of South Greece?  

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted

Like I said most people in the meteorological community use the yearly average high rather than the yearly daily mean, for reasons that I've already underscored but I see you've now resorted to insults saying I'm clueless but really that just shows that you've been shown up for who you are, the insult that you've accused me of, how ironic.  

And there's nothing "realistic" about your posts given some people may also argue that not only is Seville warmer than the warmest place in Greece but also the Canary islands are as well in some instances. They are very much part of Spain. Just like Cyprus is a long way from mainland Greece but is also part of Greece on the south side.

And yes I have been comparing the bigger Iberian landmass to Greece and that's the main reason it's warmer than Greece, plus the closer proximity to Africa and the Sahara with the small strait of Gibraltar that makes hot air filter into Spain far more easily than it does to Greece. You have a bigger sea to your south which without a doubt modifys the heat coming in from Africa. You can see this often thoughout the summer with 20c+ upper air temps regularily over Spain but over Greece it's normally around 15-18c. That's the modification of the hot air.

Posted
2 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Just like Cyprus is a long way from mainland Greece but is also part of Greece on the south side.

Sorry my friend, but the clueless things you have said are getting more and more impressive. The above quote takes top prize though. Cyprus is not a part of Greece, never was. 🤣🤣🤣

And yes the whole world uses average annual T as the absolute indicator of how warm/cold an area is on average annually. Welcome to Meteorology 101. It's really pointless to argue with someone who has below average understanding of what they are talking about. 

Get over it my friend. Areas of South Greece are by far and by a huge margin the warmest areas of geographical Europe on average annually. Plain and simple. 

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted

When comparing both Seville and Lindos the most important thing to note (and you've probably missed this out on purpose or don't fully understand how the daily mean is properly calculated) is the only reason Lindos has a higher daily mean compared to Seville is because the nights are warmer in Lindos but not by day, Seville is a bit hotter. Having higher average temps at night increases the daily mean as both the average high and average low temps either side of the daily mean on the graphs are calculated to give the final daily mean. Clueless am I? nope it's you.  I've just schooled you here.

But in any case no one really cares much about night time temps as it's dark, temps do drop away and the sun is down. It's how hot it gets in the day that makes people take far more notice, as you are more active then and are far more likely to be outside in the heat. And by day it's clearly a bit hotter in Seville than Lindos and every single place in Greece too practically all year round going by the average high temps. Not night time though I'll concede that, at night it's warmer in Lindos but in the daytime it's a bit hotter in Seville. Sorry but that is indisputable going by these graphs. If you still disagree then that's not my problem the problem lies with yourself. Maybe complain to the Spanish weather service if it bothers you so much.

Edited by Dark Horse

Posted
7 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

When comparing both Seville and Lindos the most important thing to note (and you've probably missed this out on purpose or don't fully understand how the daily mean is properly calculated) is the only reason Lindos has a higher daily mean compared to Seville is because the nights are warmer in Lindos 

Hello, that's how daily means work. It's a relief you finally understood what it means to be warmer annually on average

Lindos beats Seville by almost 3C in average annual temperatures. That is huge! Virtually unbeatable in Europe. 

At least you have to admit that you learned at least 2 things from this thread:

a) That Lindos is the warmest place in geographical Europe by far.

b) That Cyprus is not a part of Greece.

Take the win mate!

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted

I've not admitted to anything. I still believe what I believe - in that Seville is hotter by day (the most important factor), that's as clear as day going by average high temps. But Lindos is only warmer at night which is no where near as important. Sorry but Spain is still hotter by day.

Posted
12 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

I've not admitted to anything. I still believe what I believe - in that Seville is hotter by day (the most important factor), that's as clear as day going by average high temps. But Lindos is only warmer at night which is no where near as important. Sorry but Spain is still hotter by day.

Who gives a lemon only about ''by day'' . That's not how science works

On average throughout the year South Greece beats the heck out of any area in geographical Europe. 

It is the very definition internationally of being the warmest area in Europe with Lindos being the absolute champion by far. 

Edited by Athens Heat

Posted

Pretty much everyone apart from yourself cares about how hot it gets during the day in these areas lol. No body gives a monkey about a warm night. Sorry Spain is warmer by day, the most important thing.