Snow?
Local
Radar
Winter
IGNORED

How strong is your password?

Paul

Posted

For added security, would it be possible for some time in the future for the option of two factor authentication?

Posted

Just little note on one way to make a pretty strong password. 

Pick a word (preferably in a other language) or the name of a city, that you can easily remember and over 6 letters. 

Eg, helsinki

Now split that word in two. 

Eg, hels inki

Capitalise one or more letters

Eg, helS inki

Add a memorable date however you wish in between those two. Use any date form you wish, yyyy, dd/mm/yyyy, dd/mm/yy etc. (Not a big anniversary such as birth etc, something else but one that you remember) 

Eg, helS24575inki

Add one or more non numeral/alphabet characters. 

Eg, helS24575%inki©$

Breaking a password down in this way makes it easier to remember, but follows the rules of having small case, capitals, numbers and special characters. 

How to remember? 

My chosen city is helsinki with a capital S, my date is as a percentage after the S, its all copyright, and makes dollars! 

Make it unique to you, and constructed in a way you will remember, it doesn't have to be the same format as above, can be a way you create. 

And no, it's not my password, don't bother trying 😁

Edited by SnowBear
    Spelling
    • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I just use a password manager now. I have crazy-long passwords for every site I use that requires them, and don't have to remember them.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
    On 27/01/2023 at 23:02, Mapantz said:

I just use a password manager now. I have crazy-long passwords for every site I use that requires them, and don't have to remember them.

As long as you don't use lastpass

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
    On 27/01/2023 at 23:02, Mapantz said:

All well and good Mapantz...

(I too use a password manager)

But how do you transfer over to a new PC, when your current one is outdated?.

MIne is still good and quick (Windows 10), but I cannot upgrade to Windows 11, as I have an HP with Intel chips.

I have just found out that currently Microsoft will not let me upgrade due to the Intel chips.

I understand that it will require an upgrade from Intel first,  and they have as yet not shown any interest.

By the way you can get new  Intel based ones to load Windows 11 from new!! (which is the reason that ask the question).

MIA    

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
    • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
    1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

It's cloud-based, so it works across all your devices. 😃

1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

I have just found out that currently Microsoft will not let me upgrade due to the Intel chips.

What motherboard/CPU are you using?

TPM 2.0 might be in your BIOS, but disabled. Mine was when I was using an MSI z590 motherboard, so I enabled it in the BIOS which allowed me to upgrade to Windows 11.

Since then, I upgraded to a z690 motherboard with an i5 13600K CPU, and TPM 2.0 is automatically enabled.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
    2 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

MIne is still good and quick (Windows 10), but I cannot upgrade to Windows 11, as I have an HP with Intel chips.

I understand that it will require an upgrade from Intel first,  and they have as yet not shown any interest.

By the way you can get new  Intel based ones to load Windows 11 from new!! (which is the reason that ask the question).

MIA    

I've got a few pc's running windows 11 which aren't compatible. Its pretty easy to do just do a quick google.

• Like 1