Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
17 minutes ago, snowray said:

That looks pretty decent.🧐

I know that we moan a lot about days getting longer in February, myself included, but having read a few things about winter Lore and weather history it's a month that can produce some of the most bitter winter weather. It's just that most of us today have not experienced a severe February in our lifetime. apart from the odd BFTE and then a quite rapid warm up.

Two very old sayings spring to mind.

As the days get longer the cold gets stronger.

and

February is short, short, but worse than a Tork. (Turk) This goes back to the time of the Ottoman Empire.

NB...Apologies if I might have bored you with my musings. Anyway, hopefully we can see further upgrades in the coming day or two which will produce a memorable February.

Not boring at all. Keep em coming. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
28 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I think we are going cold, the NAVGEM is all over it 😂🥶

Could contain: Disk, Outdoors, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Graphics, Pattern, Accessories, Outdoors, Face, Person, Head

Oi oi . Its nailed then for sure .

• Like 3

Posted
49 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I think we are going cold, the NAVGEM is all over it 😂🥶

Could contain: Disk, Outdoors, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Graphics, Pattern, Accessories, Outdoors, Face, Person, Head

Looking like Turkey is more likely going into the freezer than we are in the UK looking at those charts 

Edited by Penicuikblizzard

Posted
2 hours ago, Stuie W said:

You can`t discredit this post, who bloody knows the current evolution.  Just wished the teleconnections NAO wise were showing a more negative trend.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

Not always useful metric if there is a Scandinavian high and easterly winds the NAO is often in positive territory or neutral. 

Posted

The GFS is quite different from the Euros over southern Greenland .

It blows up low pressure which runs ne and becomes absorbed in the PV and tries to eject some shortwave energy se at the same time .

The Euros take that low east .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

It's been looking odds on for an early final warming for some time, I mentioned last week that it looks ripe for it.

CFS has been churning out run after run of Greenland blocking episodes in April and the uppers shown to be associated with these episodes have frequently touched -8 to -10!

I have been seeing this term 'early final warning' - I'm assuming that it's usual for there to be an (possibly SSW-like?) stratospheric warming event each year when the polar night recedes and the northern hemisphere starts to warm from which the SPV isn't going to recover until the next autumn, and that an 'early' final warming might make this event more dramatic and SSW-like and create a high risk of a cold spring following?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, RainAllNight said:

I have been seeing this term 'early final warning' - I'm assuming that it's usual for there to be an (possibly SSW-like?) stratospheric warming event each year when the polar night recedes and the northern hemisphere starts to warm from which the SPV isn't going to recover until the next autumn, and that an 'early' final warming might make this event more dramatic and SSW-like and create a high risk of a cold spring following?

Bingo

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Best looking cold run of the day for me (other than my outstandingly athletic dash to the log shed earlier this evening) was the 12z ECM control run all the way out to day 15 - shows how to get from dull, breezy and mild to UK / Ireland high by around day 7 / 8 to something very interesting in week 2. The control incidentally was a very good match for the op through to day 10. 

60C4FE45-0DE4-4883-A0F9-DCA79167E7F2.thumb.gif.fea739dbc52476467758ab14d399cc65.gif A81C3804-2F72-4AA0-BBB0-662D6BAD738C.thumb.gif.49c854193b37e644ba0c76e4567e6d15.gif

A fascinating evolution, resulting in 4 or 5 days of low uppers from around day 9 to day 14 (here for Birmingham, the thicker blue line), even managing to finish up with a classic Atlantic disruption setup and hints of a battleground scenario as systems approach from the southwest towards the end. Neatly sorts out that northern arm of the jet stream too!

Could contain: Plot, Chart 9D150E6F-2044-42C9-ACFE-9BF0A49CADDE.thumb.gif.a06909cae6bccd6d6469ffe978cdeff6.gif

A long way off of course, so all good fun for now but a bit of a buzz all the same to see a good number of similarly interesting op and control runs cropping up. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Final SSW average date is well into spring, however, there is more chance of an earlier date if you haven't had a major midwinter SSW, i would say looking at the data if we have an SSW, there's a chance of it not being a final warming if we had one in late Feb, but the further you go into spring there's less chance of u-wind returning to positive again.

Could contain: Chart

43247_2021_335_Fig1_HTML.png
WWW.NATURE.COM

The transition of the northern stratospheric circulation from winter to summer comes in two flavours, a smooth late one governed by radiation or an abrupt, early transition...

also, the earlier the date, the higher the polar temp anomaly so more likely to be abrupt and impactful.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Final SSW average date is well into spring, however, there is more chance of an earlier date if you haven't had a major midwinter SSW, i would say looking at the data if we have an SSW, there's a chance of it not being a final warming if we had one in late Feb, but the further you go into spring there's less chance of u-wind returning to positive again.

Yes.  It’s a certainty, I believe - by definition, a SSW has to be followed by a reversion to westerlies at 10hPa, 60N.  

Otherwise it is the final warming!

So that does make for two sorts, one by mechanisms that would otherwise be called a SSW - and have a similar effect.  And one where the vortex just peters out into the spring…

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
17 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The GFS is quite different from the Euros over southern Greenland .

It blows up low pressure which runs ne and becomes absorbed in the PV and tries to eject some shortwave energy se at the same time .

The Euros take that low east .

Slightly better than it's 12h run at day 6

Could contain: Accessories, Outdoors, Nature, Art, Hurricane, Storm, Pattern

Edited by Gowon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
3 minutes ago, Gowon said:

Slightly better than it's 12h run at day 6

Could contain: Accessories, Outdoors, Nature, Art, Hurricane, Storm, Pattern

Interesting wall running through us!

14 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Bingo

I'm going to go for broke here - is the 'stratospheric final warming' also the reason for northerly and easterly winds at the surface being more prevalent in April and May than in any other months?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

I'm going to go for broke here - is the 'stratospheric final warming' also the reason for northerly and easterly winds at the surface being more prevalent in April and May than in any other months?

It's part of it yes.

If you can get an early enough final warming, the cold that has 'bottled up' throughout winter has to drain somewhere into the mid latitudes. Obviously this is moderated by surface heating (more and more the further into spring we go) but we can still get some falls of snow and some notable cold comparable to the time of year.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

That's an impressive block over us all the way up through the arctic at 192 - the blob struggles to get past it

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

there is..but its too far east isnt it?you can already see the atlantic is trying to come in

It is this time

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

It's been looking odds on for an early final warming for some time, I mentioned last week that it looks ripe for it.

CFS has been churning out run after run of Greenland blocking episodes in April and the uppers shown to be associated with these episodes have frequently touched -8 to -10!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Map, Person, Art

About time we had an April to remember ❄️👍🏻

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gowon said:

It is this time

i am really no expert,but i like to use iceland as a marker if we can keep the pv to the west iceland then we may see a successful build if heights to the northeast,if it comes further east there is normally to much energy over riding it..and its a real struggle for the high to build properly!

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
adding
  • Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

there is..but its too far east isnt it?you can already see the atlantic is trying to come in

Are the models trying to bring in cold too early when in reality it will more likely be later February if it does arrive?!

Edited by Don

Posted

Some cold runs appearing in ECM ens. I suspect the number will continue to grow in coming days. I think operational runs have been more useful in this instance in leading the way. Credit I think to GFS which first toyed with Scandi height rises in FI

Could contain: Chart

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Uncertainty said:

What have we said all along Feb, cold March looks as close to nailed on as can be.

Really intriguing evening of output. Virtually all output more amplified and support for the elusive scandi has jumped from virtually impossible this morning to border line likely if one were to take the output at face value. Gfs / ecm / gem / icon / navgem all flirt with the idea to varying degrees. 

Me? I’ve been duped by phantom scandi heights in the 8-10 so many times (7/8 don’t verify imho) that I’ll wait a while longer before believing it. But an eyebrow has most definitely been raised 🤨

Yes interesting to see ECM flirting with idea of significant height rises to our NE, but still at the 10 day range. GFS continues to also play around. The Polar Vortex does look very strong to the NW, but has it reached its maximum strength I wonder, as we move through February as usually the case will lose energy. If this was early in the winter, then chances of it disappating less likely, yet this winter it hasn't managed to fire on full gear - hence lack of stormy atlantic conditions.

Always used to think and still do that scandi highs become more likely in the latter part of winter, Feb and March, Greenland highs earlier in the winter - generally because the atlantic typically quietens down, however, as last feb proved, its not always the case and I wonder whether it is more to do with stirrings in the Strat and warming, which initially produce bursts of westerlies which then blow themselves out.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1