Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
21 minutes ago, Nick F said:

It was extremely cold, coldest Feb since 1947 I think, was some snow in the east initially but west was mostly dry, 23 days of cold easterly winds, remember the big icicles and ponds / lakes frozen solid. 

Yes and even colder than Feb 63! Amazing! My dad remembers working outside in 47!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
14 minutes ago, Nick F said:

It was extremely cold, coldest Feb since 1947 I think, was some snow in the east initially but west was mostly dry, 23 days of cold easterly winds, remember the big icicles and ponds / lakes frozen solid. 

i think why i remember it fondly because it followed on from an almighty dumping of snow in late Jan (8-10 inches i think)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I'm 58. Please let me know any snowy easterlies I've missed that came over pennines. Do remember a good one in 96 I think!

When i quoted you i said "i presume you mean locally" ..... i have no idea how West of the pennines fared, but i do remember cold snowy spells that hit the Country, being 66.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Polar lows are the dream
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

The GFS shows what happens if the PV doesn’t elongate and edge further nw.

You can’t sustain the high in a favourable position .

So whilst it’s true you can have an angry PV initially you need energy to disrupt under the block .

Nick - do you find energy disrupts south less readily nowadays than it used to?

Always seems torturous to get the PFJ to dive south of England, when it must have done all the time in winters past.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
19 minutes ago, johncam said:

Where is it very cold ?

Outside.... in the future ( supposing the GFS is correct)🤔

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

When i quoted you i said "i presume you mean locally" ..... i have no idea how West of the pennines fared, but i do remember cold snowy spells that hit 

West of pennines never the best for Easterly snow but has happened from time to time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

There are certainly some very cold 'possibles' in the ECM ens.

Could contain: Chart

Ditto GEFS

Could contain: Chart

Certainly the 2M temps look to be taking a dip.

Could contain: Electronics

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

A collage of Tropical Tidbits 2m temperature mean anomaly charts for days 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 (from top to bottom) from the latest EPS, GEFS, GEPS (from left to right).

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
Just now, RainAllNight said:

A collage of Tropical Tidbits 2m temperature mean anomaly charts for days 1-5, 5-10, 10-15 (from top to bottom) from the latest EPS, GEFS, GEPS (from left to right).

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Eastern Europe into Ukraine most definitely heading into the freezer - Turkey Especially 🥶 We need a move colder on the 12zs rather than any moves in the other direction.  Be nice to know what the METO are making of this, obviously things could very well end up as they’ve forecast of course. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Stravaiger said:

Nick - do you find energy disrupts south less readily nowadays than it used to?

Always seems torturous to get the PFJ to dive south of England, when it must have done all the time in winters past.

Good question . I think logic dictates that would be the case as the jet stream being powered up more because of GW .

And of course less northern blocking to add forcing on the jet .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
3 hours ago, heath said:

Looking back the GFS 12z of 25 January was the first to show this amplification, but for 5th February, not the 6th. Just one day different. No one thought it credible, and it still may not be.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

but the odds have changed substantially.

Yip, on the sherry, off on one, never gonna happen, 0% probability... were some of my favourite lines. Yet again a reminder of the cried wolf fable. Would be interesting and a learning exercise if at least 1 poster gave a reason why impossible, too much energy in Northern Arm, jet stream, etc perhaps someone brave can identify where the other models failed on this occassion.

The buckling of the jet stream tomorrow in the Atlantic seemed to be the point at which the models varied. Not knocking but always good to learn from these situations as to which model bias to put credence in.

The Arctic High, which has mostly been unfavourable for us as no HLP has been able to link up to it in the Atlantic sector, appears to have found a way further East, so defo interest ahead 🙏

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Person

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Very bizarre . There’s no support for the GFS op early stage between day 4 and 5 in the ECM ensembles. 

This is when the GFS takes the low ne and starts to eject shortwave energy se.

We’re due the ECM 06 hrs control run soon so that will be interesting to see .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Very bizarre . There’s no support for the GFS op early stage between day 4 and 5 in the ECM ensembles. 

This is when the GFS takes the low ne and starts to eject shortwave energy se.

We’re due the ECM 06 hrs control run soon so that will be interesting to see .

Forgive me for asking as im plsying catchup after getting my towel ready for lobbing 🙂We want 06z GFS op to be supported or not

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

We want a clear win for either side and not a middle ground solution .

Both solutions though still need a lot to go right to deliver as we’re dealing with a Scandi high which is always traumatic !

Essentially with the GFS it drops shortwave energy se which eventually ends up over Southern Europe helping to support the high .

The Euros take a low east then more se but struggle to get enough jet cutback sw .

We’re still at the early stage here of seeing whether we at least are in the game .

Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply. Worthy of written response 🙂

• Like 3

Posted

The ECM 06 hrs control run highlights why you don’t want a solution that tries to combine the Euros and the GFS.

You either want the low southern Greenland to become quickly absorbed as it heads ne and ejecting shortwave energy cleanly se or you want that low to run east se and a decent gap to the upstream troughing .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM 06 hrs control run highlights why you don’t want a solution that tries to combine the Euros and the GFS.

You either want the low southern Greenland to become quickly absorbed as it heads ne and ejecting shortwave energy cleanly se or you want that low to run east se and a decent gap to the upstream troughing .

wheres your money Nick ?

Posted
Just now, goosey007 said:

wheres your money Nick ?

I really wouldn’t like to say ! It’s very unusual for this type of divergence which starts at day 4 . As long as it’s one or the other we would have something to build on , a hybrid solution would make things more complicated .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
11 minutes ago, goosey007 said:

wheres your money Nick ?

I would say its firmly in his pocket being as he resides at multiple locations 😉🤣

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

We want a clear win for either side and not a middle ground solution .

Both solutions though still need a lot to go right to deliver as we’re dealing with a Scandi high which is always traumatic !

Essentially with the GFS it drops shortwave energy se which eventually ends up over Southern Europe helping to support the high .

The Euros take a low east then more se but struggle to get enough jet cutback sw .

We’re still at the early stage here of seeing whether we at least are in the game .

Isn't it nearly always the case that when we have a model stand off with two clear options that the end result is a hybrid? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, MATT TATTOO said:

I would say its firmly in his pocket being as he resides at multiple locations 😉🤣

Very funny ! You should all be happy as since I got back from Cyprus it’s hardly rained in the UK ! 

I’m here to suffer with my fellow coldies ! 

• Like 9