Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
26 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Winter preferences after the obvious  cold and snow would be.

Sunny, cold,and dry with frosty nights.

Named storms or  just high winds and blustery thundery showers that often follow.

No merit imo in the 'at least it will be dry' patter.

Weeks of dross under ridging Azores Highs in winter..

Give me wet and wild anyday.

I just find any weather where something is moving thrilling. I can't be looking at a blue sky and seeing nothing there just my personal opinion though. Anyway, sorry to derail the thread.

MJO moving in the right direction for late February to early March with lag correlation potentially offering something and this seems like what will end up being the last ditch attempt - if we can't get a fully fledged Scandi high soon - for Winter hopes. 

ensplume_small.thumb.gif.4c5cd0d119c3fe5019f7bcbffbc8776c.gif

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 hour ago, Uncertainty said:

The mean is also far more amplified, relative to the 0z

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm

I think we can say now that a return to unsettled westerlies is still favoured after the day 6-9 ridge (uncharacteristic good work from the gfs there). BUT, there is a small but real chance of a scandi or more likely sceuro ridge holding the Atlantic back in the extended.

Zonal Oblivion will have to wait another day.

Even the mean out to 360 is decent and there is quite a few EC ens going for a Scandi high and some to our N/NW.

Could contain: Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Pattern, Ct Scan, Art

Edited by Allseasons-si
Wrong timeframe
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
20 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

I just find any weather where something is moving thrilling. I can't be looking at a blue sky and seeing nothing there just my personal opinion though. Anyway, sorry to derail the thread.

MJO moving in the right direction for late February to early March with lag correlation potentially offering something and this seems like what will end up being the last ditch attempt - if we can't get a fully fledged Scandi high soon - for Winter hopes. 

ensplume_small.thumb.gif.4c5cd0d119c3fe5019f7bcbffbc8776c.gif

And here is the ext'd,...l like where that is heading 😊

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

And here is the ext'd,...l like where that is heading 😊

Eric Webb seems to agree with the movement towards Phase 6 though I imagine beyond that is quite blurred it does look like a Phase 6/7 setup eventually.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
5 hours ago, Cuban Zebra said:

Just staggering that we have an entire run with pretty much no weather, just benign crud,with the exception of Northern Scotland!! 

384 hours of nothing!!

Bank . Our football season here has been ruined by postponed matches due to either Frost or waterlogged pitches . I will take a Mehh period . Of course I prefer 6 inches and snow with a freeze but hey , have to keep realistic.  

ps , Enjoyed the Frosts too 🤣

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 8

Posted

At least EC looks dry but that's about as good as it gets .

Also the sun growing in strength so its not all bad unless you want cold and snow because to be Frank the charts look as pretty much as bad as it gets if you wish for snow..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Classic + NAO garbage.

Yea, if someone asked me to draw a winter chart which had the worst potential for cold and snow, that would be close, it even moves a segment of PV east to quash any hopes of a Scandinavia high. The plus side, the high to our south does look like its going to save us from a battering from the Atlantic. Might be able to get some value out of my golf membership for the first time this year!

• Like 4

Posted

Current offering from the 00z shows a steady dry pattern up to the 05th 06th, I wouldn't even bother trying to forecast after the 06th. There's to much scatter to even try to guess,

The output by then could change three times by then enjoy the dry for now and if the sun comes out could be pleasant      

Edited by Nick2373
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

0z GEFS following 12z eps but with some members with fully fledged sustainable scandi high and Easterly by D10 - come on, turnout, turnout, where are people.

To try and lift the mood from more recent posts, perhaps we can try to digest this.

We are just moving out of a two week cold spell with hard frosts and snow for some.

It is inevitable that we will have to live through a week or more of synoptical 'crud' now.

Similar happened after the two week freeze in December.Three weeks before we turned cold again quite unexpectedly.

If the pattern is to repeat again before Spring, perhaps we should be looking at the 10th of February onwards for building blocks to allow us a decent hurrah mid February to months end.

• Like 9

Posted

Another poor start to the day for coldies .

The blob of doom to the nw continues although towards day ten does start to separate with a chunk of the PV moving east in the ECM and GFS

The UKMO has a little interest day 7 but too much energy looks to head east and there’s a lack of sharpness to the upstream troughing .

I think it’s pretty clear that any ops showing a dig of colder air south around the UK need to be ignored unless this is shown well within day 5 as the models have constantly corrected the pattern further east and flattened that as you count down.

Overall we’re fast approaching last chance saloon time . Chasing spring cold is always frustrating as you need ever perfect synoptics  to deliver and so realistically we need something happen around mid month .

Whether it does or not is of course another matter! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Ueber Vortex

Could contain: Accessories, Pattern, Ornament, Art, Modern Art, Fractal, Outdoors, Nature

Looks like there will be no SSW in february tbh. To achieve that you need mean zonal winds at 60N to reverse and no model indicates this despite the warming at 10hPa.

Could contain: Chart, Line Chart

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The JMA just about gets there with a scandi high

animcat2.gif

And there's still high uncertainty around us at day 9/10, more so over Scandinavia at day 10.

animowx3.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

If only it was July

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Dunno if there would be frost under that this time of year but what an awful set of Sunday morning runs for those wanting cold and snow. The GFS is a bit out of kilter with the 850s mean but it essentially gives us no weather for 2 weeks.

Could contain: Chart

If these projections are correct, then February will continue its march (pardon the pun) towards becoming a spring-like month. Good for me this year - lots of football to go to next month and don't really want the weather getting in the way

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Just would like anybodies thoughts on the projected stormy period,  which really does look like not happening?  😐

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Just would like anybodies thoughts on the projected stormy period,  which really does look like not happening?  😐

Its not happening 😁

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
9 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Bank . Our football season here has been ruined by postponed matches due to either Frost or waterlogged pitches . I will take a Mehh period . Of course I prefer 6 inches and snow with a freeze but hey , have to keep realistic.  

ps , Enjoyed the Frosts too 🤣

6 minutes ago, LRD said:

If only it was July

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Dunno if there would be frost under that this time of year but what an awful set of Sunday morning runs for those wanting cold and snow. The GFS is a bit out of kilter with the 850s mean but it essentially gives us no weather for 2 weeks.

If these projections are correct, then February will continue its march (pardon the pun) towards becoming a spring-like month. Good for me this year - lots of football to go to next month and don't really want the weather getting in the way

I don't play anymore due to injury to my left knee, but I certainly agree - this is really good weather for football. 👍

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, KTtom said:

Its not happening 😁

According to this morning's suite, absolutely NOTHING is happening

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Gowon said:

I don't play anymore due to injury to my left knee, but I certainly agree - this is really good weather for football. 👍

Spectating rather than playing (my playing days are long gone!) but, yep. I normally want cold and snow up to about mid-March and if it happens I will enjoy it but I'd prefer it not to. And looking at the ECM ensembles the first 3rd of Feb looks 'safe' from cold and snow

• Like 2