Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

as per the 18z, the 00z also downwells the weaker zonal flow towards the trop at 10hpa - remember, this is the gfs op out to day 16 so expecting it to have the detail correct as the run goes on, especially lower down in the strat is unlikely (although NH zonal flow is not the same as detailed heights ) 

the point is that for two runs we have more of an impending connect with a weaker strat heading down 

Could contain: Plot, Chart

BA, is it possible that the lower trop is trying to connect to the strat, like an upwelling? Seems to me like the winds in strat are also calming down a bit, so would there be a chance? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

That 52% was the 18z.  Must admit, i thought it had gone west!  Back to 84% on GEFS on the 0z.

And a much stronger warming with a split on the 0z op, with reversal at T240 - at this point we’d be reaching for the Berlin site to see what the ECM op is showing, but sadly it’s not available this year.  (It’s a bit shaky trusting the ensembles of either model due to lower resolution.)

The ecm op at day 10 is slower than gfs and reasonably in line with the eps mean

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Person  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
7 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

That 52% was the 18z.  Must admit, i thought it had gone west!  Back to 84% on GEFS on the 0z.

And a much stronger warming with a split on the 0z op, with reversal at T240 - at this point we’d be reaching for the Berlin site to see what the ECM op is showing, but sadly it’s not available this year.  (It’s a bit shaky trusting the ensembles of either model due to lower resolution.)

I wrote Berlin an email but unfortunately I got no answer. Then I called them but you rather get Joe Biden on the phone to talk about bloons made in China then finding someone to talk about stratospheric charts…

Edited by Vikos
  • Like 7

Posted

Where are Catacol and Carinthian past few days? I would have thought there's enough going on strat wise for a comment... models continue to show benign and indeed quite pleasant weather for the next 10 days. The daffodils will be on the move!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
2 hours ago, KTtom said:

Ukmo 144... Spring has come early..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Modern Art, Outdoors

Strong Diurnal temperatures.  Cold frosty nights with perhaps fog, but some lush sunny days if fog clears and respectable temperatures. ☺

• Like 7

Posted
38 minutes ago, Vikos said:

BA, is it possible that the lower trop is trying to connect to the strat, like an upwelling? Seems to me like the winds in strat are also calming down a bit, so would there be a chance? 

I don’t see much evidence in the gfs cross sectional but eps flux continues to show up into the strat and we do have wave 1 ongoing at 500 hpa 

• Like 3

Posted

Looking like we are heading towards a repeat of march 1975, very mild February then it turned very cold with repeated heavy snow falls in March, we had two snowfalls here of several inches in March 1975.

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

The reversal on gfs mean is short lived but likely hides a multitude of solutions - hopefully someone will post them all on the single chart (but even that doesn’t allow for timings.) 

id say that we are currently looking at a short lived tech reversal (as part of a fairly significant wider upper strat reversal ). The spv then recovering back towards the pole in western Siberia but still displaced. this leaves is with a cross polar strat ridge into the Atlantic.  If we can imprint that down through atmosphere into the trop, then with the lower strat westerlies flushed away, late feb and into march offers the best chance of winter since mid dec. 

just in time for our ski trip in Norway in early March! It’s looking unseasonably mild in Norway this month!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Polar lows are the dream

I'm interested in what the ECM's picked up on the last 12 hours. As I feared, the forecast lowering of heights as a lobe of the tPV moved towards us from the NW has been replaced by a renewed surge of heights from the south. But why? What signal has it picked up on that's caused a complete reversal of yesterday's output, which also had support from the GEM.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Hoping it will flip back, but expect that it won't. The AGW curse of relentless high heights will take some breaking.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Spring has sprung on GFS 06z

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

If the GFS somehow manages to get this right it'll be a wonderful redemption arc for it's awful performance over the last week or so. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
10 minutes ago, Purga said:

A grim chart if ever there was one & at odds with the sligtly less ugly 00z

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature     Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Wow, follow the 1025mb isobar back from London and its reaches close to the equator!

20c Vallentines day anyone?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

GFS 6z op is showing the worst outcome with the positively tilted jet. No end in sight at all going into the last week of February either.

Even Scandinavia isn’t immune to the incessant mild weather!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
19 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

This is turning into a Feb 1998 / Feb 2019 type month. If we can't get a beast from the east then bring it on I say! Reduced heating bills and some nice weather for the outdoors.

Just this minute looked at GFS, ECM and UKMO inc ensembles for ECM and GFS... and, yep, 1998 was the immediate thought that popped into my head

In 1998 we paid for it with a pretty awful spring so I hope that doesn't happen. In 2019 I think spring was ok but can't really remember

But if the models are correct, we look like having another Feb which has more spring-like characteristics than winter ones. Autumn is eating into winter from one end and spring is eating into winter from the other

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
2 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Strong Diurnal temperatures.  Cold frosty nights with perhaps fog, but some lush sunny days if fog clears and respectable temperatures. ☺

No frosty night here I am afraid 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Looking for a trend, 9 days out is showing tentative signs of some blocking to our NW.  It is there at day 5 but combined with some NE blocking. This has moved south by day 9 and left the block to the NW.

Whether this would enable cold to come from the NE who knows but better chance that having everything blocked to our north.

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Page, Text, Wasp, Bee, Invertebrate, Insect, Person