Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Considering there isn’t a reversal in the upper strat until the 15th, yes you are ! 

Maybe there's such a thing as ITR 😂

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Spot the difference!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Heat MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Heat Map

6z (left) and 12z (right) zonal winds, just to illustrate the uncertainty, very different towards the end of the run after similar profile of the initial warming, 6z showing a lot of promise with the downwelling, 12z just looks to fizzle out.  More runs needed.

The 12z didn’t particularly downwell but was quite polar field reversed in the trop (unrelated to the strat). And then the trop began to push stronger zonal flow up into the lower strat 50-70N.  As that’s trop activity later week 2, it can be ignored. The chart you show from the 12z illustrates that uptick.  I’d stick with the eps and glosea for now which means Exeter’s forecasts and stuff on social media 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Is the SSW in the bag now or is there still a chance it won't happen?

It’s not in the bag and even if it verifies, there is little indication at the moment that it’s going to be anything other than a technicality in the records until we see downwelling waves next month. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Spot the difference!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Heat MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Heat Map

6z (left) and 12z (right) zonal winds, just to illustrate the uncertainty, very different towards the end of the run after similar profile of the initial warming, 6z showing a lot of promise with the downwelling, 12z just looks to fizzle out.  More runs needed.

Meanwhile, GFS and GEM at T240, flirting with height rises in scandi once more:

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, AccessoriesCould contain: Outdoors, Nature

Too early to be anything to do with the SSW, but when it’s effects do filter down it would be helpful if we were not starting from scratch to build blocking in a favourable place, so nice to see…

At least GFS is not alone this time, even the met is looking like some sort of high latitude block is coming.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Cold Winter Night said:

No, they're not.

There are records of SSW's since the late 50s.

SSW's were quite common in the 60s, 70s and 80s and then "disappeared" between 1989 and 1998.
Then they happened regularly again (almost yearly) during the 2000s, but over the last 10 years not as frequent.

They get discussed a lot more, but that has everything to do with forums such as this, social media and increased access to data and model output.

We any of the SSWs in the 1960s to 1980s followed by a significant cold spell in the UK shortly afterwards?

Apart from the SSW in January 2009 leading on to the cold spell in early February that year, I do not think that any of the other SSWs in the 2000s were followed by much in the way of a cold spell shortly after, so unless we know when all the SSWs were, and if the UK did get a cold spell soon after, we do not know how favourable SSWs are in bringing a significant cold spell to the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

The mentioning of them has become become frequent because until about winter 2007- 2008,  I don't recall much talk about them if at all. Netweather is 20 years old, did people talk about the stratosphere during the winter of 2003-04?  

I think the last 5 or 6 years its got mentioned a lot more ,and now its all the time!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
12 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

What a fantastic graphic. This one needs stickying at the top of each page of this thread!

• Like 2

Posted

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart, QR Code
12z still follows the theme of unsettled from the 15th onwards, like this morning if this trend continues looking likely South West winds. This needs to change in the next few days. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
1 minute ago, Nick2373 said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart, QR Code
12z still follows the theme of unsettled from the 15th onwards, like this morning if this trend continues looking likely South West winds. This needs to change in the next few days. 

It does but it also shows what current stage is FI (fantasy island)

Keep looking at close cluster, forget the chaos, for now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
36 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I’ve posted this up before, it’s a chart of winter weather regimes (+NAO, -NAO, scandi blocking, atlantic ridge) which I’ve hacked to mark the approximate time of all the SSWs with an ‘S’.  A string of -NAO or scandi blocking days after a SSW might indicate a cold spell, +NAO the reverse. Obviously the regimes are wider than the UK, so no guarantee as to exactly what weather the UK experienced.  

Could contain: Chart, Heat Map

Is that Breakout? If it is, I can't find the Start button!😁

• Like 6

Posted
24 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

6 days, UKMO and ECM, different page.

UN144-21.thumb.gif.6af542aa8d843673b30d350d0b542331.gifCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Important to see the differences here, the UKMO transports energy in the PV to the NE, ECM maintains most energy to the NW but signal it is draining and stretching eastwards. Keep an eye on the position and strength of the PV in the coming days I say, not much else to look at with the omipresent high pressure just sitting to our south and east.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

It does but it also shows what current stage is FI (fantasy island)

Keep looking at close cluster, forget the chaos, for now.

It’s a reoccurring trend that’s the problem looking at the cluster if I was a betting man I’d say just above average with similar conditions as of late. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
4 minutes ago, Nick2373 said:

It’s a reoccurring trend that’s the problem looking at the cluster if I was a betting man I’d say just above average with similar conditions as of late. 

No, tighter (lines) = high certainty

Low cluster = high uncertainly.

There is no betting unless you want to chase the low clustering.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Early March from the GEFS long range , that set up wouldn’t lead to warm spring conditions 🥶Could we end up having a colder March than both Jan and  Feb I wonder 🤔

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Person

The last time that happened was in 2013, and before that in 1962, but it is very rare to get a March that is colder than both the preceding January and February.  In actual fact in 2013 the March was colder than all three months before it.

That said that chart is over a month away so it cannot be taken too seriously.  On top of that a cold early March does not guarantee a cold month overall - back in 2005, March looked promising for a cold month early on with a pretty cold first fortnight, but then the very mild second half came along and pushed the month above average overall.

Edited by North-Easterly Blast
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1