Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Candlemas Weather lore

damianslaw

Posted

Its Candlemas tomorrow 2 February - the half way point between the winter solstice and spring equinox (supposedly, but I work that out to be the 4th Feb)...

Its a thread I put up most years, and there is a weather saying: 'If Candlemas Day be fair and bright, winter will have another fight. If Candlemas Day brings cloud and rain, winter won't come again'.

It implies that a settled day suggests perhaps colder conditions still to come - but a wet cloudy day and less chance. Make of it what you will..

I think there is some good truth in it to the extent that settled weather at this time of year often comes courtesy of high pressure/blocking and suggests the atlantic is weak, and may be further weakened as month wears on. Conversely wet and cloudy comes courtesy of atlantic airstream.

What is the weather forecast to do tomorrow, for southern areas, a settled day, further north you go less settled more cloud and rain, so based on the saying, more winter in the south to come, less so further north, but as we know its never as simple as that!  

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5