Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022- 2023 overview, opinions, observations

damianslaw

Posted

Gosh winter 22-23 meterologically speaking at least (defined for such purposes as Dec-Feb, though me personally thinks winter doesn't fully fledge until the Spring equiniox, but let's not go there..) is nearly over! Just a couple of days ahead.

Please use this thread to post your thoughts, statistics, observations general opinions about the winter just gone.

The overriding impression I have of the winter is just how quiet overall it has been. Yes we had a wet 4 week spell from the 18th Dec to 15th Jan - nothing too unusual though and thankfully we have been spared any flooding, but other than that it has been the high pressure fest that has been remarkable this winter. No storms to speak of, unheard of I think! Just 2 mornings with a cm snow cover - pathetic! Barely any decent snow on the fells either, after such a promising start in December, it deteriorated rapidly pre-christmas on the wintry stake, and February in particular has been a shocker on the wintry note.

Most memorable period of the weather the 7th-17th Dec, cold wise it was excellent for so early in the season on a par with Dec 2010, but we did poor for snow sadly. The blue skies, no wind and sparkling frost produced 4 ice days in a row, making for a very seasonal feel - it was a shame it all imploded in time for christmas typical!

I enjoyed the mini cold spell 16th- 22nd Jan for the frost, but again barely any snow.

The period since 22nd Jan has been one of the most uninteresting and uninspiring I've known for winter weather enthusiasts.

On the positive given all the cost of living issues, energy constraints and general volatility of the last 2-3 years, it has probably been a big blessing the weather has turned out so quiet and kind - yes cold at times, I'm aware some in the SW experienced flooding in January along with SW Scotland, but overall it has been a tame winter - and yes the cold has hit hard, but thankfully there has not been widespread distruction caused by floods, storms, snowfall.

Of course these are my perspectives as someone who enjoys cold wintry weather, and speaking from a Lake District lens when storms, floods have ruined many a winter.. aware others will have different views based on preferences, location, vocation and general interest.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Winter started off promising with that cold spell in December and there was a shorter one in mid January, but other than that there is nothing of interest to speak of. It has been very quiet with high pressure dominating the weather for much of the time. Even when it rained between mid December and mid January there were no storms and hardly any wind.

For me this winter was similar to 2016/17 which was also very high pressure dominated and temps at or above average. Certainly the two most boring winters of my lifetime. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The second worst winter for snow in my lifetime - behind only 2013/14. Just one day had a dusting of snow, nothing more than that. That was also the only day with falling snow too.

In terms of overall weather though it’s been pretty good - plenty of sunshine, not much in the way of destructive storms, very little rain after the 15th of January, plenty of frosts. I’ve even managed to get the grass cut this month thanks to the dry weather. If it’s not going to be cold and snowy, I’ll take dry & sunny instead.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Winter started off promising with that cold spell in December and there was a shorter one in mid January, but other than that there is nothing of interest to speak of. It has been very quiet with high pressure dominating the weather for much of the time. Even when it rained between mid December and mid January there were no storms and hardly any wind.

For me this winter was similar to 2016/17 which was also very high pressure dominated and temps at or above average. Certainly the two most boring winters of my lifetime. 

Winter 16-17 was exceptionally tedious, I would rank that one less interesting than this one, and less wintry, no significant cold that year. The cold high pressure spells have made it more varied I guess. My annoyance with this winter has been the lack of snow, we've had the cold at times but little snow - on paper it should have produced much more.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

I was only thinking about something similar over the weekend; where do I rate/ think of this winter. 

We had a promising start, with 10-14 days of cold weather, which seemed encouraging - but alas brought next to no snow. However, predictably it disappeared just in time for the festive period; which ended up being mild, wet & miserable. We then had a period of lousy weather, until another short cold spell, but again, no snow. I'm reminded of that saying, "get the cold in, and the snow will follow"......

Since then, it's been tedious.....not cold, and sometimes not even mild.....But endless grey nothingness days....

However, there's been plenty of 'usable' weather for outdoor activities, whether it's walking or cycling. 

It certainly hasn't been the worst winter, but it's been quite non-descript (apart from the December cold spell).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

A pretty good winter overall.

We had the cold spell in December which gave us 5-6 inches of snow which lay on the ground for 8 days - fairly rare for these parts, and then bar a short wet spell, its been dry with a lot of very useable weather for getting out and about in.

But best of all we have avoided any rubbish windstorms which are not enjoyable in the slightest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

As I only tolerate cold weather if it snows, this winter's half-hour-long dusting has made this winter one of the worst I've ever experienced... But, whatever -- Smarch will deliver! 👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Certainly one of the most boring winters I can remember with very little happening at all across the whole season. No snow here for the 4th winter in a row but also no storms, or any windy weather at all for that matter. The only redeeming feature of this winter would be the fact when it did get cold we actually saw some really low temperatures at night, obviously not as low as many other places here but still very low for here. 

• Like 1

Posted

I'm torn with this one tbh. I want to say better than average due to 2 periods of a lot of frost and ice which is as rare as snow these days. But with nothing else literally happening for hte rest of winter I dunno if it makes it any better tbh!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Here in London I would say it's been episodic. The cold and snow during the first-half of December was joyous and made me feel like a kid again, plus we had some very cold nights. However from the 18th onward the month collapsed into mild, wet and windy weather which wasn't great. I'd give it a 5.5/10 overall.

January 2023 was really quite grim with just how mild it was during the first half but the second-half saw more interest, it brought quite a good deal of cold and frosty weather and some exceptionally cold nights which brought out intense frost and ice crystals on everything, beautiful. I'd give it a 5.5/10.

February 2023 has been very benign, I don't need to say that for you to know it! However, there's been no damaging storms or anything so there's that, and there's been quite a few nice days. A 5.5/10

The winter overall I would give 6/10, mostly down to December's snow. It's never felt overly dull or miserable but there's been too much mild weather for my liking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I would also rate Winter in a similar way. An alright Winter overall. Pretty lousy for the white stuff, although had a dusting in December which lasted roughly a week in patches (bigger dumpings further South), and then another little dusting around mid-January. So a little better than the worst of the Winters for snow. Could have been better, though the cold spell in December was decent for the thick frost and strength of cold it brought. 

I did like also how mid January onwards generally brought a lot of bright, sunny and, at times, frosty weather - the dry and bright theme continuing on and off throughout February. But the grey blanket in the sky tending to become a more invasive feature the later into this month we have got. On the brighter days of this month, particularly when it was accompanied by milder days, it did feel like Spring made an early appearance - some daffodils having burst into flower in the last week or so. Some buds on some bushes and trees opening out a bit.

The wet period during later December running up into mid-January was my least favourite part. Making me feel rather SAD at times (but I appreciate the rain was probably needed). I think I would remember this Winter for both the December cold spell and for, aside from a fairly brief period, how calm and settled the weather has been. Just needed a good blanket or two of the snow and just the odd one or two wild windstorms. But, for me, am pleased it wasn’t a washout here, as prefer Winter’s to be quite dry. 

December 2022: 7/10

January 2023: 5/10 (mostly saved by 2nd half)

February 2023: 4.5/10

Overall rating: 5.5/10

Posted

Thanks for thoughts so far, I agree it has been a far better winter overall than many a recent one in respect of limited significant rain and windstorms. 

December I will rate as 6.5 out of 10 thanks to the very cold spell 7th-17th, had we seen an appreciable fall of snow I would edge it up to 7 or 7.5 alas we just missed out, places just 10 miles south of here did very well overnight on the 9th/10th. The period 18th onwards was very poor - wet , cloudy and very mild and not festive.

January - a 5 out of 10, the first half was very wet and very mild, but thankfully we had a decent cold period 15th - 22ns, a dusting of snow and a run of very cold night, the latter part of the month was mild again but also dry.

February - 3.5 out of 10, lack of rain reason for the 3.5, had we seen lots of it, it would be a 2 or lower! Woeful snowfall wise and cold wise, just a few light frosts.

Well done those forecasts that said the coldest wintriest weather would happen early in the season and it would become progressively milder... 

Overall I will rate it lower than 17/18 and 20/21 on the snowfall front but perhaps on a par with 20/21 cold wise, better than 16/17, 18/19, 19/20 and 21/22 in context of quietness and lack of flooding and storms, and far better than 13/14 and 15/16. I'm struggling to find a winter comparable to it, up until the 22nd Jan quite similiar to 12/13 and 17/18 but then quite different.

Edited by damianslaw