Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Year when every month started becoming milder than average more frequently?

Sunny76

Posted
On 06/03/2023 at 11:55, reef said:

Definitely 1988/89. Before then you always had the odd warm month / season / year, but after it was much more frequent.

There have only been 8 years since 1989 which had an annual CET below 10.0C. Before that there were only 33 years since 1659 to have a CET above 10.0C.

As for mild winters, those "mild" winters from 1971-1976, compared to the 1991-2020 average would be -0.4C, +0.1C,+0.1C, +0.6C, +1.6C, +0.4C. Basically all close to average apart from 1974/75. That's how things have changed. The same applies to summer: a recent "poor/average" summer like 2021 had a mean temp just 0.4C below one remembered fondly such as 1975. 

And yet the summer of 2021 was awful. Way too much cloud.

That’s one thing I’ve noticed since about 2019, that summers have become more cloudy in London and more humid, or maybe it’s just my mind playing tricks on me.

But, with the humid days, it sometimes feels warm and humid but also you find yourself needing to wear a jacket because it can be chilly without the sunshine.

a warmer than average summer with cloudy days is just a waste of time. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

And yet the summer of 2021 was awful. Way too much cloud.

It wasn't here

Regional variations, summer 2021 was a good summer overall according to the Manchester Summer Index

This is one summer that really is going to divide debate for years to come, at least  with those that lived through it. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

It wasn't here

Regional variations, summer 2021 was a good summer overall according to the Manchester Summer Index

This is one summer that really is going to divide debate for years to come, at least  with those that lived through it. 

Yeah I heard it was better further west and north, but London and the south had cool temps and long periods of cloud.

Not a summer I want to experience too frequently.

Give me 2022 over that, with long periods of sunshine even though the heat was a bit too much for a heat lover like myself.