Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Quite a nice early spring day here, sunny spells and 14°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here's today's Met. Office Deep Dive... Three coldish days and a warm-up: 👍

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

I actually see the sun 😱 

Not wall to wall sunshine but better than the recent gloom. Shame about the breeze though. 

Same. It's come out at last.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

This March reminds me of 2008 which was a wet, cool month with some snow. April was very poor also we had to wait till May for things to improve 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
42 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

This March reminds me of 2008 which was a wet, cool month with some snow. April was very poor also we had to wait till May for things to improve 

March 2008 was very Atlantic dominated but crucially I think, the mean flow was WNW-ly so it was colder and brighter, and between the frontal systems felt less humid. That, to me, is what I would expect out of zonal weather in March.

There was also a decent N-ly period from about the 16th, including the Easter weekend, lasting a week.

April 2008 wasn't so bad down here, I'd say thoroughly "changeable" but didn't get locked in a dull, wet pattern for long. It featured warm and sunny for the first few days, then a sudden change to cold with lying snow. There was, however, one distinctly dull and oppressive period around the middle of the month, notably on Saturday 19th.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
19 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

There was, however, one distinctly dull and oppressive period around the middle of the month, notably on Saturday 19th.

Just a question, do you have daily written records dating back  15 years?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
9 minutes ago, markyo said:

Just a question, do you have daily written records dating back  15 years?

No, this is based off memory. I remember what I was doing that day, and distinctly remember it being very dull. It was some sort of weakly-cyclonic easterly, I think, and the following day (Sunday) the cloud cleared to produce a warm and sunny afternoon.

Other things, like the warmth followed by snowfall earlier in the month, stick in the memory due to their interest.

Ask me exactly what it was doing on, say, the following Tuesday or Wednesday, I wouldn't know.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Insightful 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

No, this is based off memory. I remember what I was doing that day, and distinctly remember it being very dull. It was some sort of weakly-cyclonic easterly, I think, and the following day (Sunday) the cloud cleared to produce a warm and sunny afternoon.

Other things, like the warmth followed by snowfall earlier in the month, stick in the memory due to their interest.

Ask me exactly what it was doing on, say, the following Tuesday or Wednesday, I wouldn't know.

I suspect most would find that staggering, recall like that is virtually unheard of.

• Like 1

Posted

Nice and sunny here today with 16c and feeling warm in the sunshine, but we did put our jackets back on as it felt chilly when the wind picked up and clouds covered the sun.

Tomorrow is looking really good with a mix of sun and cloud and 19c, and 20c on Thursday with a mix of sun and cloud. 

I’m in Munich, not London. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Quote of the day “Why are the British so worried about climate change? Any change in their climate can only be an improvement” John Daley  1959-2003 Australian Meteorologist. I think the guy had a point 😔 

Yes a point for us, but what about most other places, and also for that matter sea rise, which will be our main problem.

Posted

The British climate hasn’t improved that much since 1987.

We still have poor summers and have cloudy spells during the better period of the year.

Yes, milder temps but that doesn’t always mean more sunshine and drier weather.

• Like 2

Posted

I think the chances for some final late season cold has now all but gone, so time to focus on spring now.  I thought that after the SSW last month, we would be in for cold shots until around mid April (similar to 2008) but it would appear not!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Don said:

I think the chances for some final late season cold has now all but gone, so time to focus on spring now.  I thought that after the SSW last month, we would be in for cold shots until around mid April (similar to 2008) but it would appear not!

I don’t want anymore cold as by late March and early April it’s useless. But, I wouldn’t write it off completely. We could still get some days of cold wind and rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
24 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yes a point for us, but what about most other places, and also for that matter sea rise, which will be our main problem.

it wont..according to the science 40 years ago half London and new york should be under water by now..the Maldives should have disappeared by the year 2000..but here we are in 2023 and nothing has changed..i wont be investing in flippers or canoe's anytime soon.

anyway nice sunny day again today ..cold though

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

it wont..according to the science 40 years ago half London and new york should be under water by now..the Maldives should have disappeared by the year 2000..but here we are in 2023 and nothing has changed..i wont be investing in flippers or canoe's anytime soon.

Well, yes; but that was science Mail/Express-style; so, it was never a good place to start. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I remember when Trevor whathisface from London Tonight Show, or The London Programme? Around 1989ish warned us how some of London would be underwater by 2040.

I can’t see it happening, but properties in the dock lands might be in trouble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
11 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Not so sure about that, I'd say spring is the time of year when we often do just as well in the UK as Central Europe.

In a setup like the current one they will do well as the lows that are affecting us are drawing up warmer air from the south into Central Europe.

Having spent time in that region in spring it's definitely not noticeably warmer than it is the UK. I actually spent a day walking around Munich on June 1st 2010 and it was memorably cold and wet- didn't get above 10C and I've never been so wet and cold in my life.

I said Munich though not a large geographical zone that is central Europe which will have it's own microclimates. Average temps are lower in Manchester than Munich in Spring. That's not me kidding, google it. The continent heats up quicker than here plus that city is a long way south than Manchester so can often get into the earlier warmer air masses, we are as far north has Hamburg. Munich is closer to Florence in Italy than it is to it's own capital Berlin. 

Edited by Dark Horse

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I suspect most would find that staggering, recall like that is virtually unheard of.

I'm surprised. It was only 15 years ago; not so long ago. I can remember the weather on various specific days from as far back as the late 70s, if the weather or what I was doing on the day was particularly interesting - didn't think it was that unusual.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Nice and sunny here today with 16c and feeling warm in the sunshine, but we did put our jackets back on as it felt chilly when the wind picked up and clouds covered the sun.

Tomorrow is looking really good with a mix of sun and cloud and 19c, and 20c on Thursday with a mix of sun and cloud. 

Jealous! While we're stuck in something resembling mid-autumn, Munich is enjoying full-on May weather.

Often the case, for obvious reasons, that when the UK is blighted by cyclonic SW-lies, places not so very far away to the east of us are enjoying really nice weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
59 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Load of tosh about sea level rise, as you said the for mentioned  never happened. Sea levels stopped rising and have remained fairly constant for many centuries.....😊

• Like 1

Posted

Well we are now at 106% of average for March when it comes to the ewp. We are going to be well above average.

Signs are that at least to start with it will continue to remain on the wetter side into April. Going to need a pretty sharp change around if we are to avoid a above average Spring for precipitation, though it is needed and may help to avoid drought this summer if it does get dry again.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I'm surprised. It was only 15 years ago; not so long ago. I can remember the weather on various specific days from as far back as the late 70s, if the weather or what I was doing on the day was particularly interesting - didn't think it was that unusual.

Trust me it is a unique gift, guarantee most will agree.

Posted

I don’t want anymore cold as by late March and early April it’s useless. But, I wouldn’t write it off completely. We could still get some days of cold wind and rain.

You can still get decent snowfalls in the south during early April, albeit it seldom lasts more than a few hours on the ground during daylight.  That said, currently no sign of that but perhaps some cold rainy days as you say.

Edited by Don

Posted
43 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

I said Munich though not a large geographical zone that is central Europe which will have it's own microclimates. Average temps are lower in Manchester than Munich in Spring. That's not me kidding, google it. The continent heats up quicker than here plus that city is a long way south than Manchester so can often get into the earlier warmer air masses, we are as far north has Hamburg. Munich is closer to Florence in Italy than it is to it's own capital Berlin. 

I've spent time in the Munich area in summer (usually July) several years (between 2009-14) but never spring.

At that time of year weather is often better than the UK (warmer, fairly sunny, sometimes thundery) but it can suddenly flip and it can get really seriously cold.

Saturday 18 July 2009 was a case in point. Was in Garmisch, south of Munich, it rained often heavily pretty much all day but more significantly the max temp, according to electronic thermometers on shops, was around 10C. Snow level down to around 2000m.

Altitude, I suspect, is the explanation for why that part of the world can occasionally get unseasonably cold in the summer. As bad as some summers are, I don't think I've experienced a 10C maximum in July here!

(That said, I still prefer the Bavarian climate. An average max of 25C in July with less Atlantic activity, more sun and more storms would be worth it, even if you get the odd 10C day).

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Any nice pics, not been to Munich, from what i've read it's a lovely city,