IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
7 hours ago, rotherhamsnowman said:

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 08:47 on Fri 3 Mar 2023

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 0001 on Monday 06 Mar and 2359 on Thursday 09 Mar in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

There is an increased confidence that a period of very cold weather will develop across the country from early next week, as a north or northeasterly airflow becomes established across the UK. The highest confidence is for northern parts where cold weather is expected to develop from early on Monday, progressing southwards through the day. Below average temperatures are expected throughout, bringing a widespread frost and wintry showers, these frequent along exposed windward coasts along with a risk of ice hazards. There is also a risk of more prolonged snow, perhaps due to rain pushing into the west from around midweek, although this is currently considered to be low confidence. This alert is likely to be updated and perhaps extended next week.

Thats the Mets Cold Weather alert for everywhere above Nottingham.

The bit that gets me is the part where it says This alert is likely to be updated and perhaps extended. Don’t know what you guys who are saying mild are seeing different from Met Office. 

They were a lot of uncertainty in forecast for later this week on Friday, it's becoming a little clearer now that the milder conditions will push North after a spell of Snow. 

Might still be a slow process which would see a lot of snow in favoured locations. 

Rain or Snow it's what we need after a long dry spell, we don't want the water board having panic attacks again. 😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 hours ago, Alderc said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a mild second half to March. Maybe the first 20C of the year? 

No modelling I can see is going for a mild spring, at any point really. We may of course see milder spells amongst a below average backdrop, but at this point I cannot see more than that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!

What a let down.

All over bar the singing, bring on spring and let’s hope the mild weather comes back even quicker and this annoying, coolish period recedes even further.

Cold rain……great.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

No modelling I can see is going for a mild spring, at any point really. We may of course see milder spells amongst a below average backdrop, but at this point I cannot see more than that.

Given all the hyperbole about the current non-cold spell and the terrible job the models have done are you really going to suggest a seasonal outlook can be trusted? 

Edited by Alderc

Posted

Its almost sadistically amusing when you think of the weeks and weeks of posts, time and effort, ramping up, what is increasingly looking like 2 frosty days.

Looking foreward, slight positives if you are one who thinks we need some persistant rain, likeise if you would like to give your central heating system a rest.

7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Given all the hyperbole about the current non-cold spell and the terrible job the models have done are you really going to suggest a seasonal outlook can be trusted? 

Have the models done a terrible job, or have the 'pro's' just misinterpreted the information to hand? 🤔

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 5

Posted

So after 100 pages on the other thread of seeing epic snow charts for the forthcoming week, i may just squeeze a quick dog walk with some falling snow. Can't wait

• Like 5

Posted

So how is that record cold breaking March coming along that MOD thread was raving about? 😂

1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

We will see about that. March is certainly not trending cold for most of Europe so far.

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

I don't think he's trying to be funny, he's just excited about the trip. 

What trip would that be??

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
10 hours ago, RhHh said:

I find it even more annoying when they say BANK!

I've got to admit, I've used that a couple of times when summer model runs show plume thunderstorms slamming into S UK! Now I know where I picked that up! 

Suffice to say, I shan't be using it again! 😄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
19 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

I've got to admit, I've used that a couple of times when summer model runs show plume thunderstorms slamming into S UK! Now I know where I picked that up! 

at least if there isn't going to be storms in summer, it will still be nice going outside unlike right now 😄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

So all the hype , of this wimpy cold spell coming up ,I think a lot of posters ,putting up charts of Snowmageddon will be feeling a little short changed . Can't wait to see some sunshine and warmer temperatures, this endless run of benign overcast conditions is really depressing.  At least when the Atlantic comes in there will be some sunshine. Good riddance Winter, you're not welcome anymore, well not until December 😊

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

After weeks of a cold spell being talked up the whole thing has turned into a total farce. Forget winter at this stage it had its chance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
4 hours ago, cobbett said:

So after 100 pages on the other thread of seeing epic snow charts for the forthcoming week, i may just squeeze a quick dog walk with some falling snow. Can't wait

Yes 5 weeks of high pressure boredom followed by 10 days of keen anticipation and all for what?

3 frosty mornings and a wintry shower.

Winters in the UK are cursed.

Andy

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Looks like for my neck of the woods, the cold spell will be another example of cold dull clag rather than cold crisp sunny conditions. What is also apparent is the number of people who think it is going to snow down here in the SE when any snow looks to be across Scotland and northern England. It is a shame there are no significant costs to publishing nonsense in the media.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
Just now, al78 said:

Looks like for my neck of the woods, the cold spell will be another example of cold dull clag rather than cold crisp sunny conditions. What is also apparent is the number of people who think it is going to snow down here in the SE when any snow looks to be across Scotland and northern England. It is a shame there are no significant costs to publishing nonsense in the media.

Well, at 500 feet in Central Cumbria no forecast is predicting any snow so its not just the south likely to miss out.

Unless you live in a log cabin above Aviemore this cold spell is turning into a dud.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
Just now, Penrith Snow said:

Yes 5 weeks of high pressure boredom followed by 10 days of keen anticipation and all for what?

3 frosty mornings and a wintry shower.

Winters in the UK are cursed.

Andy

Expecting significant cold and snow at this time of year is borderline fantasy in all but the most ideal synoptic setups. The sun is getting stronger and there is no real cold pool on the continent to tap into. It takes a month like March 2013 with a roaring easterly for most of the month, which was the coldest Marchfor 50 years, to get a memorable cold spell.

I don't class the odd heavy snow shower in an northerly/NEly that settles then melts in 10 minutes as significant snow or anything to get hyped up about.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.

I still remember last summer's nightmare heat so if you don't mind let's not wish for a swift return to warmth, even if this cold spell does end up being a dud.  There'll be plenty of time for heat come May-August.

Edited by S Bragg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

The weight of evidence from the modelling suggests that spring (particularly early-mid spring) will not be particularly mild. That’s all I’m saying.

Posted
1 hour ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Please feel free to carry on using it, just remember though that it's likely to curse the weather you're looking for!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

So, now we've gone from 10-15 day winter wonderland predictions on the model thread to hoping for 3 hours of snow before it turns to rain

Perhaps, if winter-geddon doesn't, in fact, end up happening this SSW could stand for other things

-Slightly Slushy Weather

-Slowly Sinking Winter

-Seeking Snow Wistfully

-Suddenly Sad Weather-watchers (that's a stretch I must admit)

Some of us have resorted to Silently Seeking Warmth 'cos of the fear of offending folk in the model thread!

Edited by LRD
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, LRD said:

So, now we've gone from 10-15 day winter wonderland predictions on the model thread to hoping for 3 hours of snow before it turns to rain

Perhaps, if winter-geddon doesn't, in fact, end up happening this SSW could stand for other things

-Slightly Slushy Weather

-Slowly Sinking Winter

-Seeking Snow Wistfully

-Suddenly Sad Weather-watchers (that's a stretch I must admit)

Some of us have resorted to Silently Seeking Warmth 'cos of the fear of offending folk in the model thread!

Brilliant post!!!

16 minutes ago, BrynnStorm said:

I’m too cold for the vast majority of the year in this country. I’m hoping for a warm up and some pleasant spring conditions. My body doesn’t handle cold well, but I feel fine in the heat.

You and me both mate! But i'm a skinny minny!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, E17boy said:

Can confirm light snow flurries falling here in East London Wanstead Park.  Only light but definitely snow coming down this has surprised me was not at all I the forecast for today. 😊😊😊

don’t think it would be snow. Air isn’t cold enough yet.

Just now, Updated_Weather said:

don’t think it would be snow. Air isn’t cold enough yet.

I stand correct. Radar does show sleet/light snow showers east London..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1