Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow Watch limited edition

Paul
Message added by Paul,

This snow watch thread is an extension of the usual model discussion for those who want to chat about the snow chances over the coming days. For more general model discussion, please use the Models, models and more models thread, which also includes the model highlights.

As usual, for more general weather chat, moans and ramps, please head over to the Spring chat thread.

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Overnight jet profile from the GEFS for Friday morning. You can see why the LP is being modelled further South.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Animal, Fish, Sea Life, Shark

EDIT: Wet bulb levels for Friday morning. You can see where the best chance of snow will be, North Wales, North of the Midlands. Ireland early hours Friday.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Diagram, Plan

Edited by Stuie
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

An area to the SW heading towards work ( Bicester ) and home ( Banbury ) , snow has virtually stopped looking for it to pep up 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

This is essentially the nowcasting thread 😅 Can't believe the ensemble spread for 24hrs...

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, More Runs Needed said:

This is essentially the nowcasting thread 😅 Can't believe the ensemble spread for 24hrs...

I have lost track now of where and when and amounts , it's changed so much

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, More Runs Needed said:

Its bonkers trying to keep up with models ,fax etc  gone from possible 5 inches to rain tomorrow imby obviously!

• Like 2

Posted

Going back a couple days we see todays precip considerably further north of the M4 than modelled.

standard expectation is for things to correct south as the time approaches 

so those assuming that tonight and tomorrow will see southerly corrections are not using todays experience and I would suggest that this is more relevant.  Yesterdays 12z ec looks to have been an anomoly in the level of its trough disruption for tonight and tomorrow. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Using the Arpege for Friday lunch, snow chances much better with EA being favoured.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Going back a couple days we see todays precip considerably further north of the M4 than modelled.

so those assuming that tonight and tomorrow will see southerly corrections are not using todays experience and I would suggest that this is more relevant.  Yesterdays 12z ec looks to have been an anomoly in the level of its trough disruption for tonight and tomorrow. 

Thing is though there's been a consistent link with the further north today is the further south tomorrow is.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It has been obvious for some time that the fortunes of today’s system and tomorrow’s are linked - the trend over the last couple of days for today’s system to be modelled further north, balanced by a trend to bring tomorrow’s system south.  

Now that today’s system has ‘happened’, I’m not sure whether southwards corrections to tomorrow’s system will continue, but equally there is no reason I can see for it to suddenly trend north.

Edit, see @Snowy L beat me to it.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It has been obvious for some time that the fortunes of today’s system and tomorrow’s are linked - the trend over the last couple of days for today’s system to be modelled further north, balanced by a trend to bring tomorrow’s system south.  

Now that today’s system has ‘happened’, I’m not sure whether southwards corrections to tomorrow’s system will continue, but equally there is no reason I can see for it to suddenly trend north.

Thanks as ever i suppose...more runs needed?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Edit, see @Snowy L beat me to it.

Looking back over the past 4 runs of gfs/ec/gem, the 0c isotherm has ranged between Manchester and London at most. But take out the two widest spreads and you’re left very much with a line approx Birmingham to norwich

allow thirty miles north/south on that and I see no reason for that to change 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Looking back over the past 4 runs of gfs/ec/gem, the 0c isotherm has ranged between Manchester and London at most. But take out the two widest spreads and you’re left very much with a line approx Birmingham to norwich

allow thirty miles north/south on that and I see no reason for that to change 

look at the spread on the ens though.

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Forecasted 850 hPa Temp. from GFS, 00Z
WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Forecasted 850 hPa Temp. from ECMWF, 00Z

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

look at the spread on the ens though.

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Forecasted 850 hPa Temp. from GFS, 00Z
WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Forecasted 850 hPa Temp. from ECMWF, 00Z

Ens to T 48 hours have never been of interest to me …… there is an argument that the resolution difference at such short range should make less difference so maybe I’m bang wrong on that ! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Stuie said:

Overnight jet profile from the GEFS for Friday morning. You can see why the LP is being modelled further South.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Animal, Fish, Sea Life, Shark

EDIT: Wet bulb levels for Friday morning. You can see where the best chance of snow will be, North Wales, North of the Midlands. Ireland early hours Friday.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Diagram, Plan

6z GFS does show the above. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 1

Posted

Friday looks like widespread snow

gfseuw-2-48.png?6

gfseuw-2-54.png?6

• Like 3

Posted

Well after numerous model runs im still non the wiser what to expect. Im expecting to see snow falling but the real question mark is how much, if any lying snow. The models consistently suggest less accumulating snow for E Anglia compared to Midlands/Wales. This most likely is due to the influence of the N Sea. What complicates matters is my location has often been the boundary between the mild/cold.

Looking very good for W Midlands/N Wales/N Midlands/S Yorks. Also worth mentioning is the strong winds as the low tomorrow tracks E tomorrow night/friday.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

This is one to watch, Thats a few hours of white out conditions for Lincolnshire and  East Anglia.

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Nature, Outdoors, Modern Art

Edited by EML Network
  • Like 3

Posted

Wouldn't it be great for the LP  out West to slide on through

gfsnh-0-60.png?6

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Can you show the precipitation chart for this? Wanna see how I'd fare 😉

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Person

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

A very slight shift south on the gfs 06z, for Thursday, not much in it though 

I think the 0c goes a bit further north during the day so just the usual to and fro, run to run - of course to those in the Birmingham to Manchester area that will matter a lot ! 

• Like 2