Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 15th March onwards

Posted

Evening all 🙂

Not too much to add this evening - the clash of airmasses across North America seems set to generate LP systems which trundle out into the Atlantic and toward us.

No all-powerful jet stream or PV at work but the north vs south battle we often see across North America at this time allows for cyclogenesis where the air masses meet and, as we know, at this time there's plenty of risk of severe weather including tornadoes.

The Greenland HP continues to wax and wane and we're now seeing a signal for renewed heights from the south which is usually the signal for something warmer, drier and more settled and I'm beginning to think we could soon see a better spell (perhaps around the turn of the month) as HP builds in from the southwest  but that's a very long way off. The signal for Greenland ridging south east seems to have faded for now but it's hard to believe we won't see any northern blocking as we move into April.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Looking at ENS from the GEFS/ECM and ICON, the rest of the month is neither BBQ weather or SLEDGE. Wellies will be required though.

How the ECM has managed at least 5 days without and outlier (yes nearly further on) is a deffo reset internally. It`s tighter than a Scotsman`s wallet (Yip I am Scottish).

EDIT: Why the GFS continues with a snow row is beyond...

graphe_ens31.thumb.gif.e972e680c7b06fde0218ebd9fb64deca.gifgraphe_ens41.thumb.gif.7f9da4ff16360cb6da1db8e135561533.gifgraphe_ens3.thumb.gif.f26caed9d1e84b4e81f2e1514d3a2ace.gifgraphe.thumb.gif.9157bc0d9d98bda8ae3cf2d08afe160f.gif

Edited by Stuie
  • Like 4

Posted

Looking at the AO across the pond, you can see why the GFS OP has really been in question also. SSW or not, agreement has been poor. If someone could post model verification stats from all models this year that would be great.

Could contain: Chart, Plot

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
3 hours ago, Stuie said:

Looking at the AO across the pond, you can see why the GFS OP has really been in question also. SSW or not, agreement has been poor. If someone could post model verification stats from all models this year that would be great.

Here's what I've got. I don't know where to get the NOAA verification graphs that Met4Cast posts, which have the NAVGEM and the Indian GFS on them (though not the NASA model).

Recent det runs at forecast day 5, by date, higher score is better: https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/plwww_w_other_ts_upperair?area=NHem Extratropics&day=5&score=Anomaly correlation

Could contain: Chart

Det runs across one month (not sure which month), by forecast day, lower score is better: https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/plwww_m_wmo_mean_extratr?area=Northern Hem Extratrop&parameter=z500 ...although half of the models seem to be missing from this plot at the moment...

Could contain: Bow, Weapon, Chart, Plot, Text

Ensembles across three months, by forecast day, higher score is better: https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/plwww_3m_ens_tigge_upper_mean?area=Northern Extra-tropics&parameter=Geopotential 500hPa ...it will be really interesting to see this graph after the ECMWF ensemble has had all of its members upgraded to det run resolution!

Could contain: Smoke Pipe, Chart, Plot

Strangely the ICON (DWD) is only shown on the ensembles graph, and also strange, is that I'm not aware of any enthusiast site that has the ICON 7-day global ensemble, only its 5-day Europe and 2-day Central Europe ensembles.

Thanks go to Blessed Weather from whom I originally learned of these links.

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
9 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Possibly, but at this range i wouldnt worry about the detail, and i have no idea how accurate those precip prediction charts are. It must be said though that the EPS 00z wasnt as progressive with the ridge on the 12z i posted. The main theme is an expected ridge to build to our near South, the 546DAM is over most of England and Wales, how much ppn we get will depend on how strong the ridge builds, and i find that sometimes its the timing thats out more than the pattern..

Here we go, the models are a little more willing to commit this evening.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, MapCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

Here we go, the models are a little more willing to commit this evening.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, MapCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram

The ECM 0z ensemble drops an anvil quite quickly on the ridging effort at the end of the month as Cambrian describes, the GEFS 0z is still willing to give it a go at connecting with Greenland but I am expecting that to be gone on the 6z which is loading now...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 4

Posted

A couple of things have taken my interest in the models - firstly this Friday sees moderate levels of CAPE over the southern half of England, and Ireland, so some of us should see some tasty showers, maybe some hail and thunder mixed in.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation, Blackboard

Secondly, the GFS ensembles showing a chance of something a little warmer, briefly, around weekend of 1st April - tentatively backed up by the ensemble charts from @RainAllNight, though I'd suggest low confidence right now.

Hopefully I'm not the only one wanting something warmer now!

Edited by jamesthemonkeh
  • Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, RainAllNight said:

The ECM 0z ensemble drops an anvil quite quickly on the ridging effort at the end of the month as Cambrian describes, the GEFS 0z is still willing to give it a go at connecting with Greenland but I am expecting that to be gone on the 6z which is loading now...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, HeadCould contain: Chart, Plot, Person

The GEFS 6z does indeed follow the ECM 0z back towards continued mobility:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Map, Face, Head, Atlas, Diagram

Both suites have teased with the faint hope of a lovely Spring day from one of the ridging attempts some time around the 30th...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Hoping the GFS 06z doesn't come off, this really is stuff from hell.

Nothing but damp, dismal southwesterlies from that right out to the end of the run, except a brief northerly on the 26th, ridge on the 27th and a southerly overnight 30th/31st.

This will be the worst "spring" for many, many years if that comes off.

I hope it's an outlier; the 00z does give some hope for something better once we get into April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Nothing but damp, dismal southwesterlies from that right out to the end of the run, except a brief northerly on the 26th, ridge on the 27th and a southerly overnight 30th/31st.

I hope it's an outlier; the 00z does give some hope for something better once we get into April.

March is looking pretty normal to be honest. Not settled but not overly cold. Re the worst spring you seem to have forgotten about 2021 which contained one of the worst April/May combinations on record….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
3 hours ago, Cambrian said:

The ECM extended range weather regimes forecast from yesterday extends the duration of the majority NAO+ signal to the end of the month, compared to around the 26th from Thursday’s forecast. The signal through to the end of week 3, around the 10th, is stronger too. 20th / 16th

Could contain: Chart, Blackboard Could contain: Chart

Continued extension of this NAO+ period into April is likely. Though the weekly mean height and mean pressure anomalies for the next three weeks do pick up on a build of heights to the south in week 2, this remains to the south of the UK and Ireland and is shortlived. A general westerly flow is sustained throughout, great for surfers. 

Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Outdoors, Nature, Person Could contain: Art, Modern Art, Outdoors, Nature Could contain: Art, Modern Art
Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Person, Head Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

More widely, the signal for northern heights, from Greenland to the top of Scandinavia, that we have had for months on these extended forecasts, is being lost. 

The 0z ECM mean for day 3 is representative of this week, showing a strong Atlantic trough, unsettled, wet and windy.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Art Could contain: Chart, Plot, Face, Head, Person

The day 10 chart is more positive with the height anomaly to the south, bringing the best chance for something a bit more settled for a brief while around the end the month, but the mean chart shows an uninterrupted straight westerly flow from North America, low pressure in place all the way from Newfoundland to Norway, and no substantial change by day 15.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Chart, Plot, Art Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Chart, Plot, Hurricane, Storm

The 0z GFS mean is more entertaining of building heights to our south in around a couple of weeks time, day 15 here, but it’s still a NAO+ profile with low pressure over the North Atlantic feeding a westerly flow into Northwest Europe, in keeping with the precipitation charts showing good totals for the UK and Ireland and a continued increase through the last few days of the month into April - these are from the 0z GFS op for day 7 and 14. Again, no signal any more for northern heights, a healthy looking core PV over the pole. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Chart, Plot Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram Could contain: Art, Graphics, Modern Art, Person, Outdoors, Chart, Plot, Face, Head

Two points:

The loss of northern heights - After a year or two of a very quiet Atlantic, it would be quite the irony if it is finally waking up for a sustained spell heading into the middle of spring after a double-warming SSW

The NAO+ pattern - With the summer to come, and hot and dry spells very likely indeed, this is a great looking spell, indeed a potential lifesaver, for the rivers, lakes, aquifers etc. Let’s enjoy the rain. 

I don't think we can bet on a good summer on the basis of very long term models. Knowing the general pattern since 2007, I'd say we actually need a good spring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
7 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

it looks to me like a pretty normal pattern, unsettled and mild... spring 2018 was very wet, 16th wettest out of 258 (source EWP) ...

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, mushymanrob said:

it looks to me like a pretty normal pattern, unsettled and mild... spring 2018 was very wet, 16th wettest out of 258 (source EWP) ...

Will reply on the moans thread (also comment of @Alderc) as it will drag it off model chat...

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Let's see how April turns out and even May first... at this point in March 2006 it was looking like a terrible spring, likewise 2018, but fortunes did change somewhat when May and April came along respectively.

There do seem to be signs of attempts at height rises from the south into April... I'd like to see these play out in future runs and see if it can become a trend. Had a brief spell of warm sunshine this afternoon and it's got me longing for a high pressure spell even more!

Edit: just realised this is not the Chat thread. Mods feel free to move to the Chat thread if you feel it appropriate.

Edited by MP-R
  • Like 2

Posted

I just realised that we'll have to wait an hour longer for each model output after Sunday 🤯

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Looks like a bit of a back edge squall line across EA tomorrow morning as the front passes through.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Water, SeaCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

EDIT: Alaro hinting also (hour later)

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by Stuie
  • Like 3

Posted

Find this slightly interesting. We have 2 LP`s to the West, cold air being dragged from the pole and also milder air being drawn from the Azores due to HP.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Green

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Cambrian said:

Springtime extremes alert….

12z GFS operational run for the UK and Ireland at day 3 - ‘nice’!; at day 9 - actually properly nice ; at day 15 - ‘nice’ again! 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Chart, Plot Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature

Yes, the 12z GFS operational run has something for everyone. For those in the south craving a bit of warmth, there’s 18 degrees in London on the 30th, 16 degrees widely across the English south and Midlands. Dry away from Scotland and the northern half of Ireland. 28 degrees in March in southern Spain. The warmth from the March ‘plumette’ works further north on the last day of the month, with spots in Northern England reaching 18 degrees. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Plant, Vegetation, Person Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Face, Head, Person Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation, Person

A slightly different feel to things by day 15 with the return of some snow to Scotland, Ireland and the Welsh hills, the warmth by then over Eastern Europe.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation, Person Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

The real action of course, the wholesale defection of the PV from the Siberian side to the North American / Greenland side of the Arctic - just in time for the Easter holidays. ‘Nice’. 

Meanwhile, 12z ECM operational run is firming up the cold for Sunday / Monday, -8 uppers through the south coast, snow for many parts of Scotland, northern and eastern England, including Kent, by Sunday evening, and transitional snow into the north Midlands and Wales by a week today. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Atlas, Diagram Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation, Person Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Person, Sea Could contain: Chart, Plot, Land, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea

And quite a transition it is too, as following that, like with the GFS, mid to high teens for southern England and the Midlands by day 9.

That said the 12z is missing the two things that would get me interested for spring: a) several consecutive days of fine weather, or b) cold locked-in for a few days, enough to give some snow in the south.

Seriously hoping that run does not verify for early April.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

I just noticed that the ECM op 12z shows next Tuesday as being even colder than Monday! No support from any other sources though...

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Face, Head, PersonCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 2