Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 20th March 2023 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
On 20/03/2023 at 12:15, Supacell said:

I was planning on waiting until April 1st to open a new thread as this is when I tend to become interested in all things convective again. However, considering there has already been some convective interest over the last few days and indeed more to come during the week ahead, I have brought forward those plans. It is a joy to be seeing decent opportunities ahead for thunderstorm risks as early as March. Welcome back all fellow storm fans.

So here we go. Old thread below.

https://community.netweather.tv/topic/97528-storms-and-convective-discussion-1st-august-2022-onwards/

And as for these opportunities. Well the forecasts on TV are already mentioning "thundery" in the forecasts for tomorrow, but my interest is further ahead with GFS, NMM and UKV all showing interest for Thursday onwards especially as an area of low pressure parks itself close by and generates lots of showers, some of which are likely to be thundery with hail. We are not talking intense summer heat and plumes of course, but some nice springlike thunderstorms with good convective skies and rainbows.

Admittedly I am more about chasing than forecasting, I sometimes try to forecast but I am best leaving that to the experts. I can though, see the opportunity. If I capture a thunderstorm within the next week, it will be the first time I have ever captured a thunderstorm in March and 2023 will be my 20th year of storm chasing.

MUCAPE charts from Thursday to Sunday from the NMM

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Land, Bear, Wildlife, Map  Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram, Land

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Water  Could contain: Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Rainforest, Vegetation, Atlas

I was actually going to start a new Thread on the 13/3/23 but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to so I left it to someone with more experience such as yourself, I seen ESTOFEX gave a forecast for this date and so to did Dan from Convective Weather who has a forecast for today. Apparently there was a Tornado in Great Hucklow Derbyshire
13 Mar 2023 as reported on TORRO also Derbyshirelive.

It's an early start this year, lets hope that's a good sign for the year ahead :).

Edited by Raindrops
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
4 hours ago, Raindrops said:

I was actually going to start a new Thread on the 13/3/23 but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to so I left it to someone with more experience such as yourself, I seen ESTOFEX gave a forecast for this date and so to did Dan from Convective Weather who has a forecast for today. Apparently there was a Tornado in Great Hucklow Derbyshire
13 Mar 2023 as reported on TORRO also Derbyshirelive.

It's an early start this year, lets hope that's a good sign for the year ahead :).

Let’s hope it’s a good year for storms

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
11 minutes ago, Thunders said:

Let’s hope it’s a good year for storms

I had a few good late storms last year I was surprised to see so much activty late in the season.

Yes I hope we all have a story to tell this year let's all remember to stay safe and respect the power of mother nature.

Happy hunting.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Line convection might play a role tonight, being sure to maintain my 16-day consecutive streak of rain every day! 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Map, Nature, Sea, Water, Person

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
16 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

Line convection might play a role tonight, being sure to maintain my 16-day consecutive streak of rain every day! 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Map, Nature, Sea, Water, Person

Still dull and misty, with low cloud occasional very light rain still falling here, this line looks much more interesting, I expect it'll weaken before getting here though.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells, snow, thunder snow, tornadoes

Radar keeps cutting out down here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Forecast for this evening and tomorrow 

Convective Outlook ⚡

Wed 22nd 20:30 - Thu 23rd 20:00

Through the evening a squall line is expected to push across the Irish Sea towards Western parts of the main island perhaps strongest around Wales before weakening as it pushes inland. There may be a few storms behind it in band's of convergence but only a strike or two at best.

Behind the occluded front and there's a few vorticity lobes with one stretched across the south with a subtle trough in the SW/S in the morning advancing east and one around parts of north Wales. Some thunderstorms are possible in the morning hours in those areas.

Then as the afternoon approaches and the showers across the south become more of a mess. MUCAPE is likely to increase to around 500 J/KG in the Midlands upwards and across Ireland. With daytime heating and latent heat release around the surface then subtle convergence areas given moderate shearing allowing for decent storm formation and clustering.

The saturation and storm heights profiles don't look that supportive for strong thunderstorms with frequent lightning hence its only a low-end slight in the area of highest confidence.

Though there is a small chance for Supercells with a cold front to the south advecting shearing parallel to its advance to the southern most Storms in the midlands/North and strong low-level shearing with 200 m²s² of SRH may allow for an isolated tornado with the strongest Storms.

Small hail, sporadic lightning and an isolated Supercell and/or tornado is possible with the strongest storms. Along with the wind gusts from the squall line overnight.

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Shoreline, Coast, Rainforest, Vegetation, Plot

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Bit lively here in LB. Trying to get to sleep! No electric activity but very squally and heavy rain. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
12 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Some sferics early this am, Anglesey NW Wales.  Intense echoes feeding in to the NW currently, 6am.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Face, Head, Map

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Electronics

Morning @Rush2112… (and everyone else)😊 … Just to back up what you’ve posted… 

After a wild and windy night last night, I’ve just heard on the wireless about the risk of thunderstorms today, and decided to have a look.

It looks like Holyhead has had a storm today, and also something off the coast of Blackpool as well! 🌩️⛈️

Let’s hope that 2023 is a much more active one than last year was for us all. 🌩️⛈️😊👍🏻

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Land, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Map, Sea, Water, Electronics

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

There looks to be another line of convection kicking off around the Aberdyfi area, and stretching in land! 🌩️⛈️👍🏻

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

These showery/thundery breakdowns don't look like stopping soon 🤑.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, WaterCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation, Map, AtlasCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas 

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

These showery/thundery breakdowns don't look like stopping soon.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, WaterCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Plant, Rainforest, Tree, Vegetation, Map, AtlasCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas 

much more interesting though then the constant dull and cold weather we've been having

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

Just had a few fumbles of thunder. Also a few bits of large hail. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Huge cg and a rumble from a very heavy shower at Shooters Hill about 12.05pm. Couldn't take any pics as was driving but it was extremely localised as I could see the edges of it above me and blue sky a couple of miles each side of it. I'm in Welling now and can see the cell in it's entirety as it has drifted northeast. Textbook anvil on it. I'm off the 2023 starting blocks. 😃

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Convection just kicking of in the Midlands, hopefully something more sparky this afternoon

just in case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6CL_nJlsg

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, City, Metropolis, Urban, Cityscape

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Some decent convection around with a short heavy shower passing momentarily. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Architecture, Building, House, Housing, Roof, Neighborhood, Weather

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Building, Housing, Cumulus, Utility Pole, House, Roof

• Like 6