Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heating Up 🔥 2024 Is Gonna Be Hottest On Record?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

As Summer starts in the Northern Hemisphere we are starting to see things heating up, I believe SE Asia is currently under an extreme heatwave alert to give a current example.  
I believe we will see record breaking heat in many places within the next 6 months in the Northern Hemisphere 

I believe this year to be hotter than last so this can be a thread for all the events if you will. 

Edited by Fen Wolf

• Fen Wolf changed the title to Heating Up 🔥 2024 Is Gonna Be Hottest On Record?
Posted

Just saw this thread. In terms of where we stand globally - the first three months of the year, and likely the first four, have all outperformed last year. The key will be the speed of the ENSO transition, I imagine.

era5_world_t2_day.thumb.png.250f442ad87cc9c82401619449402492.png

Both the Arctic and Antarctic are currently running a bit below average. Global temperature records are being driven primarily by extraordinary and record-breaking warmth in the tropics at the moment.

era5_tropics_t2_day.thumb.png.64d95f0acc514f308a79e9982e57d469.png

Here is the ENSO plume projection initialised in March.

image.thumb.png.412a4e15c4b91331d8601c7cbd65d3cb.png

The consensus is currently for neutral ENSO or weak La Nina for Northern Hemisphere summer, and moderate La Nina for the Northern Hemisphere autumn. If we see this slow down a little, it would increase the probability of 2024 surpassing 2023. Right now it's probably still too early to say.

• Like 2

Posted

WYorksWeather I reckon definitely 100% we are gonna beat last year and it will once again be the hottest on record, before calming down a little in the next few years, then re heating.  

The record heat years seems to be closing that gap too between them.  

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Wonder will some part of Europe see 50c at some point this summer? Wouldn't be surprised if it does.

Posted

sundog The highest WMO verified is 48.8C from Italy in 2021. With heat consistently piling into SE and central Europe so far, if that pattern did hold into mid-summer it's certainly a possibility. Probably a low one in any given year, but probably will happen in the next 10-20 years.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Interesting Times Lay Ahead…..