Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Chase Report & Pictures - 5th May 2006

Posted

Pictures and chase report will appear here, needless to say we were tracking this storm on its Southern and South-Western Flank all the way and have some amazing Supercell shots to show when we get better Wifi Data.

Paul Sherman

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted

Friday 5th May 2006 was a crazy crazy day. We left Brady and went South and West to our Target area of Eldorado. Whilst awaiting initiation we found this old fellow.

post-24-1146966392.jpg - He still has his shades on !!

post-24-1146966446.jpg - Breaking through the Cap!! Pileus Cap shown above cloud

At about 645pm a cell fired just North-East of San Angelo and we chose this as it had uninterupted southerly flow and once again we were on the Tail End Charlie. This thing just went BOOM Only problem was we only had about 45 minutes of Light left so we would have to be quick.

post-24-1146966570.jpg post-24-1146966604.jpg - Early stages of what was to become the Coleman County S/Cell

post-24-1146966654.jpg - Tornado Accident waiting to Happen :blink: :lol:

It was'nt long before she became a Classic Mature Supercell trying hard to Produce, I have a Video grab of a white funnel cloud extending to the ground, this was reported later on the weather channel as a Significant Tornado in west Coleman County.

post-24-1146966786.jpg post-24-1146966822.jpgpost-24-1146966847_thumb.jpg

post-24-1146975105_thumb.jpg - Striations on the Anvil usually seen on Mature Supercell

Still New Updraughts formed on this beast as the sun was setting

post-24-1146967134.jpg post-24-1146967165.jpgpost-24-1146967192.jpg

We got to Brownwood after going through a place called Bangs which had larger than Baseball sized Hail, lots of shredded trees and took refuge in Brownwood, then the real fun began at around Midnight, a Bow echo came through and the Video footage i have got resembles hurricane force winds, our room was soaked with horizontal rain, after that i crashed out but ozzie stayed up and was rewarded with an Anvil Crawler Feast. He will posts these now and they are simply stunning.

Paul Sherman

Posted

Hi All yes Mother Nature gave an awsome anvil crawler display and here are some pictures for you to look at. :blink:

post-5458-1146967558.jpg

post-5458-1146967593.jpg

post-5458-1146967618_thumb.jpg

post-5458-1146967669.jpg

post-5458-1146967695_thumb.jpg

post-5458-1146967727_thumb.jpg

Posted

Chaps,

sounds like quite an amazing day of chasing! I am finding it hard to keep up reading the various threads on here.. can't imagine how it must be for you guys, bet you are knackered!!

Loving the pictures! The centre shot of the spider lightning is awesome!

Ian

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Truly amazing lightning shots there Ozzie...Bet the thunder was something else too!

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Those photographs of the anvil crawlers are truly amazing ozzie :)

I bet the thunder was deafening with lighting bolts that large? How an earth did paul sleep through that???? lol :o

Posted
Hey paul dude, im new at net-weather and I know quite a bit about supercells and storms, you seen any HP supercells yet and wheres all the videos??

Hi

At the moment we are awaiting a down day to fiddle with the video, we have to edit and cut a 60 minute DV Tape and then upload to MovieMaker, so uploading pictures is very fast, if this carries on like this the Vid's will have to be done at the end, buit believe me they are truly amazing Video Clips and you get to hear the Thunderbolts.

Paul S

Fantasttic, how the hell do you capture those lightning bolts?

It is quite easy, set the camera to Manual Focus and Bulb Setting, set your aperture to about 5.6, you will need a Remote release cable, release and hold the shutter open and await the Lightning bolt and then close shutter, Bingo :o It does help when we have over 80 strikes per minute with these storms though

Paul S

Posted

The top right of Ozzie's pics is awesome. I have only seen spider lightning like that once here. I think it was one day in May 1998 in the late evening as a batch of small powerful storms moved up from France.

Posted

As Paul has said,we are waiting for a down day to sort out video footage and at the moment there does not seem to be one.Everyday is a risk day at mo which is good for us :o Thanks for comments on pictures all hope you are enjoying them. :)

Posted

Thankyou all as it was the best lightning display i have seen and best pictures i have captured

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

What can i say guys..

Some of those pics are breathtaking..!

Soo jealous :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Yes, stunning shots there, I'd love to see lightning that intense!

Hi

At the moment we are awaiting a down day to fiddle with the video, we have to edit and cut a 60 minute DV Tape and then upload to MovieMaker, so uploading pictures is very fast, if this carries on like this the Vid's will have to be done at the end, buit believe me they are truly amazing Video Clips and you get to hear the Thunderbolts.

Paul S

It is quite easy, set the camera to Manual Focus and Bulb Setting, set your aperture to about 5.6, you will need a Remote release cable, release and hold the shutter open and await the Lightning bolt and then close shutter, Bingo <_< It does help when we have over 80 strikes per minute with these storms though

Paul S

Cheers paul, thanks for that, i can't wait to see your videos, hope theres loads of hail, thunder, lightning and especially any supercell developement and tornados.

Archived