Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Correct Way To Record Temperatures....

Posted

...I've just come back from our families house in france and we have 2 thermometres, now my mum said the one in the porch fairly shaded but out of the wind was the correct temp but there was also one in the blazing sun....i ask this as one day the shaded therm. got to 41 degrees and every other day it was at around 38 degrees yet the other read 45 some days, which would be the one to beleive and am i right in thinking the one in the porch out of the wind is the real temp?

Ta, Aaron.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

If you want a more true picture of what the air temperature is, then always go for readings from thermometers that are in the shade all day long and are away from hard surfaces such as walls and concrete floors, and also metal that may radiate heat absorbed. Thermos in the sunshine will always give highly infalted readings, even in the winter. I think the readings of 41C in the shade seem rather high aswell even for France - I'm sure temps have been no higher than the mid-30s anywhere in France lately, a more true reading would be obtained well away from buildings, roads, pavements, preferably in a shaded area off the ground and under trees.

Posted

In Jarnac it read 38 and im pretty sure there's is right, last year when i was there it was 43 everyday for a whole week which is why there are drought orders! you would be surprised how hot france gets!