Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Thats awesome i wish i could skate like that! http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Just reading about the snow in Canada- "between 25 and 30 centimetres of snow hit the whole of Quebec." Theres a little more about it Here.

Jamie

Posted

Ottawa, Ontario topped out at 52cm's of snow this weekend

Its raining here! doesnt sound like much but its the first time I have seen rain in 5 months, its awesome

Posted

Its raining here! doesnt sound like much but its the first time I have seen rain in 5 months, its awesome

LOL

Love it Canadiancoops. I remember when I first got here it was over a month before we got rain and even then it was only a little, but to go so long without rain actually made it quite pleasant to see.

TTFN

Debs

Edited by debs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

Debs, watch out for the clipper system coming out of the States, headed your way Thurs. It will pick up energy over Gulf of Maine and hit NB and Newfoundland quite hard. The big one to watch though is headed your way for Sunday, could be a full blown blizzard by the time it hits you.

Edited by Yozzer

Posted

Ottawa, Ontario topped out at 52cm's of snow this weekend

And acording to www.ottawasun.com:

About 52 cm of snow was dumped on the capital region. The city came oh-so-close to smashing a one-day snowfall record, which was set on March 2, 1947 when 40.6 cm of snow fell on the city. On Saturday, 39 cm of snow fell

Posted

Debs, watch out for the clipper system coming out of the States, headed your way Thurs. It will pick up energy over Gulf of Maine and hit NB and Newfoundland quite hard. The big one to watch though is headed your way for Sunday, could be a full blown blizzard by the time it hits you.

Cheers Yozzer,

Twas nice to see the grass for a while but snow is better.... :-) Just as well I never put the sledge away just yet.

TTFN

Debs

Edited by debs

Posted

Just looking and there is a Winter Weather Advisory now in force for parts of New Hampshire its in effect until: 1 PM EDT

There is a good chance of "3 to 5" inches of snow :)

Some of the cities that will be effected: Concord, Bradford, New London and Pembroke.

Jamie

Edited by SnowStorm(Jamie)

Posted

Hey guys,

There is a heavy snow warning in force for parts of Colorado and it will remain in effect until 3 PM MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) today.

"Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8 inches can be expected before the snow decreases Monday afternoon"

Of course its worse on higher ground as always :mellow:

Jamie

Posted

2 inches of snow fell yesterday morning in about 3 hours, then brilliant sunshine all day and the snow melted by the evening. Its definately getting close to Spring when that happens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Looks like the midwest has taken a pounding the past few days....flash flooding has resulted in 13 fatalities so far.. :)

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/topstori...ml?from=hp_news

Posted

the NOAA summation this morning is below; they seem to have backed off a touch from that of early yeaterday but still some kind of snow set up developing for some of the more ne'ern states?

VALID 12Z MON MAR 24 2008 - 12Z THU MAR 27 2008

...POTENTIAL FOR LATE SEASON SNOWSTORM FOR PORTIONS OF THE EAST

COAST...

THE 00Z GFS AND GEFS MEAN ARE OUT OF SYNC WITH THE OTHER GLOBAL

GUIDANCE...INCLUDING THE ECMWF...CANADIAN...AND UKMET

MODELS...WITH THE MID LEVEL AMPLIFICATION OF THE FLOW OVER THE

EASTERN UNITED STATES DAYS 4 AND 5. THE GFS AND ITS MEAN HAVE

WAVERED BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN DEVELOPED AND FLAT SOLUTIONS DURING

THE LAST TWO DAYS...AND ARE NOW OUTLIERS INDICATING NO

CYCLOGENESIS ALONG THE ATLANTIC SEABOARD. COULD ONLY FIND ONE GFS

ENSEMBLE MEMBER FROM THE 00Z CYCLE THAT HAD A SOLUTION SIMILAR TO

THE PREFERRED ECMWF AND GEM GLOBAL MODELS. THE ECMWF HAS

CONSISTENTLY PREDICTED A SIGNIFICANT STORM OVER THE EAST...THOUGH

IT HAS VARIED ON HOW FAR WEST OR EAST THE SYSTEM TRACKS. THIS

CURRENT RUN IS ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE GUIDANCE...WITH MORE

PHASING INDICATED WITH A NORTHERN STREAM SHORT WAVE DROPPING INTO

THE GREAT LAKES. THIS NORTHERN STREAM FEATURE IS NOT EASY TO RULE

ON ONE WAY OR ANOTHER...BUT GAVE IT CREDIT IN THE PRELIMINARY

PROGS SINCE THE ECMWF OFTEN LEADS THE WAY WITH SUCH SUBTLE TRENDS.

THE INCORPORATION OF THIS NEW ENERGY HAS THE EFFECT OF DRAWING

THE ENTIRE ATLANTIC SYSTEM CLOSER TO THE NEW ENGLAND COAST...WHICH

THREATENS SOUTHEASTERN NEW ENGLAND WITH BLIZZARD CONDITIONS DAY 5.

interesting as well that they lean to the ECMWF solution for it along with the UK Met O rather than GFS!

Posted

interesting as well that they lean to the ECMWF solution for it along with the UK Met O rather than GFS!

The Euro has a lot of respect over here, especially in the medium range. Time and again we see the Euro pitted against the GFS with the Euro almost always coming closest to predicting the track of a storm from 5 days out. On a couple of occasions this winter the GFS forecast a blockbuster storm for the East coast whilst the Euro resolutely held on for a inland runner. Every single time the GFS trended towards the Euro solution and won through.

I do love the forecast discussions over here. It's interesting to see the factors they take into account when issuing forecasts; I'm pretty sure it's much the same at the UK Met when producing the FAX charts?

As for this storm, I think it's too late for a big event. Certainly the spring time looks to be trending cold, but with the recurrent theme this year being either suppressed systems flying out to sea, or coastal-huggers delivering rain, I see no reason for this to buck the trend, especially not in late March.

An interesting observation is that big March snowstorms tend to occur in years where there have already been a number of snowstorms, in other words the storm track is already well established. I would give this a 5-10% chance of producing 3 inches or more of snow for any of the big cities, with perhaps 6 inches or more further north into New England...

Posted

Hi Guys,

Bitterly cold again today -10 presently. We've had double digit sub zero for a few days now. Had a lovely "Ice Storm" last Thirsday and I managed to fall on my but a couple of times. I've attached a foto of ice on washing line and you can see the thin layer of ice on branches on trees. Not a perfect picture but should give you an idea. Think the ice made it to about 1.5 cm in a few hours.

Glad to see the UK had a good helping of snow this weekend. Hope you all enjoyed it. ;)

TTFN

Debs

post-47-1206446343_thumb.jpg

Posted

tks Debs, it certainly shows up the ice

yes some people got quite a good snowfall, others as is often the case, did miss out.

5cm here Easter Sunday which is very rare for this time of the year, only 7 other instances with that depth of snow any time in March in over 50 years.

Posted

Very cold here today, only 1 or 2 C and large snowflakes falling, melting on the roads and accumulating 2-3 cms on the grassy surfaces. With the cherry blossoms everywhere, the scene is quite surreal, it looks like a sort of pink snowstorm.

I notice that it is very cold across all of Canada for this late in March, below freezing in southern Ontario and a sleety storm moving across northern New England towards the Maritimes. Much warmer to the south of that, although turning colder from the western Great Lakes southwards.

We are projected to stay in this arctic outflow for several more days, so expecting some interesting thunder-hail and snow showers tomorrow and Sunday as some clearing sets up.

Anyway, this is about as cold as it can be in Vancouver in late March, similar to Scotland's brush with climates of years gone by last weekend.

Posted

Hello peeps,

We've had snow all day here today and its expected to last into wee hours of the morning. Must have had about 10cms so far and its the good sticky stuff that makes a great snowman. May have a few flurries tomorrow but nothing too drastic. Its ben a long winter over here, apparently, so I guess we chose a good year to emigrate.

Next week is set to stay above freezing so I'm gonna dig my bikini out just in case ;);):D

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Just returning to UK via Logan airport after trip to our house in Northern NH. Beautiful sunny skies today, mild spring-like temps into low 40s after a night of sub zero temps (-18C), following snowstorm (approx 5 ins) on Friday.

Local town has recorded 144.1 ins of snow this season, just about an all time record! The area to the east of the White Mountains around N Conway has been buried with half as much again. The mountains have recorded much more, Jay Peak's (Vermont) total is currently standing at 391", a whisker off 10 meters... truly staggering!

We may not see the like again in our lifetimes.

Posted

I was up in Albany, NY last Friday where they had about 3 inches of wet snow. A very distinct snowline with that system; about 20 miles south of Albany there was no lying snow at all.

It's been cool but largely unspectacular in NYC so far this spring. Apparently four of the past five Marches have had at least one day of 65oF temperatures. Not this year! A warm surge tomorrow, and another warm surge on Saturday associated with warm sectors, but cool other than that.

What do I care? I'm in Corpus Christi in Southern Texas where it's currently 26oC. Unfortunately it's cloudy and humid; we're to the south of the system which is bringing the severe storms further North. I'm not surprised so much moisture leads to such strong storms up there!

Posted

I was up in Albany, NY last Friday where they had about 3 inches of wet snow. A very distinct snowline with that system; about 20 miles south of Albany there was no lying snow at all.

It's been cool but largely unspectacular in NYC so far this spring. Apparently four of the past five Marches have had at least one day of 65oF temperatures. Not this year! A warm surge tomorrow, and another warm surge on Saturday associated with warm sectors, but cool other than that.

What do I care? I'm in Corpus Christi in Southern Texas where it's currently 26oC. Unfortunately it's cloudy and humid; we're to the south of the system which is bringing the severe storms further North. I'm not surprised so much moisture leads to such strong storms up there!

As you say, weather in NYC (and other major US cities) has been fairly unspectacular this winter. Not so further north, with the major eastern Canadian cities and far northern US being hit with record breaking snowfalls (but not record breaking cold).

Yet this has been largely unreported in the US. Probably as I said, no major US cities affected, just northern 'Hicksville!'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Hi. im not sure whether this is the place to ask about this but i have a couple of things about low precipitation supercells i would like to clear up. Firstly ive seen several videos and there doesnt seem to be much lightning in them if any. Secondly, sometimes they dont look like they cover as much area as a HP supercell. Im facinated by these storms and wonder why they dont form heavy precip like their HP counterparts.

Posted

As you say, weather in NYC (and other major US cities) has been fairly unspectacular this winter. Not so further north, with the major eastern Canadian cities and far northern US being hit with record breaking snowfalls (but not record breaking cold).

Yet this has been largely unreported in the US. Probably as I said, no major US cities affected, just northern 'Hicksville!'

The storm track has been very consistent and very favourable for New England this winter. Caribou, Maine has broken its all-time record with 192 inches of snow this winter.

I think it's fair enough that it has been largely unreported; such snowfall totals which don't really affect people are not of interest to most people other than us! Storms which cause problems and deaths are widely reported. Besides, everyone outside of those areas (I'm thinking Northern New England and the Lake-Effect Snowbelts) believe that they are permanently buried in ten feet of snow. To back up that belief somewhat, I see that Marquette, MI, collected just shy of 16 inches of snow today; not bad for the first day of April! 37 inches on the ground there right now.

Posted

Greeting from up north "Hicksville" lol

Weather getting warmer. At 5 degrees it feels positively balmy, went for a walk along beach with the sun at my back...bliss.

Its been a great winter here and although the reports of snow are only reported locally, we've had over 3 meters of snow this season. Temps are set to stay above freezing and I see something on the forecast that I have never seen here, and that is 3 days of rain in a row. Good old April showers I guess.

All I can say is, I am looking forward to the summer to see what that brings. My husband was here last summer alone and he said they have the most incredible thunder and lightening storms, so something to look forward to there.

TTFN

Debs

Posted

Hello Peeps,

Beautiful weather here for the last 3 days. sun index is getting higher, I actually got sunburn on my face yesterday and the temps were only 11 degrees at most, but he sun is hot. I remember one time in England it was February and we were laying down on a blanket in a field, theres was no wind there, but just at the end of the field was a huge hedge and people were walking past iwth hats and scarves on. Thats the only other time I can say I've experienced the suns power so early on in the year.

Hope UK enjoyed all the lovely snow.

TTFN

Debs