Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Frost

Posted

I'm a little confused so if someone can put me straight that would be great.

If we go to bed with a ground frost at night and wake up with a ground frost in the morning, is that recorded as yesterday or todays frost. I suppose you could record it as both, but wouldn't that then be recording it twice? Having just started taking records, I really want to get it right so any pointers would be great. Thanks. :p

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Well I record it as last nights frost, example being, the frost that was around this morning was last night's frost. certainly don't record both as it is only one frost after all.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, I can confirm that the Met Office standard is to attribute the frost to the day of observation. Thus it would effectively be last night's frost.

Posted
I'm a little confused so if someone can put me straight that would be great.

If we go to bed with a ground frost at night and wake up with a ground frost in the morning, is that recorded as yesterday or todays frost. I suppose you could record it as both, but wouldn't that then be recording it twice? Having just started taking records, I really want to get it right so any pointers would be great. Thanks. ;)

the frost would be allocated to the reading that morning, ie normally read at 09z.

If the frost occurred before 21z then a comment to that effect would be made in the full Daily Register Report within the Met Office, but no ground frost would be actually allocated to the day it started.

Bit complicated but hope it clears it up for you.

John

Archived