Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Post your nature questions here....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
We were cleaning out the garage at the Scout hut and found an old wasp's nest with a queen wasp buzzing around it. Suffice to say, we destroyed them both!

Actually wasps are our friends, they catch the pest insects in our gardens and feed them to their larvae.(natural pest control) In return the larvae secrete a sugary substance which the adults feed on. Later in the season the larvae mature and stop secreting sugar. This is why wasps become obsessed with our jam sandwiches and cola in August. They are starving to death.

So next time you se a wasp early in the year just think of it as a lovely ladybird (they are doing the same job after all). However in August smash them into a pulp. You will be putting them out of their misery.

Hoverflies are wicked to while away an afternoon to (without the 'Poppy tea') They are like the Kestrels of the garden (they hunt the smaller bugs so they are good guys!) and always return to there aerial 'perch' after a sortie (they also mate up there and eat their prey from the same area and crap from there....) Yer average back garden will have a couple of territories. I know folk who 'whistle them' onto their fingers! (I think the fly use his finger as a perch really....must be a b*gger all that hoverin'!)

There's a friendly hover fly near my table in the garden. He's always there, sometimes landing on my hand. Same place all the time. They're cool.

Posted

I like to watch the Hoverflies around the garden.Trouble is my dogs find them easy target to catch. :lol: