Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lightning strike

Posted

Bloody hell!

I will make sure I wear rubber-soled shoes next time I fly. I should have been gone yesterday to Tenerife for a few days but got taken ill at the airport and spent the afternoon at Luton hospital instead. Thankfully nothing serious so I will ertainly be airborn again soon. I may ask the pilot to avoid any nasty-looking cg clouds though. :blink:

Edited by Blackie

Posted

Great shots by that guy. Hope they still had the seatbelts on.

Posted
Bloody hell!

I will make sure I wear rubber-soled shoes next time I fly. I should have been gone yesterday to Tenerife for a few days but got taken ill at the airport and spent the afternoon at Luton hospital instead. Thankfully nothing serious so I will ertainly be airborn again soon. I may ask the pilot to avoid any nasty-looking cg clouds though. B)

I don't think you will find many pilots that will knowingly fly near let alone into Cb clouds.

Posted

Blimey!

A friend of mine was on a plane out to Mexico for his honeymoon when it got struck by lightning. Apparently when they landed the pilot informed the plane they had dropped 8000ft in the process and he had to land manually... when they returned for their trip home the plane was still grounded at Cancun airport!

Looking at that clip I can see why!

Posted
I don't think you will find many pilots that will knowingly fly near let alone into Cb clouds.

Indeed John, aircraft Nav displays have overlay of any weather on the aircraft track so requests for deviation request can be made to atc, an example

here:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Aircraft strikes happen more often than you think, Chances are if you fly a few times a year, you have been struck.

Aircraft cabins are designed to spread the charge over the entire craft evenly, Bit like a faraday cage ( if thats spelt correctly lol ) + the fact that your not earthed helps but the main thing is that its spread to minimize possible issues with igniting fuel / shorting vital kit.

However , with that said.

I would still prefer not to be struck lol

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

I've heard that on average every plane gets struck once.

On the same day that i came back from reus in spain last year a plane going to the same airport was struck and diverted to barcelona. Our flight was delayed because of the storm and we flew past it. It was amazing to see the massive clouds but scary too, very bad turbulence!!!

Heres a link to news story.

http://www.uk-airport-news.info/glasgow-ai...news-150906.htm

Edited by john2006