Hot?
IGNORED

Snow/Wintry Precipitation Reports: 23rd March 2004

Paul

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted

Just had a very very heavy hail/snow shower! It was a total whiteout for a minute there. Looked up from my desk because it had suddenly got very dark, and couldn't believe it!

Very unexpected, but very cool nonetheless.

It was an awesome sight actually as the hail was exceedingly heavy but there was snow with it which was getting whipped up and around!

Cool!

Posted

One large Cb came over us while I was doing a mock driving test, boy did it look nasty. It just missed us, it was a small, but intense shwer, I could see the rain/hail falling in my wing mirror, only had light rain here, but the drops were very big with some hail mixed in. It was the stinging type of hail too 8)

Posted

i had an extremley heavy hail/snow shower at 3.30pm, it was a whiteout for about 15mins, the temp went from 7.6c to 3.1 c, it was hail the size of marbles, some bigger, then freezing rain, then snow. About 1.5cms for a while, now most of it has all gone.

Posted

Not a snow report as such, well not a snow report at all......but does anybody feel like me that snow is not worth reporting unless it is proper snow, and it settles? I mean thats what snow is all about isn't it?

Sometimes I tire of reading report after report of rain and a little bit of sleet, which turned to snow for one nanosecond, and of course didn't lie.

I mean don't get me wrong, I've reported sleet myself, and short bursts of snow that didn't settle, you know to get into the spirit of things, so for that, I'm as guilty as the next man, but after about 5 months of it, is it worth reporting?

Perhaps the name of the forum should be changed from Snow reports to Wintry precipitation reports.....because when I look at the snow reports, I expect to hear of proper, lying snow if you know what I mean.

At least if its Wintry Precipitation reports, then I come on here expecting it could be anything, freezing rain, sleet, hail, snow, or even all in one go.

Perhaps I'm a bit odd, or being a little harsh, but what does everybody else think? Moderators, what do you think?

PS In hindsight, after rambling on so long, you should move this post into the general discussion forum.

Posted

Well, just to cheer Paul up, I went for a stroll this afternoon....well, more of a hike really.....up High Cup Nick in the northern Pennines, and there was plenty of snow above perhaps 2000ft. Cross Fell was well-covered and looked quite deep. It was gorgeous in the sunshine, but perishingly cold.

Archived