Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Top Ten Most Memorable Weather Events

Posted

Considering I'm in my early 20s, this will include some events I only have vague memories of or via childhood photos. Definitely a recency bias since I became more aware of the weather. And memorable should not be taken as a value judgement - I've included events I enjoyed and ones I hated.

Firstly, my ranks 5-10, in no particular order:

Winter 2003? (think it's 2003/04, could be one year either side as I only have a photo that is undated) - significant snow.

July 2006 - remember a childhood holiday on the east coast - day after day of incredibly warm and sunny weather.

Winter 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012 - all these winters saw very significant snowfalls, staying on the ground for several days.

Summer 2014 - somewhat under-rated, but a very good June and July.

More recently, I would go for the following in terms of memorability (there is a lot of recency bias in this):

4th place - September 2023 heatwave. Just extraordinary warmth for the time of year, very memorable, and enjoyable heat as well as the longer nights meant it wasn't oppressive for sleeping.

3rd place - March 2018 BFTE. My last year of high school - school shut for multiple days, including an extraordinary pile up of snow one morning (not sure what day) from when I got up at about 7am ish, dumping about 15cm or more in a few hours.

2nd place - Summer 2018. Bizarrely I don't have any more specific memories of this summer, but I do remember the very consistent warm weather. Shorts and T-shirt weather nearly every day, which is quite notable for Yorkshire.

1st place - Summer 2022, special prize of course to 18th and 19th July 2022. Not an enjoyable experience at all as the heat was far too much for me. Nevertheless, by far the most memorable weather event of my lifetime, to the point that it isn't even close. I don't care to repeat it though.