Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vantage Pro No Longer Transmitting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just installed my vantage pro 2 (finally! Its been sitting around the house waiting for the right pole and fixings for years!)

It was working fine for about an hour after installation but then started with a low battery message and now its stopped transmitting all together. I'll have to take it all down again to change the battery but was wondering why the solar panel wasnt just powering it... does it need time to store up some energy before it will start re-transmitting?

Edit: its just re-started transmitting and reporting low battery. So I guess it did need a little time to store some solar power.

Edited by Pipine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Our Vantage Pro battery eventually dies every couple of years, despite having a solar panel. Has the battery also been sitting around for years?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Our Vantage Pro battery eventually dies every couple of years, despite having a solar panel. Has the battery also been sitting around for years?

Yes, I set it all up ready to be installed a couple of years ago when i bought it then left it in a spare bedroom until this week when I finally got round to sorting it out. Shame I didn't think to replace the battery before I got my boyfriend to install it up a huge scaffolding pole!

Posted

It might build up charge through a sunny day if taking it down to replace battery is a problem right now.

The on-board capacitor is supposed to run it most of the time (when it's dark) and daylength is still reasonable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes, I set it all up ready to be installed a couple of years ago when i bought it then left it in a spare bedroom until this week when I finally got round to sorting it out. Shame I didn't think to replace the battery before I got my boyfriend to install it up a huge scaffolding pole!

Our Weatherlink software (which we got included with our CVP) has a graph available for signal strength. Over the course of a year or so it is quite obvious how the average signal strength decreases as the battery grows older. During the day it's fine thanks to the solar panel, but as soon as the sun goes down the signal gets weaker. With winter fast approaching you could see the battery spend more time dead than alive!