Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 7

Paul Sherman

Posted

Some pretty amazing Lightning pictures will be uploaded here in the next few hours. A strange chase as it started at 3am and ended at 7am local time and was led by the Silver Fox himself Brucie!

I opted out of this one with a few others who loved their bed more than the elevated Cg's around 30 miles to our North. 2 Car loads went North and then east and followed in between 2 elevated Thunderstorms, they got back to the hotel at 8am for some breakfast and :lazy::lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

That was well worth getting up for!

I could feel the frustrations of the last few days flowing away.

post-3392-0-57801900-1304776838_thumb.jppost-3392-0-79092000-1304776845_thumb.jp

post-3392-0-36308200-1304776833_thumb.jppost-3392-0-90188100-1304776840_thumb.jp

post-3392-0-60078500-1304776848_thumb.jppost-3392-0-26640000-1304776882_thumb.jp

post-3392-0-10748300-1304776873_thumb.jppost-3392-0-29911500-1304776843_thumb.jp

post-3392-0-45470900-1304776851_thumb.jppost-3392-0-80274700-1304776869_thumb.jp

post-3392-0-07807600-1304776879_thumb.jppost-3392-0-05305800-1304776876_thumb.jp

Thanks to both Ians and Tom for taking us there and getting in great positions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

With just 3 hours sleep and a 2am start, it didn't smell like it was going to be a good morning, but sometimes things just happen.....

gallery_1056_883_205205.jpg

gallery_1056_883_24664.jpg

Lucky shots, hand held (or balanced on the car roof for the first one, as I was either driving, getting ready to drive or fixing the gps gateway so didn't dig the tripod out.

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hey guys. Some stunning pictures there, well done.

Can I just ask how you got those pictures. Do you film the sky and then select the frame on some editing software, or do you take multiple pictures on a very expensive camera?

Posted

Wow, excellent photos :D

Not long now until i'm out there and photos like that build up the excitement!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Hey guys. Some stunning pictures there, well done.

Can I just ask how you got those pictures. Do you film the sky and then select the frame on some editing software, or do you take multiple pictures on a very expensive camera?

Mine were stills taken on a Canon EOS 450D, not that expensive now.

Most decent cameras should be able to do that no problem, you normally just need a tripod, a low ISO setting, and I normally go for the lowest F number and leave the shutter open up to a minute at night and when its lighter I use the highest F number with a few seconds exposure and still lowest ISO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Mine were taken in a similar way to Mark, but with no tripod. So the car roof shot was low iso, low f number and long exposure. The big lightning shot was handheld, low iso and f8, around 0.3 secs exposure I think

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
:drinks: Wow just incredible!! thanks and can't wait for more.. its what its all about, getting those photos, actually being there and experiencing it would be amazing for me, still images is what i love most. Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Afew from me too, well worth the early start,

thanks guys for getting up v early and getting us there :good:

post-8389-0-85641200-1304778953_thumb.jp

post-8389-0-97864800-1304778981_thumb.jp

post-8389-0-53225600-1304779008_thumb.jp

Craig.

Nice one :good:

Can I ask how close you were to the storm when you took those pictures? I was wondering because those bolts of lightning look rather dangerous

Posted

Lol nice, worth getting up for then (nutters!) :D

Spotted some good stuff on the stream so will go through that later and get some video uploaded from it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

WOW

Tose lightning shots are insane, so incredibly jealous right now!!!

I would get up any time of the night for shots like thaaaaaat!

Damnit still so long for me to wait until I can goooo!

Posted

Nice one :good:

Can I ask how close you were to the storm when you took those pictures? I was wondering because those bolts of lightning look rather dangerous

Thanks mate, we were pretty close, we were between two storms really, trying to keep out of the precip, Tom and Ian did a great job putting us in the right place to catch the action without being in the firing line, and avoiding the odd burning building :shok:

Posted

Thanks mate, we were pretty close, we were between two storms really, trying to keep out of the precip, Tom and Ian did a great job putting us in the right place to catch the action without being in the firing line, and avoiding the odd burning building :shok:

Thanks Craig :) Unfortunately, my poor health won't allow me to travel too far, so I'll never get the chance to experience the spectacular weather as you guys are. The best I can do is enjoy the magnificent pictures that you kindly take the time to post on here, which make me feel like I'm close to the action. Thanks mate, they're much appreciated :D

Posted

Wow guys. Some of those are among the best lightning shots I've ever seen. Looking at Mark's shots first I was thinking Jebus it doesnt get much better than this, especially the multiple discharge one, but some of the others are truly awesome also. Well done lads.

Posted

Oh right, thanks.

I just have a normal nikon digital camera. Don't think mine does that.

Posted

Tom has uploaded this video from the chase:

Some good shots of the lightning in there.

That roaring. Was that thunder or the gusty winds blowing against the mic?

Tom has uploaded this video from the chase:

Some good shots of the lightning in there.

That roaring. Was that thunder or the gusty winds blowing against the mic?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Gorgeous gorgeous shots guys! I'd definitely get up at any time of night for that!

Keep 'em coming! :good: