Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2011/2012

What do you think?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think this winter will turn out?

• Much milder than average
    • Slightly milder than average
    • Average
    • Slightly colder than average
    • Much colder than average

Posted
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]

I know it's a bit early but what do you think the coming winter has in store? Some are already going for another cold winter, and many factors are pointing that way!

I will post anything relevant I find on here to share with you all :)

Here's a few pics of what last winter gave us anyway!

post-12632-0-00061500-1308156697_thumb.j

post-12632-0-76288400-1308156775_thumb.j

post-12632-0-99993500-1308156894_thumb.j

post-12632-0-97908500-1308157530_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It is very early and I'm not sure how long this thread will last however a passing point if it doesn't survive is that last winter wasn't particularly cold, neither was the winter before.. However it was one month, and only one month (and a bit) that stood out as being significantly cold.

So I would say next winter has a significant chance of being around average, with a significant chance of another much colder than average month.

Posted

It is very early and I'm not sure how long this thread will last however a passing point if it doesn't survive is that last winter wasn't particularly cold, neither was the winter before.. However it was one month, and only one month (and a bit) that stood out as being significantly cold.

So I would say next winter has a significant chance of being around average, with a significant chance of another much colder than average month.

You're right there, but it was exceptionally cold for such an early stage of winter; the temperature didn't reach above 0°C for 13 consecutive days (i think from the 27th of November onwards) but there was snow on the ground from mid November until mid January! Infact, it was the coldest late November and early December on record (CET).

I actually think this winter could have another crack at being on the cold side, because like i said the factors still remain; the gulf stream has weakened something dramatic over the past year, solar activity is STILL low (the sunspot number was just 16 yesterday), we have had a huge amount of volcanic activity this year, and many of the factors have a lag effect as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

gone for slightly milder than average, i guess a similar winter to last year Dec, coldest month, (but not as cold as dec 10) Jan getting generally milder, and another snowless Feb for Southern UK!

Posted

gone for slightly milder than average, i guess a similar winter to last year Dec, coldest month, (but not as cold as dec 10) Jan getting generally milder, and another snowless Feb for Southern UK!

No matter what the outcome though, we will always get plenty of snow! Living at 1,072ft asl in the north!

Posted

Far too early for this.

For discussion beyond summer, try here: