Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Watchers Charity Rally (ireland-romania) Weather Watch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

2 weeks today until I start my epic 20 day Journey from Ireland - Romania, stopping off in Turkey and Bulgaria and possibly Germany while I'm there.

All in aid of Action Cancer the trip will be conducted in a car known as "The Bucket of Doom 2" owned by my friend. You can find her on facebook.

Donations can be made by going to http://www.justgiving.com/BucketofDoom/?fb_ref=fundraising-page-top&fb_source=profile_oneline

The full route will be published soon and I will post that as soon as it becomes available.

So weatherwise, what should me and Joanne expect on our Journey, which will more than likely be going over, or close the the Alps?

I haven't had a look myself yet, but I suspect heatwave conditions for most of the journey and some thunderstorms could also be in line.

Posted

A week to go, I'm very excited.... the route will be from Calais, head east into Switzerland then South to the Alps, heading over and through the Alpine region towards Romania. The drive will take 6 days....

Thereafter a trip round 8 countries on the return to Calais, including a stop in Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Germany and Holland.

Posted

Got camera and video camera sorted out so plenty of photos and videos of the trip, and of course any severe weather I come across on the journey.

Going to start looking at forecasts from tommorow.

Here's the car the trip will be made in:

155781_145803708801573_145797815468829_259329_2794238_n.jpg

Posted

3 days until I'm off to France from Ireland.

Arrive France on Thursday next week, staying around the Calais area until Sunday.

Rally starts on Sunday with the start and end points as follows:

Day1: Calais, France - Nurburg, Germany

Day2: Nurburg, Germany - Chur, Switzerland

Day3: Chur, Switzerland - Salzburg, Austria

Day4: Salzburg, Austria - (open day, end point wherever driver desires)

Day5: End point in Sibiu, Romania

Day6: Sibiu, Romania - Brasov, Romania

Thereafter (rally end) me and a mate will be heading down to Bulgaria to stay for a couple of days (she has an apartment there).

Then on the return trip to Calais we will be stopping off in Czech Republic, Germany and Holland to visit a few places.

Weather at the minute is looking relatively settled which is good, but one cannot rule out severe thunderstorm development, especially with a Southerly, Southwesterly airflow over France and significant LP over or near the British Isles by this time next week.

Posted

Not long now, beginning the journey at 8am tommorow. I'm excited. Drawing alot of media attention over here and the weather is looking pretty sweet. Cannot wait to get back and report on how much we raised and the videos and pics of the journey.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Good luck man.

Nice looking car! Sure it will make the distance?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Back safe and sound, 25 days, 6500 miles, 11 countries visited. The car only had minor injuries which is a small oil leak from the head gasket and indicator problems, apart from that it survived the long motorways of France and Germany, the winding and high altitude roads of Switzerlands Juliu Pass and Romanias Transfaragasan highway, the crazy drivers of the pot hole filled Romanian and Bulgarian roads, a car ferry trip over the Danube border between Romania and Bulgaria, a night time thunderstorm in Calais on 3rd September, Oktoberfest in Germany (and a minor Oktoberfest in Romania), the sweltering heat in Eastern Europe, and more importantly, my smelly unchanged for 7 day socks. Getting the pictures and video sorted over the next few days and going to write a small diary of the trip to post up. Not sure how much was raised yet, will check shortly.