Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Denmark Storm

willinkent

Posted

140mph winds in Denmark.....

My brother in Birkerod 120mph winds, windows blown in, nextdoor neighbours scaffolding down.... power now out.... ferry has been grounded, apparently local shops have windows blown in, trees crushed local train at Birkerod station according to tv2 danish news.... jeez.... 140mph recorded in north Denmark.... yikes.....

Posted

Cant believe that lows missing Scotland are doing so much damage in Norway/Denmark/Sweden..... while since that happened...... some snow before i get there now? I can only hope.... so warm there at mo for this time of year.....:)

Posted

My brother said an hour ago on skype that scaffolding on nextdoor neighbours house is down and in trees..... he said its worse than winter storm in isle of man in 1990s.... wind has broken front windows in lounge/kitchen.... apparently town is really badly affected.... lots of trees down..... sounds horrendous....

Posted

Possibly it was 140 km/hr and not 140 mph? METARS peak at about 65-70 knot gusts (Aalborg 67 knots at about 18z). Those would be sufficient to account for the damage reports. As such, the storm was only slightly stronger than locally in Ireland and northeast England overnight (Sat-Sun) although it looks as though the strong winds lasted longer in Denmark.

I think with winds gusting to 140 mph you would have major damage and many deaths and injuries.

Posted

Apparently gust of 112mph (48m/s) recorded near Skagerak up north..... lots of damage.... many trees down and rooves off houses... my brother only had his garden umbrella broken and a smashed window..... but in his garden branches were shoved into the grass and soil like darts....he said it was very odd to look at..... reminded him of wood jammed through trees after tornadoes..... people were trapped in a train near Birkerod for four hours after hitting a tree.... Copenhagen port area flooded after high tides too.... round two later this week by the looks of things..... not as bad as 2005 storm apparently.....

Edited by willinkent

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Heading to Denmark 8th December.....forecasts confusing, one says 4c and haevy rain, other says 3c max and sleet/snow..... one even said yesterday max -6c by tuesday and heavy snow sunday/monday...these are local forecasts.... jeez thought uk forecasts were topseeturvee! hoping for at least a bit of snow....they are predicting a bit of a storm friday night though......23m/s to 32m/s winds..... (52 mph to 72 mph)....maybe with sleet/snow? too hopeful I think..... will update from Denmark over weekend.....

new gfs update favouring more snow than 12z run........ come on......all Im asking for is a dusting..... at least then I can say Ive seen snow before xmas......