Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Sunny Winter?

Bottesford

They probably have been pretty hard to come by Liverpool, as the current dominant westerly pattern encourages an east/west split.

http://www.metoffice...y_1971-2000.gif

Liverpool averaged around an hour of sunshine per day in December and that easily could have come across a few days, so I can understand AderynCoch's point of view.

A cloudy winter here so far, the Christmas period was especially cloudy, but apart from that a mix with some sunny intervals, but no wall to wall sunshine like Dec 10.

A tricky one, but can anyone spot the difference between these 2 maps.

Although according to Philip Eden, January has been sunnier than normal, which surprises me a little. Certainly sunnier than Dec, but I didn't think that sunny.

http://www.climate-uk.com/page2.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Another partly sunny day here and feeling very pleasant out of the wind (which is quite strong).

It really has been an 'easy' winter this time for the first time in some years. Looking forward to spending the gas money on fun stuff this summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Today has been characterised by cloudy periods but also a good deal of bright or sunny spells. In any lengthy sunshine a t-shirt is quite acceptable to go outside in.

Very satisfied with sunshine amounts so far this winter which have been well above average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Today has been characterised by cloudy periods but also a good deal of bright or sunny spells. In any lengthy sunshine a t-shirt is quite acceptable to go outside in.

Very satisfied with sunshine amounts so far this winter which have been well above average.

Blimey it sounds like a different world to here. Very little sunshine today, just a few fleeting intervals, and a W/NW wind averaging between 30 and 38 mph with a temp' around 5c making it feel decidedly cold. The walking fraternity in the area are clad in full windproofs/ waterproofs with hoods up and secured.

Another partly sunny day here and feeling very pleasant out of the wind (which is quite strong).

It really has been an 'easy' winter this time for the first time in some years. Looking forward to spending the gas money on fun stuff this summer!

Don't get spending that gas money just yet, Botty, there's still February and March to go yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I spoke to soon. Now 100% cloud cover and looking quite dull.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Oh no I'll keep the gas money going in as normal and hope to claim some back in summer! It ain't over till the fat lady sings - I remember many a freezing cold March. Spring is a long way off yet.

Still it's solstice + 1 month now - we're out the darkness pit of the year now - the steady climb begins...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Following on from a sunny December here which saw 73 hours (155%) of sunshine, January was very sunny indeed with 89 hours (162%).

It's certainly going to be a very sunny winter. Even if February is the dullest on record the total will be above the 1971-2000 mean.

Posted

Yes absolutely - despite my earlier fears and moaning about easterlies so far this one has been great!

This winter so far has been almost perfect for me. If we get a good dumping of snow today and a reasonable sunny couple of weeks of a freeze (then a warm up) it'll make it spot on.