Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Astrophotography With A Dslr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Haha my apologies OON. Freudian slip there. I know what I wanted to say but it came out wrong. I blame reading my star sign this morning. Anyway I'll go and put my teeth back in lol.

Posted

Went out again last night. The bright Moon made things difficult, but still got a rather pleasing shot of Leo with Mars just underneath. Notice how the trees appear to be moving yet the stars stay still? That was a 5min exposure.

post-717-0-96561500-1328261403_thumb.jpg

Also, attached my camera to the end of my telescope and took a few quick picks of the Moon. Essentially, the telescope becomes a 600mm f6 lens. The best way to get close ups of the Moon is to use a webcam, take a video, stack the individual frames, and hey presto, but this would good enough for last night, seeing as it was below -7º.

post-717-0-86148200-1328261422_thumb.jpg

Left my kit out last night too - looks a bit cold.

post-717-0-54860900-1328261286_thumb.jpg

post-717-0-21047500-1328261302_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi all, Have just came across this thread, And thought i would share my orion nebula photo.

Taken with a Meade DSI color ccd camera through a skywatcher 130p telescope, It's the best i have managed yet, But i know i can get better with a longer exposure. This one is 120 x 5s exposures stacked.

post-2816-0-30932700-1328285249_thumb.jp

Posted

Wow - just from lots of 5sec exposures?! I'm looking forward to getting my TV85 on a tracking mount, but haven't got a CCD camera, so will have to rely on my DSLR for now.

That's very impressive from what is a very portable telescope!

Posted

i have only got a Alt-Azimuth Mount, I was told astrophotography was only possible with a equatorial mount. But with alot of Patience and time even the moddest set up you can get some stunning images. I wish i had got a DSLR now, As i would love to take some widefield shots. But for deep sky the DSI is a very good camera for it's price. Very espensive hobby though lol.

This was my first attempt at M42 with a webcam in january 2011. A good 800 frames stacked with deep sky stacker. But only captured the core. But this image got me hooked as soon as it popped up on screen.

post-2816-0-34219400-1328357013_thumb.jp

Edited by stormyskys

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Here are the first shots with my new DSLR (Canon 1100 which turns out to be more suitable than the much more expensive 600D or even 60D). Used a prime focus 50mm lens too, and both were taken at ISO400 for 5 minutes.

Completely unprocessed - just as they came off the memory card.

post-717-0-11189500-1330414270_thumb.jpg post-717-0-14504000-1330414325_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to use the RAW files and try stacking multiple images.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Here are the first shots with my new DSLR (Canon 1100 which turns out to be more suitable than the much more expensive 600D or even 60D). Used a prime focus 50mm lens too, and both were taken at ISO400 for 5 minutes.

Completely unprocessed - just as they came off the memory card.

post-717-0-11189500-1330414270_thumb.jpg post-717-0-14504000-1330414325_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to use the RAW files and try stacking multiple images.

Wow, awesome!

What zoom were they taken at?!

Posted

No zoom lens on them, just a plain old 50mm lens!

Wow, absolutely sensational.

You have such a great view of the stars due to lack of light pollution I imagine. I came across a similar thing when I visited Anglesey. The island has very little light pollution, the view of the night sky is astounding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Hi There, I'm in the US at the time of the annular solar eclipse and wondered what photography tips people may have. I'll be using a Nikon D3100 with a 200mm zoom lens and planning to use a DIY solar filter using Baader Solar film.

Posted

Hey OON,

Just wondering if you have any tips for me regarding photographing the stars?

post-8895-0-87436800-1331036434_thumb.jp

That's the best I've managed. ISO cranked up to 6400 (the glare is the moon) using a tripod on 10 second timer. -0.3 exposure.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5596007/Trail/searchtext%3ECAMERA.htm

This is the camera I have, unsure if I could better my results with limited resources?

Thanks. :D

Posted

With the Moon about you're going to find it difficult as with the longer exposure you're just going to increase the amount of Moon glow you capture.

ISO6400 might capture fainter stars but it also captures more noise, so you don't really gain much. I'd knock the ISO down to about 400, and then perhaps take lots of 20 second exposures. You can then "stack" them (you'll have to Google for some more info on this) which sort of draws out detail that can't be seen in any one individual photo. Without some means of tracking, I suspect that's your best bet.

Here's a 1sec exposure I took at ISO6400 to check focus, but there was no Moon and my skies are very dark.

post-717-0-19537300-1331117822_thumb.jpg

Posted

With the Moon about you're going to find it difficult as with the longer exposure you're just going to increase the amount of Moon glow you capture.

ISO6400 might capture fainter stars but it also captures more noise, so you don't really gain much. I'd knock the ISO down to about 400, and then perhaps take lots of 20 second exposures. You can then "stack" them (you'll have to Google for some more info on this) which sort of draws out detail that can't be seen in any one individual photo. Without some means of tracking, I suspect that's your best bet.

Here's a 1sec exposure I took at ISO6400 to check focus, but there was no Moon and my skies are very dark.

post-717-0-19537300-1331117822_thumb.jpg

Right, I get it. Nice one :)

One problem though, I don't think I can change the exposure length. :(

Posted

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't - doesn't it have a mode called shutter priority?

Ideally you want full manual control, with the longest exposure you can get, and the aperture wide open (although not fully open generally). If you can link me to the instruction manual (if it's online) I'll take a look for you. You won't have what's called a bulb setting though - that's where you can leave the shutter open as long as you like. You'll probably have a 30 second limit.

Posted

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't - doesn't it have a mode called shutter priority?

Ideally you want full manual control, with the longest exposure you can get, and the aperture wide open (although not fully open generally). If you can link me to the instruction manual (if it's online) I'll take a look for you. You won't have what's called a bulb setting though - that's where you can leave the shutter open as long as you like. You'll probably have a 30 second limit.

That'd be great :)

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17176/~/user's-manual---nikon-coolpix-l120---guide-to-digital-photography

It's a 12mb PDF download. The English one preferably, unless you prefer to speak Spanish? :lol:

Edited by Goku

Posted

Must be a fake, as we never landed there really did we?

That'd be great :)

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17176/~/user's-manual---nikon-coolpix-l120---guide-to-digital-photography

It's a 12mb PDF download. The English one preferably, unless you prefer to speak Spanish? :lol:

Nope - you don't appear to have shutter priority or manual exposure, so I'm not sure it's going to be possible to capture much in the way of stars or planets I'm afraid.

Posted

Must be a fake, as we never landed there really did we?

Nope - you don't appear to have shutter priority or manual exposure, so I'm not sure it's going to be possible to capture much in the way of stars or planets I'm afraid.

Damn, that sucks.

When I next upgrade my camera I'll make sure I have full manual control, as I'm moving out of the realms of 'noob'

Thanks for your help. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Very nice OON, Venus especially looks incredible in that. What settings did you use?

Posted

That was a 3min exposure at ISO 400 and f5.6. I think the rays coming from Venus are just down to lens flare from the lens iris. Don't really have a clue what I'm doing yet, but the photos look pretty which is all I really care about!

Posted

Here's tonight's effort - Auriga, high in the west with the Milky Way running through it. You can even make out two open clusters; M37 & M38, both of which are about 4000 light years away.

post-717-0-73376000-1332369076_thumb.jpg post-717-0-59714700-1332369083_thumb.jpg post-717-0-85211700-1332369090_thumb.jpg