Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 4th August 2012>

Posted

If it carries on developing like it is, then it looks like Wales could be the place to be tonight!

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

well as several have already posted, elevated thunderstorms are breaking out over mid/north devon and NNWwards into the Bristol Channel grazing SW Wales....These storms will train NNW along the trough, whilst the trough itself pushes NE...This can be seen by running the radar loop for the past hour or so, indeed the trough has moved 20-40 miles NEwards during that time period..An interesting and perhaps noisy night beckons for wales, the west country, and dare I say it, the west midlands later on tonight and into the morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

As others have said, it is indeed looking good for a few parts of the UK into the overnight period, perfect!

Areas of potential interest are highlighted on the attached imagery. This seems to tie up with other members thoughts but may be ocurring ahead of schedule. It's game on for a light show tonight for some. acute.gif

post-7183-0-06175700-1344714943_thumb.gi

Good luck and best wishes. drinks.gif

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just seen some lightning over the Bristol Channel! smile.png

Edit: Though I think it will miss me because the direction its going which is to the NW, so the activity needs to be more to my south east!

Seen several to my south/south west now, activity seems to be increasing - if only it was coming towards me!

Edited by DeepSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Maybe even looking good for glos, fingers crossed :-)

You had to say it!

Posted

Just seen some lightning over the Bristol Channel! smile.png

Edit: Though I think it will miss me because the direction its going which is to the NW, so the activity needs to be more to my south east!

Seen several to my south/south west now, activity seems to be increasing - if only it was coming towards me!

It is the big shower currently off barnstaple that is causing the lightning, currently heading towards swansea according to radar

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Surface fairly dry across the SW, 11-12C dew points to 19-20C temps on latest obs, so despite some bright echoes on the radar - be interesting to see how much rain actually reaches the ground before evaporating through the dry stable boundary layer beneath these elevated Accas storms across the SW. Though I suspect eventually the boundary layer will moisten to allow more rain to fall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

ATTENTION ATTENTION ,SEVERAL GOOD FLASHES WAY OUT TOWARDS EXMOOR , thought i felt a spot of rain whilst having my fag ,a definate line of showers heading towards the west of swansea . one or two crackles on radio ,wind gone calm , just notced a couple of radar blips over dorset . just checked with friend in minehead and its lightening quite brightly overhead although it could be flickering from other directions .best of luck gang with trough moving north east . tues /thurs now looks like a POSSIBLE monsooooooooon ,drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Though its been too far away for any thunder, its been nice to see my first proper lightning this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Havent read this all day as the risk seemed very small. Now i read theres lightning being seen over parts of the SW.

Whats the likelyhood of this reaching the West Country? Or is it forecast to move more NW into wales as the front/trough moves NE?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Do i do an all-nighter or do I get up early in the morning. Hard to call has its moving very slowly NE, not forecast to get here until AM, but seems ahead of schedule and, in terms of the weather, not really that far away!

Decisions Decisions!

Posted

Just saw a flash and heard a rumble off to the SW, with a few spots of rain in the air and a cool breeze.

The perfect end to a horrible, sticky day.

Posted

Sky has looked really thundery this evening, lots of unstable/turbulent altocumulus, several 'towering altocumulus' and CB cells on the NW horizon, felt as if I could see a distant flash in the cloud tops at any time though didn't see any while watching. Heard a few very distant rumbles though.

Had a short moderate shower from a small shower that didn't look more intense on radar so looks like some is reaching the ground.

At times it was like I could hear a really quiet 'rumble' the same 'pitch' of thunder, wonder if that's just the very remnants of rumbles from the main cell near North Devon?

Turning my eye to the heavier Echos near S Devon now and hoping they can develop some electrical activity a bit closer to me.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

That was weird,took a short walk up my street that gives me a 360 degree view and it rained literally for like 5 seconds with large drops,no lightning or thunder though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I am hoping that those in the SW get some storms tonight as they have been quite starved of them so far this season.

As for me, i can look forward to an interruption free sleep (if the rising humidity doesn't make this problematical) and will then be travelling down to Derby tomorrow late morning. It looks like I could (fingers crossed) be in good time to swing west into the NW Midlands and catch something.

Had lost hope for tomorrow if i am honest, but that Skywarn forecast looks promising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Some lightning and thunder but it's still all out at sea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I wouldn't get too excited. The radar does look good, and there's some elevated lightning in places, but that's how it's likely to stay. Also worth mentioning, i messaged a few friends that were under some of those rain echo's and they said nothing is falling, a layer of warm air is evaporating the precip before it hits the surface in a lot of places. Enjoy any lightning though!

Edited by Mapantz