Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Your Wishlist For Summer 2013 (a Light Relief From Winter Thread)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

After a cold crisp winter with some snow I would like to see the temperatures warm up from the middle to the end of Feb so that any snow left melts in the sunshine and is not washed away by dismal warm fronts.

Temps to gradually rise through March to reach a max of 22C by the end - we will have to have some rain to start the growing season off but I would prefer this in the form of showers through to the beginning/middle of May with temps still rising to a max of 28 by the end of May.

Then I would like to see some anticyclonic weather through to July with lovely crystal clear skies and warm evenings with temps up to 32 C giving the opportunity for BBQ's outside and if the neighbours are singing late at night I will go round and join them - I can sing out of tune as well as anybody else.

Continuing the mainly dry warm/hot weather through July and August with a thunderstorm every few days to keep the water boards and the farmers happy, provided they don't cause too much damage to the crops. Max temps still about 32C but falling off to 28C at the end.

September and October to continue with a dry theme with the max falling to 21C - I love seeing the the change of leaf colour silhouhetted against a clear azure sky.

If we have to have some frontal rains and fogs, let's get them over and done with during November and the first half of December, then look forward to a period of crisp dry snow and sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Another Summer just like the one previous please.

Yes that would be lovely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Thunderstorms, the Supercell type arisen from Spanish plumes and a massive MCS.

Also hail & tornadoes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

A summer which was average right across the board would be good after recent disappointments but as the last 6 summers have been so poor (not necessarily IMBY) we are overdue a really good one along the lines of 2003, 2006. The law of averages should say that we are due a wonderful one sometime soon. However Its not like the last 6 summers have been totally devoid of any good weather. For example June 2009 and 2010 were good as was August 2009 and August 2011. Its just getting 3 decent months one after another that has been difficult.

Next year i want several nationwide spells of good weather with temperatures peaking in the low 30s in the south and the warmth extending up into Scotland like it used to do. Especially I would also like eastern Scotland to see above average sunshine next summer to compensate for such a dreadful summer this year. If several hot spells is asking too much then i really wouldnt mind 3 months along the lines of August 2012 which was warm enough and reasonaby dry and sunny. It would be nice also for at least 2 months to be above average temperature wise.

But most importantly i want a northerly tracking jet stream to make a good summer possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Would not rofl.gif

Would too!

But a warm Summer would be nice as well.

When it comes to Summer I like everything; warm, sunny, stormy, torrential downpours, etc.

Here is what I would really like, 6 foot of snow, temperatures of -40C, and a bitter wind, but only in the morning.

Then, in the afternoon, I would like 25C, sunny, calm, followed by a supercell pelting us with hailstones the size of elephants.

It hasn't happened in my lifetime yet, but one day...

Posted

Also frequent charts similar to the one below

1zmgvo2.png

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

An actual "summer" will do just fine.

Very nice variety of reactions/fantasies here in this thread, so I'm glad I've started it.

Above suggestion will do as a compromise!

1zmgvo2.png

I'm your new best friend Milhouse ....

Would ideally like to alter the date on that to apply to the 15th of June 2013 onwards ....

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted

But most importantly i want a northerly tracking jet stream to make a good summer possible.

Basic requirement for summer fans, really!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

1zmgvo2.png

I'll book that for the whole second half of June please!

Posted

I would put warm and dry evenings on my list of requirements too. Not damp showery cool ones. This summer wasnt too bad in that respect but i remember Summer 2011 for a total lack of nice evenings. Almost every one seemed to be cool and/or wet.

Posted

I do enjoy a good thunderstorm and would gladly take lots of them, but that is providing they come from southerly plume situations rather than cool cyclonic set ups. Hearing a distant rumble on a warm and sultry evening is fantastic. On the other hand, hearing it on a cloudy and cool day in mid summer when the month has already seen twice the average rainfall isnt. If next year all 3 summer months saw around 3/4 of average rainfall with most of it coming from thunderstorms i would be very happy.

Take last June for example. June 28th saw amazing amounts of rainfall here and across many parts of the country. If that had come in an otherwise dry month i would have appreciated it as a memorable weather event. However as June had been so wet leading up to it it just served to compound the misery.

Posted

Note to self: Start Winter 2013/14 want thread in mid April 2013.

Those wanting snow have done well in recent winters. Those wanting heat have moslty been left disappointed. Hence there are some who are getting a bit frustrated and are already turning their attention to next year

Edited by Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I must admit that I sometimes find it rather contrary on a forum populated by many weather enthusiasts, when the model output thread becomes focused exclusively on the prospects for sustained dry, settled weather.

Having said that, I've noticed that I tend to view those spells with largely clear skies and unusual warmth as notable weather events in themselves, perhaps partly due to their rarity in the UK, and so I don't get much of a sense of there being no "weather" to look at. I'm not sure if this is common among hardcore weather enthusiasts, but I particularly noticed it working that way for me during the late-May spell.

It's more those non-descript settled spells with cloud, a bit of sun and the odd bit of drizzle that leave me feeling that notable "weather" is hard to find. However, in fairness, there was a remarkable amount of that type of weather during the low pressure-dominated spells of June and July this year in between the deluges!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Exactly. None of this days upon days of sunshine. If we get a summer like that, it will have been a crap one. Just my opinion, of course. I really do struggle, though, to understand how, if you're a weather enthusiast, you would want plenty of calm, sunny days as opposed to days dominated by thunderstorms. Which is why I always come to the conclusion that there aren't actually that many weather enthusiasts on here.

The popularity of snow in winter and sunshine and warmth in summer is very much a common interest among the public - particularly young people in the case of the former - and not just on this forum. Does that make a good portion of the public weather enthusiasts?

I don't know. Guess I'm a little lost.

Since when is snow popular amongst the public? Except for sledging and building snowmen I cannot think of an instance when snow is greatly popular amongst the general public, since it does generate a fair few problems in the UK.

I generally agree though, if the only thing you want, is endless sunshine and warmth, then you are not really a weather enthusiast in the truest sense of the term. However, if the only thing you want is thunderstorms then your interest in weather is very limited. I advise you drop the incredibly condescending tone of the majority if not all your posts.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Simple answer = A mix of summery weather and interesting weather

That interesting weather could include warm/hot and thundery spells, a few heavy rain events, and breezy/ quite windy days. A decent amount of warmth and sunshine would be nice though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Being a 'weather enthusiast' isn't some club where people only interested in extremes are welcome. Taking an interest in weather and climate includes more benign conditions too for the subtlties in conditions they bring.

If we're talking clear skies a lot then you get the astronomy interest too - seeing the changing position of the sun, moon & everything else is only possible under clear skies.

For me I do like some extreme weather and love a good thunderstorm. Wouldn't want them all the time though as then you can't enjoy the outdoors so easily. I'd prefer a mostly dry (not a drought though) summer with most of the heavy rainfall & windy events to occur in autumn & winter.

Posted

A 1996 type summer would be pretty respectable. A June 1996 type would be good, a lot better than another June 2012 type.

14th June 1996

Nice to see that forecast as my 18th birthday was on Saturday 15th - it was a beautiful day, and I was lucky enough for it to fall on a weekend too. I enjoyed summer 1996, it isn't talked about much, probably as it came after 1995, but if it happened next year after the last 6 summers I think a lot of people would be happy.