Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

was it?....I honestly don't remember having snow, or at least not an amount worth remembering...I'll have to check the archives to remind myself what happened

You must have just missed out AJ. Us lot towards the South Midlands had a very special event. :)

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

You must have just missed out AJ. Us lot towards the South Midlands had a very special event. smile.png

Yes, I checked the nw extra radar archives lAst night, and yep, it looked to be a mainly south & east of Brum event.....We managed to get a measly dusting from that unfortunately!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yes, I checked the nw extra radar archives lAst night, and yep, it looked to be a mainly south & east of Brum event.....We managed to get a measly dusting from that unfortunately!

Yep, anywhere South of Wolverhampton, West and South of Brum did well. I believe the far SW Midlands missed the highest amounts though but for the Black Country, Worcestershire, Most of Herefordshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire way it was by far my best snow event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Strange (or not) that this sites forecast only gives 30% chance of snow in the early hours of tomorrow, whilct BBC and MetOffice just show a dry day ?

No wonder we get confused.

I think it's mainly because the Net Weather snow risk for a given location is based on GFS model data, whilst the Met Office use a NAE based higher resolution model... Still, I would watch the radar and sky in your location, because even the best model output is prone to levels of inaccuracy even at very short time scales......In other words......All to play for! smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

My children would be delighted just to see snow falling but we rarely do well in marginal situations as we are quite low.

Posted

I think it's mainly because the Net Weather snow risk for a given location is based on GFS model data, whilst the Met Office use a NAE based higher resolution model... Still, I would watch the radar and sky in your location, because even the best model output is prone to levels of inaccuracy even at very short time scales......In other words......All to play for! smile.png

That's actually not strictly true - the metoffice do use their nae for the first 24 or 48 hours in their forecasts but they also don't use the full grid. They have 5000 or so locations they provide forecasts for across the UK, so when you put in a postcode or town you're going to be getting the nearest point which matches rather than the exact match. While (for the time being) we do use the GFS for the first part of the forecast which is a lower res than the NAE, we use the full grid and localise it further so you're at least getting a forecast for the specific point you have requested which can make a difference.

Also of course a 30% risk of snow equates to a 70% risk of it not snowing biggrin.png

Posted

That's actually not strictly true - the metoffice do use their nae for the first 24 or 48 hours in their forecasts but they also don't use the full grid. They have 5000 or so locations they provide forecasts for across the UK, so when you put in a postcode or town you're going to be getting the nearest point which matches rather than the exact match. While (for the time being) we do use the GFS for the first part of the forecast which is a lower res than the NAE, we use the full grid and localise it further so you're at least getting a forecast for the specific point you have requested which can make a difference.

Also of course a 30% risk of snow, equates to a 70% risk of it not snowing biggrin.png

The polite way of saying "you're talking out of your backside"...lol......I jest!....I've noticed that on the Met Office website, when I punch in my postcode, it gives a forecast based on a location 6km away, a location which is much lower in elevation, which could make all the difference when it comes to snowfall forecasting.......You live and learn! good.gif

Posted

I'm in South Staffs a few miles from Wombourne and we got around 8 inches of snow that December which lasted for over a week!

Lying snow on Christmas day was amazing then it all started thawing on boxing day night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

we didnt get much ither in 2010 but it was ok. So far the usial places getting the white stuf at the moment and some peeps going on like its uncommen for scotland and places like that to get snow winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

best sno i remembor here in brum. R jan87, dec90 and feb91.

Posted

best sno i remembor here in brum. R jan87, dec90 and feb91.

me too, but i think we've been paying for it ever since lol rofl.gif

Posted

just ran the precip chart on the MetO mobile app, for tomorrow morning. at 3am to 6am the precip slides to the west and east of Northampton. leaving us in a dry zone rofl.gif

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

You should all move to Wales snowmagedon on the way according to us lot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

really good FI again 0n GFS 12Z, but really is a mile away, 11th Dec easterly arrives, 00Z had decent battleground setup, 06Z cold stayed east, 12Z maybe snow off north sea and battleground

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

What you thinking for morning Gimme? Rain?

Not really thought about it but to me just pure rain, very much like 01 Dec just gone, higher elevations likely to see a few inches

Posted

Watch this space chaps....down in the south, and south west, our very own BBC weatherman & Netweather poster Ian Fergusson has hinted that tomorrow might spring a surprise or two, I'll be watching his forecast in 30 mins time, no doubt he'll be posting up his thoughts later this evening......one post you don't want to miss!

Posted

Watch this space chaps....down in the south, and south west, our very own BBC weatherman & Netweather poster Ian Fergusson has hinted that tomorrow might spring a surprise or two, I'll be watching his forecast in 30 mins time, no doubt he'll be posting up his thoughts later this evening......one post you don't want to miss!

bbc1at 18:55?

Posted

Showers packing in more over Wales right now, starting to look more organised. But mainly rain being reported from the Welsh stations...and I'm not sure conditions are right for any wintryness here just yet.

The next 24 hours might not give us much...but it's fun to have something to keep an eye on and discuss anyway! We shall see...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Both midlands forceasts looked very poor indeed. Rain to low levels with sleet or wet snow to the malverns/moors.

Posted

Both midlands forceasts looked very poor indeed. Rain to low levels with sleet or wet snow to the malverns/moors.

Thye forecast heavy rain with a chance of sleet in 1990 and we got 2.2 foot of snow!!

Posted

shafali says no snow and we all know shafali is always spot on

no lampost watching tonight then and she said dry for friday and weekend

A foot of snow tomorrow it is then!