Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

That is some shift west - in a short space of time - in 1982 it was also very marginal for the far SW with most forecasts predicting a brief snow to rain event - we all know what happened next!

haha dont, im getting excited, i have a weird feeling about this one, so hope for some more corrections south and west but the 18z is good enough for me, slighty more shift and were game on even in pembrokeshire

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Difference in the shift west on NAE can be really shown for Swansea, snow at 06 hours and still heavy snow at midday on NAE. Thats pretty impressive upgrade from a hi res

sounds interesting, any charts to show this please :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Lovely wispy light snow falling over Riverside in Cardiff.

Posted

NAE by Friday 18.00hrs has the snow falling line running pretty much Swansea to Aber- still plenty of snow east of this; dew points, temps, 850s too high by then to the west.

As Brady says, looking for the overnight runs to at worst firm-up on this, at best shift things a little further west again... for down here, anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

The snow looks like glitter. Very pretty. Any reason for it :s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Had light to moderate snow since about 6pm and lasted until 9:30ish tonight.

Posted

Hopefully these upgrades continue in the morning, could be a great day for all Friday, i wonder if UKMO have modified the NAE Raw output to something further east or is this westward trend a new trend?

Posted

PS. Ian F just tweeting to someone saying UKMO going with GM and UK4 and not using NAE 18z regarding precip totals. Dissapointingn but understandable. So basically we need NAE runs tomorrow to continue to show this back west before MetO take notice of it.

Edited by bradythemole

Posted

Although there has been a westward trend for the initial snowfall I think there is still going to be a thawing in the SW of Wales (and England) druing Friday evening.

Even if this westward trend continues I believe there is still going to be thawing in SW.

Also, have you seen this forecast from the Met Office regarding accumulations:

BAvGwsJCEAE_FoM.jpg

Posted

The snow looks like glitter. Very pretty. Any reason for it :s

thats cause you just come out of the pub LOL ;) nah joking perhaps its just the lights reflecting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just been out and its neither snowing or raining, rather these very small ice crystals - weird!

Posted

Although there has been a westward trend for the initial snowfall I think there is still going to be a thawing in the SW of Wales (and England) druing Friday evening.

Even if this westward trend continues I believe there is still going to be thawing in SW.

BAvGwsJCEAE_FoM.jpg

You're probably right, but seeing falling snow down here is rare enough let alone perhaps some of it sticking for any time at all! And with it coming in the early hours, there's the added possibility of a snow-day off work... ;-)

BAvGwsJCEAE_FoM.jpg

That was issued this morning. However it may still be right.

I'd take 5cm though if offered.

Posted

You're probably right, but seeing falling snow down here is rare enough let alone perhaps some of it sticking for any time at all! And with it coming in the early hours, there's the added possibility of a snow-day off work... ;-)

yes i just want to see snow, dont really mind if it thaws at the moment, however i must urge this may be a one off from the NAE and it may easily downgrade to previous outputs in the morning. Tomorrows ones are crucial and will decide.

Posted

One thing I missed earlier is the surface flow http://expert-images...011806_1618.gif

6am Friday, South Easterly.

Lovely Jackone what the welsh forum ordered.One more a thing nice hard frost tonight and tomorrow. Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Good or bad? smile.png

Good, SE surface flow results in lower dew points and uppers become not so much of a concern.

Brady is right - if the westward correction is not repeatable in tomorrow's output then it's cold rain for the south-west.

Still think it will turn to rain in some parts of the west, especially southern parts of the counties. But if we continue the westwards trend tomorrow its game on for all areas but it is important that the 00z NAE continues this otherwise the 18z could be classed as a sort of outlier. UKMO wont go for it until it has more continuity so lets hope its 00z is as good or better than 18z.

Posted

Brady is right - if the westward correction is not repeatable in tomorrow's output then it's cold rain for the south-west.

look we kept the the cold brisk S Easterly great news.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

What's this about this split they are talking about on sw thread. What effect would it have on us? :s