Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Dew points are now rising..... now at -1.8ºC..If they rise much further a wintry mix looking likely (here on the coast). Probably due to winds increasing blowing off a relatively 'warm' North Sea. Still on the right side of marginal but for how long?

Edited by NL

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Definitely snow showers here now, but I'm sure that I wasn't mistaken when I said it rained earlier as I even opened the front door to check.

You werent going mad, i deffo saw it too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

So ecm had mainly snow with some heavy sleet, IF.

For Durham, yep, lots of snow lying for you according to the ECM, but up the road at Chester-le-Street mostly sleet with some snow... very close.

Snowing heavily here, -1.8c dew point.

Posted

Some of the East Anglians are reporting between 8 and 15cm snow so far and they are still sat right underneath the system......also I have noticed the shower activity slowly pepping up in advance and the band has rapidly expanded up toward Humberside now....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Some of the East Anglians are reporting between 8 and 15cm snow so far and they are still sat right underneath the system......also I have noticed the shower activity slowly pepping up in advance and the band has rapidly expanded up toward Humberside now....

In line with MetO and NWP modelling, opportunity for 20-30cm for Consett, 30-45cm in the North Pennines, where is Mark/Tucco/Teesdale?

Posted

I hate these situations. The curtain opening moment tomorrow is going to be a moment of genuine tension that only us weather geeks could understand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The radar is showing the area of snow pushing into North Lincolnshire by 20:15 its getting here slowly

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

And don't forget east facing high ground in the NE is predicted much higher totals than East Anglia was!

Posted

In line with MetO and NWP modelling, opportunity for 20-30cm for Consett, 30-45cm in the North Pennines, where is Mark/Tucco/Teesdale?

Well, yes, but some are saying now it is exceeding their modelled expectations, especially given it looks like they will have this system over them for some hours to come, I did notice the BBC extending the duration of the snowfall into tomorrow night, which could represent almost 24 hours of snow....

Posted

I hate these situations. The curtain opening moment tomorrow is going to be a moment of genuine tension that only us weather geeks could understand.

Not really, you might hear the rain lashing against the window blum.gif

When its silent you get your hopes up for snow, and pray not to be disappointed!

Edited by Alza

Posted

Simply stay up all night. Problem solved.

Posted

And don't forget east facing high ground in the NE is predicted much higher totals than East Anglia was!

Indeed, I thought that but decided not to type it for some unknown reason lol....the orographic effects of the system slamming against the Pennines can give some huge PPN totals as we saw in the summer with rainfall.....so, lets see...but I think 30-40mm of PPN is not impossible....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Nunthorpe Academy has announced that it will close tomorrow as a result of the severe weather forecast. The sixth form centre will remain open for students sitting external exams

The MeteoGroup have said the big freeze is expected to last until Thursday, when temperatures are set to rise.

Posted

LOL. I was thinking of the all nighter. But my students might not appreciate a semi comatose lecturer.

Posted

Indeed, I thought that but decided not to type it for some unknown reason lol....the orographic effects of the system slamming against the Pennines can give some huge PPN totals as we saw in the summer with rainfall.....so, lets see...but I think 30-40mm of PPN is not impossible....

If it rains in Newcastle I may have to get a bus to Consett to see what its like, if they're running of course!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

LOL. I was thinking of the all nighter. But my students might not appreciate a semi comatose lecturer.

might be off hahaa !

temp 2.2c here dew point -2.5c

Posted

speaking of the East Anglians....heavy lying snow is being reported in Lowestoft.....if you are unsure check on the map....

Posted

speaking of the East Anglians....heavy lying snow is being reported in Lowestoft.....if you are unsure check on the map....

Looks marginal there tonight, good signs perhaps.

Posted

If it rains in Newcastle I may have to get a bus to Consett to see what its like, if they're running of course!

they were off yesterday morning....so yer good luck if this comes off ha ha!!!

Posted

Nunthorpe Academy has announced that it will close tomorrow as a result of the severe weather forecast. The sixth form centre will remain open for students sitting external exams

The MeteoGroup have said the big freeze is expected to last until Thursday, when temperatures are set to rise.

That school always shuts! I went to college in Guisborough which is even higher up than Nunthorpe and that remained open for the majority of the winter of 2009 and 2010. We had to walk around in over a foot of snow and it used to take the college bus 2 hours to travel 12 miles.

In fact that college is opening an hour late tomorrow ha ha, here's hoping Teesside University is closed tomorrow.

Edited by Snowmaggedon

Posted

Had a few all nighters on here over the last decade, radar watching, curtain twitching and lamp post watching, only to be let down badly 90% of the time. Then we had those two great winters that satisfied my need.

Now I'm torn between wanting snow burial tomorrow, or hoping for just a few cms top up which won't prevent me getting out and about with work.