Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Moan,moan,moan.... no need to get upset just cos' I pointed out your misuse of the word 'monotonous' and that you can't have 32C every day of the year. The thread is about summer 2013 an' all I'm saying is that I can't wait to see its demise. When was the last time we had any meaningful rain anyway? And you think you're hard done by. Sheesh! But something good is gonna come of these storms - I can feel it, for the first time in aeons.

Excuse me!!! I moan!!. I think I'm quite positive. I've said this heatwave has been brilliant, would just like it to continue is all. Somebody who likes Sun and heat and wants it to continue vs somebody who likes unsettled conditions, rain and storms and complains about the summer all the time and wishes for 'it's demise' even though they've had unsettled conditions for the best part of seven years. Who sounds the more pessimistic to you?  

And who said I want 32c everyday?, that's unrealistic and won't happen, as much as I'd like it. All I'd like is a nice warm temperature, say about 25c with periods of settled sunshine dispersed with the occasional shower to keep the ground hydrated.

All you seem to do however is complain about a long long heatwave, that has realistically only lasted less than a third of the Summer and wants it to breakdown to gloomy unsettled conditions for the rest of the year, like it has done for the last seven years. 

And you laugh at me saying I'm hard done by Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Revised Scotland 2013 maximum temperature.

Further observations have been received which indicate that the highest temperature seen in Scotland so far this year was 30.0C at Auchtermuchty, Fife on Thursday 18 July.

The records for the rest of the UK remain unchanged with Northern Ireland recording 30.1C at Castlederg, and Wales reaching 31.4C at Porthmadog on Friday 19 July.

The UK and England maximum for 2013 remains the 32.2C recorded at Hampton Water Works, southwest London on Wednesday 17 July

• Like 1

Posted

Revised Scotland 2013 maximum temperature.

The UK and England maximum for 2013 remains the 32.2C recorded at Hampton Water Works, southwest London on Wednesday 17 July

Until later today....

Posted

Doubt we will see a prolonged hot spell  again this summer now.. Even though the bbc weather forecasters keep mentioning this "current heatwave". But only time will tell  Posted Image very cloudy here  in leeds, Was suppose to lift alreadyPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Doubt we will see a prolonged hot spell  again this summer now.. Even though the bbc weather forecasters keep mentioning this "current heatwave". But only time will tell  Posted Image very cloudy here  in leeds, Was suppose to lift alreadyPosted Image

Who is to say that we will not get another hot spell again,maybe even longer.....highly unlikely but 4 weeks ago how many people forcast this hot spell.We still have a possible 8 to 10 weeks where it is possible to get good summer temps,i'll be happy with 2 more nice weeks of those 10 and if it ends being 6 out of 10 then all the better

• Like 1

Posted

I'd never write it off. 

We'd have to go some to get another three weeks of this sort of weather but there's nothing to stop the warm air from Spain coming over again, as long as we have high pressure it's most certainly possible. 

Posted

I hope soPosted Image.. just once we start with rain and showers  it seems to continue in that vain. Guess aslong as the weather  is coming from a warmer source its better than a NW  air flow. Inbetween the rain and showers should be nice.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Oh the humidity, spare me pleeeeease!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Since I have lived in the UK from 1997 there have been 5 previous above average (i.e.17+ on the CET) Julys (1999, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2010). Now 2013 will make a 6th above average July. Yet only once (in 2003) has a good August followed on.

As much as we were overdue a good Summer after 6 blank ones, we are massively overdue a good August. But then again there are plenty of Summers where July takes all and 2013 may end up just being a slightly upscale version of 1999 and 2010.

I wouldn't write off August just yet though. We can still get real heat right up until about the 20th I would say and so its not until about the 10th-12th  if there are no heatwaves in the forecast that I would say Summer is probably over. In other words some 2 weeks after the current outreaches of todays FI. More than enough time for the forthcoming breakdown to work its way through the system and the next stage to declare its hand.

agreed!

Of course September is in Summer. It always greatly annoys me that people seem to think Summer comes to an end on September 1st or 4th for when the holidays are over, the same as people seem to think that June 1st is Summer, or even the middle of May some people!! I don't consider Summer over until the last week of September and even then I've known Indian summers and very warm weather at the end of September or beginning of October. 

You can't put an end date of a season on the start date of the month, like September, especially as the sun's relativity to the Earth, and Meteorologists dictate that the end of Summer is technically September 21st. Even then you can still have very warm weather before or after that date. 

no...meterologically summer ends august 31st, autumn begins sept 1st.

summer isnt about temps and sunshine... if it is then summer can be from march to november! which is ridiculous.

i dont get why people have a problem with these dates, if we get heat in mid september so what? that makes it a warm start to autumn, not a continuation of summer. look at nature, everythings ripened, fruits are ready, crops are in, leaves are shabby and some start to turn (lime, horse chestnut) that to me smacks of autumn, not summer. then theres birdsong, daylength, suns hight in the sky, flowers, i cant get past the fact that by september everything in nature has finished growing, its stopped, its turning, its ripe, its autumn.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

There were plenty of good August's between 1990 and 2003 - then they became pretty rubbish. My birthday (23rd) is almost always cloudy.

Edited by cheese

Posted

agreed!

summer isnt about temps and sunshine... if it is then summer can be from march to november! which is ridiculous.

i dont get why people have a problem with these dates, if we get heat in mid september so what? that makes it a warm start to autumn, not a continuation of summer. look at nature, everythings ripened, fruits are ready, crops are in, leaves are shabby and some start to turn (lime, horse chestnut) that to me smacks of autumn, not summer. then theres birdsong, daylength, suns hight in the sky, flowers, i cant get past the fact that by september everything in nature has finished growing, its stopped, its turning, its ripe, its autumn.

I have to admit I feel the same, I like my seasons to be seasonal and for me warmth in September and October although pleasant is like cold in April wasted.

• Like 2

Posted

agreed!

We class weather  in sequences,  If its warm and sunny in  September we class that as summer weather.. It may not be  summer in name. We can  get snow in May and we would class that has a prolonged winter spell.. I personally would class  September a  summer month more than June..But that latter is  regarded as summer  due to the length of days..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Summer in Scotland doesn't exist.. lol.

I would agree with the post above though, summer for me is the period when I can say for sure that it will at least be warm. For example I class September as more of a summer month down here, it's usually quite a calm and warm month for as long as I can remember, at least until mid month anyway. Septembers in the south are warmer than July up in most of Scotland so this is another reason why I would class it unofficially as a summer month.

May tends to be a funny month.. although I usually class it as a summer month as well but it is not always the case, at the start of the month we are still prone to temperatures of 12C from time to time, such as 2 years ago which was very unpleasantly with easterly winds I remember! From mid month onwards though sub 15C temperatures are very rare and it is normally pleasant enough to call it summer. Added of course to the long daylight hours

Posted

I can see what Mushy means about September but for me a change is more apparent in the second half of the month- the first couple of weeks can feel summery with the sun still relatively high. The leaves generally don't start to change colour until the second half of the month. To me the first half of September isn't hugely different from the last third of August. After around the 20th though the shadows become more noticeable and the sun starts to lose strength in terms of how it feels on the skin. It was apparent in that remarkable hot spell of late Sept/early October 2011 when the sun felt warm but not particularly hot on the skin.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

September for me is an Autumn month, you just don't get the same feel.

• Like 2

Posted

September..it's like May - not exactly summer but can spring some VERY pleasent surprises.

We do need a good August. Despite 2012 being rotten, we did have a good one last year. I think it'll be a mixed month, but with a warm spell in the second half of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I can see what Mushy means about September but for me a change is more apparent in the second half of the month- the first couple of weeks can feel summery with the sun still relatively high. The leaves generally don't start to change colour until the second half of the month. To me the first half of September isn't hugely different from the last third of August. After around the 20th though the shadows become more noticeable and the sun starts to lose strength in terms of how it feels on the skin. It was apparent in that remarkable hot spell of late Sept/early October 2011 when the sun felt warm but not particularly hot on the skin.

agreed the change is more apparent later, but isnt that normal? i mean, things dont change suddenly on sept 1..

We class weather  in sequences,  If its warm and sunny in  September we class that as summer weather.. It may not be  summer in name. We can  get snow in May and we would class that has a prolonged winter spell.. I personally would class  September a  summer month more than June..But that latter is  regarded as summer  due to the length of days..

yes we call it summer like weather, but the seasons still autumn.. like i said, to me summer isnt only about sunshine and temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Summer in Scotland doesn't exist.. lol.

I would agree with the post above though, summer for me is the period when I can say for sure that it will at least be warm. For example I class September as more of a summer month down here, it's usually quite a calm and warm month for as long as I can remember, at least until mid month anyway. Septembers in the south are warmer than July up in most of Scotland so this is another reason why I would class it unofficially as a summer month.

May tends to be a funny month.. although I usually class it as a summer month as well but it is not always the case, at the start of the month we are still prone to temperatures of 12C from time to time, such as 2 years ago which was very unpleasantly with easterly winds I remember! From mid month onwards though sub 15C temperatures are very rare and it is normally pleasant enough to call it summer. Added of course to the long daylight hours

you may need to check facts and not just what you think,am sure that you do not get better Septembers than junes.Maybe the start of sept is warmer than the start of june...am not sure but am sure that is outweighed by the rest of each month!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

you may need to check facts and not just what you think,am sure that you do not get better Septembers than junes.Maybe the start of sept is warmer than the start of june...am not sure but am sure that is outweighed by the rest of each month!

No I said that Septembers here are the same or warmer on average than Scotland is in July with an average high of almost 20C.. that's still pretty summerlike for me but of course the second half of September can be changeable. The first half generally is still warm though, at that point it is too early for cool air to reach us. 

Posted

It can also vary year to year. I doubt many would class March as a winter month but that's exactly what it was this year. Similarly I would class September 2006 as an extension of that summer.

These are exceptional cases though and for the most part the meteorological definitions, though not perfect, are probably the most accurate we have (given that seasonal changes are gradual, any cut-off point is always going to be arbitrary).

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 2

Posted

agreed the change is more apparent later, but isnt that normal? i mean, things dont change suddenly on sept 1..

Yeah I think the end of September is hugely different from the start of the month- I'd go as far as saying that the first week of the month can feel very summery. For instance the first week in 1999 was superb, I remember the sun feeling really hot that week. The days are also still reasonably long at that point. By the second week it starts to get more of an autumnal feel regardless of the temperature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

September is definitely a boundary month and I agree the first week or so can seem very much like summer. But I'd still call it autumn in the same way this March was still spring for me. No matter how cold March got, I was finally coming home from work in daylight for the first time in 4 months so that signals spring to me. June is definitely summer due to the long days.

The most ambiguous one to most people is November. Its cold, dark & the trees are or are almost bare. Xmas is being talked about everywhere and snow can fall. For most people it really feels like the fourth winter month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Here's a sea surface temperature anomaly (SSTA) animation from May 19th to July 23rd. Impressive to see what the last 2 weeks of warmth did around our waters.

Posted Image

It seems like most of the -ve anomalies across the northern hemisphere have faded significantly over the last few weeks.

• Like 2

September is definitely a boundary month and I agree the first week or so can seem very much like summer. But I'd still call it autumn in the same way this March was still spring for me. No matter how cold March got, I was finally coming home from work in daylight for the first time in 4 months so that signals spring to me. June is definitely summer due to the long days.

The most ambiguous one to most people is November. Its cold, dark & the trees are or are almost bare. Xmas is being talked about everywhere and snow can fall. For most people it really feels like the fourth winter month.

I agree with most of what you say, first half of September can be summer like but after mid month its very difficult to get proper summer heat(early Oct 1985/Late Sept 2011 needed exceptional record breaking airmasses to achieve it unlike now.

First week of March winter but then as we approach the spring equinox its definitely spring, November is hard to call, the long darkness hours might give the feel of winter but some warm temps are possible especially the first half with 20.0C+ being recorded which even February hasn't achieved.

• Like 1