Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your central heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted

Once we hit 20.5c at 10am I've left it off since. Am about to pack up some things in the house so the steady 19.3c we're now at will be fine.

19C?? You need to open the doors and windows, Botts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Still not here. 2 fanlight windows always open too. T-shirt in house as well. Can't see things changing for a while either. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Dropped down to 15.8c in here but I got a jumper on and feel fine. No heating needed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Well below 20 in here, no heating required though, only start thinking about it at 16c and then it might not come on until 14c, drinking whisky does the trick, it makes you feel warmer than it is, and even when the outdoor temperature reached -20c in Dec 2010, I still only heated the bedroom, I admit though, it was brutal when I went to the toilet in the middle of the night, but I think why waste money heating every room when your only outside the bedroom for a max of 2 mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

T-shirt in house as well.

Same, and outside too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

house is 13.7c this morning which is a little on the chilly side.

Shall turn heating on this evening after work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Had the woodburner going half a dozen times so far this autumn to take the chill off. I do like a warm house though!

I'm currently in the middle of getting a new oil fired boiler installed (my old one is 15 years old with about 65% efficiency, the new one is 98% efficient!). Also having a new woodburner with a larger back boiler which will heat the radiators to get the warmth around the house - free heat!

I'm thinking about getting an air source heat pump which would do all of my hot water in summer and also help with the heating in winter. Anybody got any experience of them? I know they have been around for a while but people are only just starting to have them installed for domestic use.

Posted

Not yet, but tempted to! We usually like to try and wait until November.

Posted

Still not got it on, won't be coming on now until November Posted Image , cannot see any cold spell coming in the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Posted

Still not got it on, won't be coming on now until November Posted Image , cannot see any cold spell coming in the next 2 weeks.

Agreed!

Still a big fat "No" here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Have had to have it on and off over the last weeks. We have a massive conservatory which leads in to the lounge so when the temp drops at night, it does get chilly in the house and with three young kids and a "i feel the cold even when its hot out" wife, i have had to :-)

I do make sure its not set above 20c tho....if not she would have it on all blooming day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Goodness no its a balmy 9c out

The day 9c is 'balmy' is the day rain becomes 'dry'! :lol:

Working from home this afternoon and house now 17.5c so yes the heating will be going on the moment I get in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Being in halls means I can put the heating on in my room whenever I want without cost, so yes, the past couple of mornings it has been on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

No heating yet. Still very warm at 18.1.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

You're crazy, Botts. No, seriously.

Give it a go - sit in one place working for 4 or so hours in indoor clothing. You soon chill at those sorts of temperatures. 17c is great for striding around in, cleaning the house and so forth but when you're sat on a computer at a desk it just gets too chilly. Yes I can put jumpers, coats & hats on but once your hands end up too chilly to type its game over! 16-18c is a lovely outdoor temperature but not suitable for indoors except when wrapped up at night or when doing a lot of activity.

You'll find most would agree with me - if only they knew the real temperature of their houses and were doing a similar activity. I keep hearing the "I can sit in a t-shirt at 13c with the window open" talk - now show me the data!

Posted

I keep hearing the "I can sit in a t-shirt at 13c with the window open" talk - now show me the data!

I'm doing that right now, and apart from a half-hour jaunt outside in the rain similarly clad, have been doing since about 2pm! No heating on,hasn't been for ages,and it's boiling.

• Like 1

Posted

Thing is I'm one of the hardier people I know as far as temperature goes... always last one to put a coat on and first to take it off! But that's when walking around. Sitting motionless is a whole different animal...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Put it on this morning as it was 15.7C downstairs. I then went to work forgetting to to turn it off. Luckily it doesn't stay on long. Anyway back off again now and looking at the forecast temps won't need it all after tomorrow if I even need it tomorrow.

Posted

A cool 15.6c in here at the moment but no heating on, the mild air is finally reaching us now so it should go up a degree or so indoors, looking at the models cannot see the heating coming on until at least the first week of November, hopefully it will be longer than that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

You'll find most would agree with me

And that's the sad thing, people, generally speaking, are becoming really soft. I haven't yet worn trousers since last Winter, still wearing shorts, and I've got everyone saying "aren't you cold?", when I'm perfectly fine with it. Surely people were never always that soft. Older generations had to sleep through '63 with one fireplace in their house. Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted

And that's the sad thing, people, generally speaking, are becoming really soft. I haven't yet worn trousers since last Winter, still wearing shorts, and I've got everyone saying "aren't you cold?", when I'm perfectly fine with it. Surely people were never always that soft. Older generations had to sleep through '63 with one fireplace in their house.

Older generations used to contend with a lot of things we no longer have to. Be it colder houses, poorer diet due to shortages, more diseases, limited dental care and so on. My dad told me all about winters when he was young especially the colder ones - it was dreadful at times freezing to death only being able to warm up when you finally reach school - the only place with heating! Of course knowing no better it was just something you deal with - but would he want to go back? No way! 

We could wash our clothes by hand, eat only basic limited foods, never leave your local area, never go to the dentist and wash only once a week too in order to be as 'hard' as our ancestors but... I think I'll skip!

Also, does that apply to pleasantly warm weather like 25-27c too? Or even hot stuff like 30c+? Plenty can't deal with heat either - are they 'soft' as well?

Posted

Also, does that apply to pleasantly warm weather like 25-27c too? Or even hot stuff like 30c+? Plenty can't deal with heat either - are they 'soft' as well?

I'm softer than Fairy when it comes to heat, I'll admit it. But hard as nails with the cold!