Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 07/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I realise that you don't take things too seriously from your previous posts

Hi CK

I do have my moments, if its important I can get serious. I have spouted off about subjects of Somerset Levels and Dawlish where I have much experience and professional insight. But banter - well yes everyone needs to breathe and kick back sometimes !

I really am feeling annoyed about the EA and in particular Chris Smith's attitude yesterday on his visit to the Levels. I have made posts elsewhere about it but those poor flooded people and landowners at the mercy of the environmental lobby which is currently far to powerful in my view. 5 weeks and counting - the land has been anaerobically strangled with wastewater and pollutants covering acres. The EA has done great work on tidal defences but lost the plot on fluvial and hydraulic capacity on the Levels - it is perfectly possible to manage water levels with wetlands without compromising land quality and exacerbating flooding - and now the EA seems to be finally admitting that maintenance of hydraulic structures hasn't been adequate. Any civil or environmental engineer with a bit of hydraulic skill could go there and within a couple of days identify the hydraulic deficiencies and get them put right quickly. The affected landowners could probably do so too. There are plenty of reports and studies on the subject of flooding of the Levels - in the 90s I helped write some of them.

I really hope all affected wont suffer too much more, but realistically I am not optimistic about a rapid improvement.

Edited by fluid dynamic
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Happy Anniversary JP. Just checked my join date - 9 years on 23rd this month, but no way as active a poster as you!

Wind very strong and cold on doggy walk but remained dry but getting VERY dark and raining now.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

Posted

Hundreds of homes without power in the South & West of Wales

Many areas around the Thames River are starting to see rising water

Parts of the M25 & M40 motorway is starting to flood due to water surge running off fields

THUNDER, LIGHTNING, HAIL & POSSIBLE TORNADOES

Posted

Waves in excess of 30ft are being recorded at station 62107 Sevenstones Lightship off Penzance ....

Posted Image1560569_10152184480459326_1815181603_n.png

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=62107

Incredible and amazing

Posted

Thanks Yamkin. Have you any idea what the ETA for East Anglia/Suffolk is?

Hi Keraunophile, Storm will also peak around the same time. Take care and be safe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Things are starting to pep up outside in brighton. The rain comes and goes in about 30 second heavy bursts. The wind comes and goes with it.

I haven't been able to keep up too much with this. Are we due a rough afternoon/night here? Met office has Brighton down for yellow warnings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Although bright and sunny now in Croydon, came through squally rain/hail shower at Hayes (Bromley) around 11.30

Quite a lot of the fields/farmland around there, are now under water. Lots of surface water on the road between Coney Hall and Addington Village (known locally as the Mad Mile). Sun shining brightly though and glinting off the now foot deep snow over Val D'Isere, aka Shirley Hills. (You know I'm only joking Yammers) Wink!

Hope this weather doesn't deteriorate further today, it really is getting beyond the joke now and becoming critical for those areas of the country, already badly affected by flooding.

Tom

• Like 2

Posted

Although bright and sunny now in Croydon, came through squally rain/hail shower at Hayes (Bromley) around 11.30

Quite a lot of the fields/farmland around there, are now under water. Lots of surface water on the road between Coney Hall and Addington Village (known locally as the Mad Mile). Sun shining brightly though and glinting off the now foot deep snow over Val D'Isere, aka Shirley Hills. (You know I'm only joking Yammers) Wink!

Hope this weather doesn't deteriorate further today, it really is getting beyond the joke now and becoming critical for those areas of the country, already badly affected by flooding.

Tom

Ah The Mad Mile Not the same since the 40 mph limit was applied. It doesnt flood as bad as it used to since the storm drain was put in at Sparrows Den.

You shoulda popped in for a cuppa Kentish Posted Image

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 1

Posted

Tom

Hi Tom,

Foot of snow!!! Not yet, but will come in time. When the block sets in, things will get very interesting.

Storm will peak approx 19:00 tonight through to approx 07:00 tomorrow Posted Image

Stay safe out there if you have to travel.

Off out myself now.

Yamkin

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Intermittent moderate powder snow creating spiral drifts down the road here.Posted Image ..and then I woke up....it was a dream from almost a year backPosted Image

Can't wait for this wretchedly awful excuse of a 'winter' to go away...Posted Image

Hmm...now give me one good reason why I should sabotage the Hebrew elegance of my name-tag just for the administrative conveniences of some increasingly spurious Snow Cup competition that has been degraded into a wet flake watch insteadPosted Image  

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

There are some very wet areas of parkland across MK with many paths flooded and more flooding likely. Park rangers are reporting that the River Ouzel is on a flood warning and that many paths in Monkston Park are becoming flooded.

post-10773-0-55645900-1391867679_thumb.j

This picture at Caldecotte Lake North by the spillway shows some of the flooding.

post-10773-0-37894400-1391868147_thumb.j

Flooded path at Monkston Park. Rangers advising that Furzton and Teardrop Lakes are currently the only ones without flooding to paths, but this might change after the next lot of rain arrives !

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 6

Posted

Ah The Mad Mile Not the same since the 40 mph limit was applied. It doesnt flood as bad as it used to since the storm drain was put in at Sparrows Den.

You shoulda popped in for a cuppa Kentish Posted Image

Hi Noggin ok mate my phone has changed your name to Noggin, not so smart now phone, eh, like the operator! Yes, doesn't flood as bad as it used to, apparently. Recall a few Winters ago when the rugby pitches at Sparrows Den were under water for a few weeks, remember that?

You must have had that squally hail shower I experienced at Hayes, around 11.30.

Why not come along to an Ian Currie talk then Noggin, I. give up with this phone!

Re. Ian Currie talks, perhaps Ali and Tams would like to say a few words,sorry to put the onus on you ladies! Wink!

Regards,

Tom

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Met office seems to have downgraded us here and wonder if the wind will increase here today?

Posted

Heavy rain and hail is making for an interesting start to the afternoon here. The local rivers are at some of the highest levels I've seen in mr 18 years in St Albans, and it is amazing to think how much rain has fallen to cause that!

MK- I travelled upto Birmingham last weekend, and just after Wolverton station (I was on the train) the outskirts of Wolverton/Newport Pagnell already looked to be well under water, I can't imagine what they look like now!

Posted

now that the little front has passed with the hail, the winds have really picked up

Met office seems to have downgraded us here and wonder if the wind will increase here today?

link?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Re. Ian Currie talks, perhaps Ali and Tams would like to say a few words,sorry to put the onus on you ladies! Wink!

Regards,

Tom

I'm far too shy for public speaking but I'm sure Ali would have a field dayPosted Image

In between showers here btw...

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi Noggin ok mate my phone has changed your name to Noggin, not so smart now phone, eh, like the operator! Yes, doesn't flood as bad as it used to, apparently. Recall a few Winters ago when the rugby pitches at Sparrows Den were under water for a few weeks, remember that?You must have had that squally hail shower I experienced at Hayes, around 11.30.Why not come along to an Ian Currie talk then Noggin, I. give up with this phone!Re. Ian Currie talks, perhaps Ali and Tams would like to say a few words,sorry to put the onus on you ladies! Wink!Regards,Tom

Noggin the Nog eh?? Ian Currie talk?? Re the rugby pitches A family of ducks were there for several days too.

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 2

Posted

Intermittent moderate powder snow creating spiral drifts down the road here.Posted Image ..and then I woke up....it was a dream from almost a year backPosted Image

Can't wait for this wretchedly awful excuse of a 'winter' to go away...Posted Image

Hmm...now give me one good reason why I should sabotage the Hebrew elegance of my name-tag just for the administrative conveniences of some increasingly spurious Snow Cup competition that has been degraded into a wet flake watch insteadPosted Image

Why couldn't you have stuck with Snow Princess, although there aren't many 92 year old Princesses around no doubt, most having reached the status of Queen by then of course. Simply my dear, your name-tag keeps corrupting my font, as it did my Snow Cup list!

Btw, counting snowflakes in your sleep will not count in the Snow Cup competition, although it may well be a novel way of reaching a state of slumber and work better than counting sheep!

Edit: Lady T shy! Ha! I normally can't get a word in edgeways, mainly because I've got my nose in a copy of Rogets Thesaurus, trying to keep up with you, as your conversation becomes sequentially more and more recalcitrant! Joking Tams. Wink!

Tom

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 1

Posted

now that the little front has passed with the hail, the winds have really picked up link?

Sorry can't link from my phone. Last time I looked it didn't even have us in the yellow zone here.

Posted

Really confused with the various forecasts I am watching and listening to today 80 mph winds in one forecast and then not mentioned except for blowy rain showers in another.Then snow chance for Tuesday then seemingly no chance on another. Think I need to stop mixing my forecast following and stick to one source as it is becoming increasingly muddling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

MK- I travelled upto Birmingham last weekend, and just after Wolverton station (I was on the train) the outskirts of Wolverton/Newport Pagnell already looked to be well under water, I can't imagine what they look like now!

Something like this ?

post-10773-0-41034000-1391870233_thumb.j

Actually I doubt it's quite as bad here this photo is of a Great Western train in Somerset !

• Like 1