Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st June 2020onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
Just now, Ben Sainsbury said:

Can't be another storm heading towards Liverpool surely!

Looks like it although Cheshire/ Greater Manchester looking like getting the best of it. Stoke got a direct hit. Thunder & Lightning now ramping up big time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
13 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

It's called 'Sheet' lightning not heat lightning ;) it's because it illuminates the cloud in a giant sheet of light. But in reality it's just internal cloud lightning happening at night.  Heats got nothing to do with it  

Looks like the main center has passed over me and is around Biddulph now.

Heat lightning is a made up name to describe lightning that isn't accompanied by thunder. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Looks like it although Cheshire/ Greater Manchester looking like getting the best of it. Stoke got a direct hit. Thunder & Lightning now ramping up big time. 

Hope that guy from Congelton who was upset he hadn't seen any storms earlier is awake for this!! Couple of hits that are close to there!

Edited by Ruck Bodgers
  • Like 3

Posted

Cant  believe leicester was the talk of the forum tonight!!how often do we say that!!storm has now passed through and clearing up ready for another round later

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

Cant  believe leicester was the talk of the forum tonight!!how often do we say that!!storm has now passed through and clearing up ready for another round later

The Leicester cell hit us in Stoke, and is moving into the cheshire area, would be interesting if it keeps going to Chester/Runcorn/Liverpool area.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Rains really picking up again here. Possible backbuilding?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Well, what a day it has been!

Managed to get only one rumble of thunder from a storm at around 8:10pm. 3 hours later, a distant lightning display appeared along with some incredible noctilucent clouds!

87D903F1-2826-4130-87DC-05E626E79EAA.thumb.jpeg.76bc335256e22cbd423355abb4be4619.jpeg

6784FE38-017E-4E2A-9637-BF5EC45B8383.thumb.jpeg.4de6efa3cecdd5db0206713e93720323.jpeg

56F5FA82-CA79-40D9-B8F8-6439133B755D.thumb.jpeg.e48ddf5809696f72d42b37ea71618ee1.jpeg

A037427B-EF47-4E25-AB1E-024CB06AF2DE.thumb.jpeg.c147607cacc72f121fab1edd41913b2b.jpeg

The noctilucent clouds are to the right.

I also managed to capture a flash of lightning as well as the NLCs in the same photo. You have to be in a VERY dark room to see both of them though. The lightning (to the left) and NLCs (to the right) are both circled.

A1E468A4-0584-4813-9343-DDA50F57EB83.thumb.jpeg.f2e91bef476d1e76f9138f7edb623adc.jpeg
C340D3D8-126B-4C3E-9526-D7E719BA6DFA.thumb.png.b3d3d3a399e3b47aa3e49e2a281718f4.png

I will probably never see the combination of both again in a long time.

Oh what a night, oh what a nightttt...

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Ruck Bodgers said:

Hope that guy from Congelton who was upset he hadn't seen any storms earlier is awake for this!! 

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing after looking at the radar

Finally got some rain!

Posted

That was pretty awesome for a hour, I just had to grab the camera and run up on the field while the view was still clear enough to get some snaps. These were taken around 11:30pm when the cell was moving into the Leek area although like a amateur I was in such a hurry I made the rookie error of forgetting the spare battery  but I can't complain sitting out and watching it for a while after busy getting the pics.

DSC_0155.thumb.JPG.a3e4ef5dbba98696b70e7bc880c21bbe.JPGDSC_0186.thumb.JPG.5f6a1203ee63507d4c6950a7efbbb6f6.JPGDSC_0197.thumb.JPG.870200c1839f749e7d2bf461ef6485dc.JPGDSC_0246.thumb.JPG.07b6bf1cff37cdf0c25414985e677dba.JPG

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ruck Bodgers said:

Hope that guy from Congelton who was upset he hadn't seen any storms earlier is awake for this!! Couple of hits that are close to there!

Yea I am awake. Lol. At last, its lovely! 

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Ryukai said:

Rains really picking up again here. Possible backbuilding?

Aye, what is going on with the Rainfall? The radar keeps showing a constant stream starting off from West Rutland/Leicester up through to Stoke into Cheshire and it keeps building itself!

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ruck Bodgers said:

He'd have to be deaf to sleep through this!  

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azuremoon2 said:

Yea I am awake. Lol. At last, its lovely! 

1 minute ago, Ryukai said:

He'd have to be deaf to sleep through this!  

Hurray!!

It it’s crazy here in Fenton. It’s been thundering and lightning for an hour and a half. Everywhere is flooded and it keeps on getting direct hits, you can see the orange flame going back up to the sky, scary to try to sleep to or if you have animals. It isn’t moving nowhere. It sounds like a tornado just tearing the city apart. Never seen anything like this with so many direct hits. It has struck the mast around 4 or 5 times as you see it going shooting back upwards. It has lightning conductors on however is the highest point in the area.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Scene in Crewe

image.thumb.png.c5523eb15d181fb79fcf07428b4546b9.png

Amazing amount isn't it? Still hear odd distant rumblings from here, although the lightning sites are definitely not showing a lot of the activity going on!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The ingredients are there for tomorrow to be more severe for more places...

Hoping we can get lucky again. I've seen plenty of lightning but no direct hit from precipitation cores as of yet. Here's hoping!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

This what you were talking about earlier? @Ryukai

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ruck Bodgers said:

Aye, what is going on with the Rainfall? The radar keeps showing a constant stream starting off from West Rutland/Leicester up through to Stoke into Cheshire and it keeps building itself!

Urban Heat Island effect maybe?  We've basically had nothing over the NE side of Stoke-on-Trent for the last 3 days, everything's been skirting the edge of us going over the SW side. Humidity's also been stupid for the last 3 days too, around 80%, so maybe it's finally being given a chance to let go, so to speak.

1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

The ingredients are there for tomorrow to be more severe for more places...

Hoping we can get lucky again. I've seen plenty of lightning but no direct hit from precipitation cores as of yet. Here's hoping!

Indeed, it’s absolutely belting down. I’ll be surprised if there arent’t floods or water damage to some of these houses. It’s coming down like hail for nearly an hour. Fun but annoying as the odd flash of lightning catches you off guard. Here’s one my brothers mate captured the other side of the mast. Just ignore the quality. He tried

176C6DE1-EB97-4F58-A77F-DAB7FD137B76.jpeg

Posted
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Ah yes the earthquake.......  I remember that beasty boy from a bit ago

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
4 minutes ago, matt111 said:

100% a positive strike, unmistakable sound that.

• Like 2