Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Davies new tipping bucket

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well a little bit of blu tack to increase the weight needed to tip the bucket has made all the difference. Still not good in heavy rain but much better than the default state. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Well the blu tac is working a treat last recent rain and it's only out by a few mm. It would have been showing 25mm more likely or not rather than 16.8mm. Actual rain 19.3 mm and we had around 3mm so it's not far off.

Posted

Didn't do very well with the heavy rain yesterday under recordeding by quite a bit.

Perhaps you already are aware of this but I put it here as I think it provides good info to folk who are having troubles with the rain gauge.

WWW.MANULA.COM

Apparent inaccurate readings The commonest support issue with rain gauges is suspected inaccurate readings. In many cases the rain gauge is actually not at fault...

Hope it helps you or orthers.

Ohm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The newer VP2 spoon tipper is dreadful. I had three and they all over-read, significantly. They were tested against manual gauges and other mechanical rain tippers and it was clear to see how bad it was.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 hours ago, Ohm said:

Re: the difference between gauges/measurements, it's a bit like that old saying ...

" If you have one watch - you know what the time is, if you have two watches, you are never quite sure! "

No, sorry. You are wrong.

During heavy precipitation, the new spoon tipper dramatically over-reads. I did multiple tests where I had manual gauges both on the ground, as well as mechanical tippers, and at the same height as the spoon tipper. All gauges apart from the spoon tipper would be within 1mm of each other.  After rain events of 15mm, the spoon tipper would read as much as 5mm more. The heavier the precipitation, the higher that over-read would become.

There were several events where it was in excess of 10mm higher than all other gauges. It even gave me a rain rate of 411.4 mm/hr - it was not fit for purpose, neither were the other two that I tried. The problem lies with the spoon tipping earlier than it should do during heavy precipitation, and not tipping when the spoon is completely full.

The see-saw tipper does not have this issue.

Posted
On 24/10/2023 at 22:55, Mapantz said:

The see-saw tipper does not have this issue.

Yes it does although it does have calibration so you can reduce the error somewhat but it will always be inaccurate.

• 2 months later...
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well the calibration with a little bit of blu tac as worked quiet well. It's still slightly off but much better than at default settings. I maybe able to get it closer if I wanted by moving or reducing the amount blu tac.

Edited by The PIT