Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arctic Sea Ice - 2023/24 Refreeze Season

Geordiesnow

Posted

With the minimum looking like it's been reached now(settled at 4.13 million square miles on JAXA figures which is 5th lowest on record), I think it's time for the refreeze thread now.

I can only hope once the winter months arrive we get plenty of cold Arctic highs which I believe is the favourable weather pattern for sea ice thickening. 

Anything but Arctic highs in the upcoming forecast though with the basin set to be dominate by a massive low pressure system and with winds largely coming in from the open water, needless to say Arctic temperatures are going to be way above average even over the ice itself(which has been the case all through this month).

It's been a dreadful start to the refreeze season it's fair to say, I thought 2020 was warm but I wouldn't be surprised if this year matches that or even exceeds it. There is alot of heat in the Northern hemisphere and the PV is really struggling to form at all levels.

Still don't think refreeze will be as slow as 2020 was as the Arctic SSTS are not too extreme and ice melt in parts was late but the weather is doing its best to slow things down. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Another report …..

(deleted - wrong thread!)

Edited by Sky Full