Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter driving advice after the deep snow in the Lake District

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

4 winter tyres fitted to cars makes all the difference between getting stuck and not getting stuck, anyone YouTube winter tyres Vs all season tyres. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
8 hours ago, sorepaw1 said:

4 winter tyres fitted to cars makes all the difference between getting stuck and not getting stuck, anyone YouTube winter tyres Vs all season tyres. 

The best advice is not to go out in the car if the snow is a foot deep.

Winter tyres are great, but they won’t stop you getting stuck if the cars in front are blocking the road.  

A car capable of navigating off the road with AT tyres is far more useful in this weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Beanz said:

The best advice is not to go out in the car if the snow is a foot deep.

Winter tyres are great, but they won’t stop you getting stuck if the cars in front are blocking the road.  

A car capable of navigating off the road with AT tyres is far more useful in this weather. 

Disagree you can be a work when the snow and ice arrives , or wake up in the morning , just saying generally winter tyres make the difference between getting stuck and not. Not everyone has a 4x4.

Posted
11 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

Disagree you can be a work when the snow and ice arrives , or wake up in the morning , just saying generally winter tyres make the difference between getting stuck and not. Not everyone has a 4x4.

Disagree with what?  I got stuck overnight on the M11 - I had winter tyres on the car, it didn’t help me.  Staying home or at work, would have helped me.  A 4x4 with appropriate tyres, would have helped me.  

Winter tyres are great, but in a foot of snow your average saloon car will still get stuck, no matter what tyres it has on.

Posted

I used to have a Lexus LS400 25 years ago with winter tyres on and that got through deep snow and it was rear wheel drive. A lot boils down to driver ability too,

My wife drives a 2022 Suzuki Vitara Hybrid 4X4 .

And I drive a 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness both cars are outstanding. 

Staying at home obviously helps but not everyone can.

Take  care beanz,  I'm personally looking forward to the next cold 🥶 spell.

Posted
18 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

I used to have a Lexus LS400 25 years ago with winter tyres on and that got through deep snow and it was rear wheel drive. A lot boils down to driver ability too,

My wife drives a 2022 Suzuki Vitara Hybrid 4X4 .

And I drive a 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness both cars are outstanding. 

Staying at home obviously helps but not everyone can.

Take  care beanz,  I'm personally looking forward to the next cold 🥶 spell.

So you drive 2 4x4 vehicles…it seems you DO agree with me in practice, if not in in theory 😉

Posted
13 minutes ago, Beanz said:

So you drive 2 4x4 vehicles…it seems you DO agree with me in practice, if not in in theory 😉

I have to given where I live , narrow roads covered in mud , my wife works for the NHS in the local community her job is vital to some patients. 

It's like now it's heavy rain showers here and with the snow thawing the roads have deep standing water.

:santa-emoji: a nice 1050mb high pressure would be nice. 

Resized_20231203_134611.jpeg

Edited by sorepaw1
Photo
  • Like 1

Posted

As already said, driver ability, or at least experience driving on snow is key.

The obvious one is to slow down and do everything as smoothly as you possible can. Traction is key. If your wheels start to slip through acceleration, cornering, or braking then back-off, regain traction and try again more gently. You should expect to have to correct things frequently like this, so anticipate it and allow plenty of additional space and time.

Winter tyres and/or 4WD most certainly help, but they are not a panacea. That is especially true when it comes to braking. All cars have 4 wheel braking so you are no better off in a 4WD, slow down and brake early and gently. Engine braking is essential, particularly if you are going downhill, don't forget that engine braking can still cause the car to slide, particularly if it's a sudden shift. If you drive an automatic make sure you know how to change gears manually, it really is an essential skill on snow.

If your wheels start to slip when accelerating, do not step on the gas harder and try to power your way out of it, you'll just end up sliding into the gutter (or if unlucky an oncoming car). Lift off, and try again more gently, perhaps try a higher gear, don't worry about speed, focus on keeping your drive wheels turning without spinning. Be aware of whether you are driving a FWD, RWD, or 4WD car, they all react differently when you lose traction and it helps knowing what to expect.

The bottom line though, no matter how capable you are, or your car is, if the road is blocked by other cars you are going nowhere.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, mfhblue said:

As already said, driver ability, or at least experience driving on snow is key.

The obvious one is to slow down and do everything as smoothly as you possible can. Traction is key. If your wheels start to slip through acceleration, cornering, or braking then back-off, regain traction and try again more gently. You should expect to have to correct things frequently like this, so anticipate it and allow plenty of additional space and time.

Winter tyres and/or 4WD most certainly help, but they are not a panacea. That is especially true when it comes to braking. All cars have 4 wheel braking so you are no better off in a 4WD, slow down and brake early and gently. Engine braking is essential, particularly if you are going downhill, don't forget that engine braking can still cause the car to slide, particularly if it's a sudden shift. If you drive an automatic make sure you know how to change gears manually, it really is an essential skill on snow.

If your wheels start to slip when accelerating, do not step on the gas harder and try to power your way out of it, you'll just end up sliding into the gutter (or if unlucky an oncoming car). Lift off, and try again more gently, perhaps try a higher gear, don't worry about speed, focus on keeping your drive wheels turning without spinning. Be aware of whether you are driving a FWD, RWD, or 4WD car, they all react differently when you lose traction and it helps knowing what to expect.

The bottom line though, no matter how capable you are, or your car is, if the road is blocked by other cars you are going nowhere.

as someone who drives in the snow for 6 months of the year this pretty good advice..stay in low gear and pump the breaks if you start to slide ..do not ever slam on the brakes and or keep your foot on the brake or else you will just continue to slide..let the wheels slowly move in low gear and traction will be recovered quickly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

If you're driving in deep snow, disable the traction control system - have a look in the car manual to see how and when to do this as different manufacturers implement their systems differently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

There are also some good traction aids that can really help, look up Autosocks..

Below is what I posted on a local Facebook page. Note had I not been away for the weekend I would have been assisting with coordinating the rescue efforts on Saturday and Sunday...My son was out there helping.

Hi All
I missed all the fun of the weekend as I was away, but seeing all the posts made me think that maybe I could pass on some useful advice for those who maybe had a bit of a scary experience driving in the snow. I’ve driven a long way over the years, quite a bit of it in poor weather – snow, fog, heavy rain etc., and have learned quite a few things that might help.
1. Tyres – I’m lucky, my company pays to swap my “summer” standard tyres for full cold weather tyres, but for most that’s a bit of a faff, so when you change your tyres next time, look at “all weather” or “all season” these will work well in winter and summer and give a good compromise on both. That’s what many Police forces run, including I believe Cumbria. I don’t want to get too deep into the science, but “standard” tyres are 10% less efficient at 7 degrees C than above it and get progressively worse as the temperature drops. All Season tyres are good in the cold and the wet, which we get far more of than we do road temperatures of above 50C! 
2. If you can’t get all weather tyres for whatever reason, try Autosocks, amazing difference to traction for moving, steering and stopping, dead easy to fit, and will get you home or to a place of safety, available here https://www.roofbox.co.uk/car-snow-socks/watch the video – they really could be a life saver! Dead easy to fit and completely re-usable.
3. Carry a folding shovel – again a Godsend at the right time! also available here https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/billat_telescopic_snow_shovel_with_icebreaker_blade_gd067/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb{~cC4urewtA3c(no I’m not on commission!)
4. Decent screenwash – try to get something rated down to -10C or even -20C there’s nothing quite like being able to see where you’re going and it’s awful when you press your
5. Rain-X or similar rain repellent – put it on side and rear windows and door mirrors (I don’t like the micro-dots it creates on windscreens, especially at night). Dead easy to use, just follow instructions, and it will help massively with visibility, dirt literally wipes off with a sponge and a quick rinse and frost just scrapes off very easily.
6. Remember a decent warm coat, hat & gloves and have a head torch in the glove box, just something to light your way, maybe summon help and allow you to be seen. You could use it on a trudge to safety if you didn’t buy the autosocks! Plus snacks and drink – maybe put a couple of bottles of water in the car with a few snacks nothing worse than being hungry when you’re stuck!

Happy to point people in the right direction if anyone has any questions.

• Like 1