Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Question RE Wind Gusts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Hi! For Christmas, I finally got a weather station, and I set it up ready to record from the New Year, so I'm quite new to this whole game. 

I've spotted something quite disappointing on both WU and Weathercloud; the strongest gusts you see on screen get missed in the data uploaded. I understand that the uploads are periodic, but it seems such a shame, and I feel a bit ripped off to not see the strongest gusts recorded in my data. 

For example, yesterday afternoon when the winds peaked, I watched the console for a while and saw a gust of 56.6mph come up at one point. However, if you look just at the data on the two sites, you see a max gust of 45.2mph on WC, and 54.4mph on WU (much better, but still clearly missing the strongest gusts!). I noticed this in January too, with the strongest gust shown on WU being 49mph. I recall that day being windier than yesterday, too!

It seems a real shame you can't record data on the console itself and not have to miss extremes due to the nature of these uploads. I take it there's no way around this?

While I'm here, is there a way to change WU's dashboard to mph? The site seems very lacking in settings and I'm not keen on the km/h it's stuck on.

Edited by ChannelThunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

What weather station are you using?

I'll take a guess at Ecowitt?

As for Wunderground, you can't have mixed units on their site unfortunately. If you set it to mph, you'll get Fahrenheit for temperatures. If you want Celsius for temperatures, you're stuck with Km/h for wind speeds.

Wunderground is a sore point with weather station owners. Many have stopped sending them data due to so many issues and things being removed with zero support or communication.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Mapantz

What weather station are you using?

ACCUR8 DWS7100. 

As for Wunderground, you can't have mixed units on their site unfortunately. If you set it to mph, you'll get Fahrenheit for temperatures. If you want Celsius for temperatures, you're stuck with Km/h for wind speeds.

Wunderground is a sore point with weather station owners. Many have stopped sending them data due to so many issues and things being removed with zero support or communication.

Ah, that's a bugger, but glad I wasn't just missing the setting. Your post led me to realise you can change it within the Wundermap, rather than the dashboard, and then those changes get applied to the DB. A little annoying that you can only change those settings in groups but I guess I'll live with it! 

Thank you for the reply 🙂