Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports - 15th April 2005

highcliffe2

Posted

I can't quite believe there isn't a thread up about this already :angry:

I had the most amazing storm here in Highcliffe today. The day started gorgeous, I looking out of the window at school at 10 and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. When we went outside for break at 11, there were a few more clouds, but it was warm. The forecast earlier that morning had suggested a few heavy showers, but being on the coast we were expected to stay driest. I had a 2 hour exam, came out around 1:15 and there was a lot more cloud, more threatening and the floor was a little wet obviously due to some rain around 10 minutes before. Then we had our lunch break, and we played footy on the field. During that time there were 2 lightning strikes that I was lucky to both see. One of them was accompanied by very loud thunder, for a split-second everyone goes silent, then you hear the screams lol :angry:

We came in at 2:15, not suspecting what was to happen next. We had heard distant rumbes of thunder from around 1:30pm, but during the lesson at around 2:30pm, there was a lightning strike and then the most massive thunder you have ever heard. It must have been right above us, it physically shook the windows. Then there was another one, with nearly exactly the same consequences. When we left school we later found out that one of the strikes migt have hit our Technology block, or one of the portable huts. I wouldn't have been surprised.

So overall, by far the loudest thunder I have ever heard, and a fantastic day weather-wise :angry::angry:

EDIT: Currently having heavy rain, and just had some hail

Posted

Clouds around exeter have been building since noon. Now very dark but have not had much in the way of heavy rain but looks very grim over towards dartmoor/torbay.

Posted

At around 2 this afternoon we had a very heavy hail storm that turned into heavy rain with some great thunder that lasted till about 2.35.

Had a couple more heavy downpours throughout the afternoon with a couple of rumbles of thunder.

Posted
Clouds around exeter have been building since noon.  Now very dark but have not had much in the way of heavy rain but looks very grim over towards dartmoor/torbay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My brother reported a thunderstorm in Plymouth yesterday afternoon.