Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Chase Log 23 May 2005

Guest ChaserUK

Guest ChaserUK

CO to tempting to miss so heading for that area and see how things pan out. SPC do hint at sustained supercells with a tornado possibility and upslope flow and dp's around the low 50's can yield good results at those higher elevations. Target area probably Limon. Indeed, there was a supercell there last year that produced 7 tornadoes - all very different in appearance and character.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Matt and Team

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Let's hope your luck is about to change. It's a shame films like 'Twister' don't depict the reality of chasing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Looks like you've picked well this time. Limon, Lincoln County, Colorado is under a Severe Thunderstorm warning and Tornado watch at the moment. Some very nice looking cells just to the south. Hope you've got yourself positioned well as those roads around there don't seem too great :) ACtually looks like a third cell heading straight towards limon. Might be a better option as it will follow I70 eastwards I believe

Posted

Currently 610pm over in the States and things are really kicking off now, just looked on the SPC & Parts of Western/Sw Nebraska and Western Kansas are now in the firing line for Supercells in the next few hours, these storms have moved east from Colorado where Matt &Co positioned themselves today so should be trackable in the next few hours. Good luck guys, these certainly look likely to produce Isolated Tornadoes :D:D:D

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Your lucks got to change for the better soon, today could be the day.

Guest ChaserUK

Sorry about the lateness of the report but wifi was down in the hotel. In any case, on our way to E CO we saw cells develop 80 miles in front of us in NE NM - we decided as these were closer we would chase them instead.

At last although no tornadoes we were treated to very very beautiful supercells, or developing sc's which could not quite bring it together. Baron's detected MESO's all over the shop and we got pounded by large hail.

Will post pics tonight and I am sure these might be some of the best so far.

First time here in New Mexico, seen a real roadrunner and managed to dent the chase vehicle - the Alamo will not be happy when we return the vehicle!

Guest ChaserUK

As promised pictures from the chase on 23 May - not as dramatic as 24th but still very good.

Pic 1 - The approach to the storm in NM.

Pic 2 - Mammatus - I just know you like these pics!

Pic 3 - Inflow band into a nice updraft - however, the updraft is not isolated enough and cold outflow from nearby storm soon interupts the moisture intake

Pic 4 - A new updraft therefore tried to form.

Pic 5 - Just plain weird - had to auto contrast this on the PC to bring it out but this my best guess in convection underneath an updraft.

Pic 6 - Just a nice pic.

Pic 7 - More off cloud formations trying to enhance an updraft region.

Pic 8 - More mammatus - yes again I had to auto contrast to enhance the image.

Pic 9 - As the storm moved out East and the sun sets, this was out view.

Pic 10 - My arty picture for the day as the sun sets.

post-14-1116996869_thumb.jpg

post-14-1116996901.jpg

post-14-1116996925.jpg

post-14-1116996983.jpg

post-14-1116997037_thumb.jpg

post-14-1116997072.jpg

post-14-1116997167.jpg

post-14-1116997261_thumb.jpg

post-14-1116997337.jpg

post-14-1116997378_thumb.jpg

Archived