Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Notable maxima in April that I have recorded are:

21.3C - Saturday 22nd April 2006

23.4C - Saturday 30th April 2005

22.8C - Saturday 24th April 2004

25.6C - Friday 16th April 2003

20.2C - Thursday 25th April 2002

I know for a fact that there were a lot of nice warm days in April 1999. The 25th was a lovely day followed by thunderstorms on the 26th.

certainly remember WEDNESDAY 16th April 03, i think it was 25oC, sort of stuff i want in April really i think

Posted

I can remember the April 03 hot spell as well. havnt got any records but it was very hot for the time of year. 25c + which is rather good here in april! (as Devon-Nelly said for torbay) I can remember us saying for a joke 'well if its this warm now what will it be like in summer'. oddly enough the UK recorded a new record maximum of 38.5c that summer and we had 33/34c here the same day :) usually it dosnt get above 30c even in a heatwave here due to cooling sea breezes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
It was definitely embeded into the setup of spring 1995, however the summer of 1995 was the driest on record and quite possibly the sunniest as well as the second hotest, so i would'nt say three fine days and a thunderstorm charecterised the summer, more like a month.

Although I was very very young at the time, I remember 1995 very much. There were two good thunderstorms though on the the 26th and 31st. Is there any way of finding charts for these dates.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

You can get historic charts from the Net-weather Datacentre.

March through May 1995 was a period of switch-arounds, with very warm settled spells often followed abruptly by Arctic outbreaks and vice versa, similar synoptics continued during June but the northerlies during the first half of June were mostly of the cold cloudy variety. I don't think the period was notable for thunderstorms, although the showery northerly outbreaks often produced hail and local thunder. Then in July/August the Arctic outbreaks largely ceased and the weather was predominantly hot and sunny but with a few thundery interruptions in July. The driest summer on record over England & Wales, one of the hottest on record, and the sunniest over Scotland & Ireland.

In April, I think only 2003 has come close to replicating 1949 over much of the country in recent years, I think date records were set on the 16th with many areas having highs of 24-27C.

April 1999 had plenty of warm weather early and late (sandwiching a notable wintry spell around midmonth) but nothing on the scale of 1949 or 2003.

• 1 year later...